Journal Club

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Journal Club

#21  Postby MedGen » Jun 08, 2010 7:37 pm

I think we need to set out some exact guidelines, then open up to article proposals.

How about:
[1] Articles can be put forward by any member, but need to open-access.
[2] Several articles can be proposed, and a vote taken, alternatively, the someone steps forward to volunteer each week with their particular article.
[3] One or two weeks are given for everyone to read and digest the article.
[4] A thread is opened by whoever proposed the article (probably best to PM everyone in the discussion group so they know about it too) and the discussion follows from their.

Perhaps this way an article can be discussed every 2-3 weeks.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Mazille » Jun 08, 2010 7:39 pm

MedGen wrote:I think we need to set out some exact guidelines, then open up to article proposals.

How about:
[2] Several articles can be proposed, and a vote taken, alternatively, the someone steps forward to volunteer each week with their particular article.
[4] A thread is opened by whoever proposed the article (probably best to PM everyone in the discussion group so they know about it too) and the discussion follows from their.

Good idea.
Although I think it would be better to appoint only one person, which is then responsible for opening the threads, etc. since otherwise it could lead to confusion. The articles are - of course - chosen in the way you described. Just the organisational framework that should be more stream-lined, methinks. :think:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#23  Postby MedGen » Jun 10, 2010 8:19 am

Mazille wrote:
MedGen wrote:I think we need to set out some exact guidelines, then open up to article proposals.

How about:

Good idea.
Although I think it would be better to appoint only one person, which is then responsible for opening the threads, etc. since otherwise it could lead to confusion. The articles are - of course - chosen in the way you described. Just the organisational framework that should be more stream-lined, methinks. :think:

Okay, that seems like a better idea. I was hoping for a bit more interest, perhaps leave it for another week and try and drum up some more interest before getting started.

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Lazar » Jun 10, 2010 9:08 am

I say build it and they will come. I would think it would be best to pick an article (of your choosing Medgen) and just get the ball rolling.

Spinozasgalt: "And how come no one ever sigs me?"
Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#25  Postby MedGen » Jun 10, 2010 10:44 am

Lazar wrote:I say build it and they will come. I would think it would be best to pick an article (of your choosing Medgen) and just get the ball rolling.

Okay, I'll have a scout around and find an open-access article of interest.

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Mazille » Jun 10, 2010 10:47 am

I don't know if everyone's interested in this, but I recently read one from "Nature", which is openly accessible here.

Goldman, Nanna/ et. al. (2010): Adenosine A1 receptors mediate local anti-nociceptive effects of acupuncture.

I think Mr. Samsa already read it as well, as far as I can remember. Rather interesting, and a lot to discuss about it. Of course, I can understand if you want an article no-one has read yet. :dunno:

Just putting it out there.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Lazar » Jun 10, 2010 10:48 am

MedGen wrote:
Lazar wrote:I say build it and they will come. I would think it would be best to pick an article (of your choosing Medgen) and just get the ball rolling.

Okay, I'll have a scout around and find an open-access article of interest.

:thumbup:

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby MedGen » Jun 10, 2010 11:13 am

Mazille wrote:I don't know if everyone's interested in this, but I recently read one from "Nature", which is openly accessible here.

Goldman, Nanna/ et. al. (2010): Adenosine A1 receptors mediate local anti-nociceptive effects of acupuncture.

I think Mr. Samsa already read it as well, as far as I can remember. Rather interesting, and a lot to discuss about it. Of course, I can understand if you want an article no-one has read yet. :dunno:

Just putting it out there.

That sounds interesting, I've found one other article, but I'm not sure if people will be too enthusiastic about it.

Schroth. W., Goetz. M.P., Hamann. U., et al. Association between CYP2D6 polymorphisms and outcomes among women with early stage breast cancer treated with tamoxifen. JAMA 302(13), 1429-1436

Free available here

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Lazar » Jun 10, 2010 11:25 am

All suggestions sound interesting so far. I think it would be nice to emphasise a multi-disciplinary approach where different articles from different fields are discussed over the course of the year so we get a nicely rounded science education.

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#30  Postby natselrox » Jun 10, 2010 12:26 pm

Both the articles sound interesting. You can go with either.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#31  Postby MedGen » Jun 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Okay, I'm going to go with the tamoxifen study. I figured that the person that proposes the article can be the one to lead the discussion, and people can raise any questions, or parts they didn't understand. Shall we start after the weekend, on Monday say? That way we can hopefully get a few more people involved.

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Lazar » Jun 10, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks Medgen. Downloaded but will need a hefty dictionary to get though. In payment I will dig up a nice statistics article to share....that should be fun for all involved.

Could I also suggest that mjpam gets the next slot for his suggestion (if he agrees)?

mjpam wrote:
Lazar wrote:
Mazille wrote:
natselrox wrote:At least we should start the club. Even if we have to limit the discussion to members who have access to the article.

I dunno. There is a wealth of peer-reviewed articles freely available online. I don't think it would be a problem to limit ourselves to those.

:this:

My thoughts exactly.

Are we looking for something fairly recent?

Might I suggest Climbing Mount Probable: Mutation as a Cause of Nonrandomness in Evolution?

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Mazille » Jun 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Lazar wrote:Thanks Medgen. Downloaded but will need a hefty dictionary to get though. In payment I will dig up a nice statistics article to share....that should be fun for all involved.

Oh, crap. :nono:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Lazar » Jun 10, 2010 8:28 pm

Mazille wrote:
Lazar wrote:Thanks Medgen. Downloaded but will need a hefty dictionary to get though. In payment I will dig up a nice statistics article to share....that should be fun for all involved.

Oh, crap. :nono:

:plot:

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#35  Postby MedGen » Jun 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Could I also suggest that mjpam gets the next slot for his suggestion (if he agrees)?

mjpam wrote:
Lazar wrote:
Mazille wrote:
natselrox wrote:At least we should start the club. Even if we have to limit the discussion to members who have access to the article.

I dunno. There is a wealth of peer-reviewed articles freely available online. I don't think it would be a problem to limit ourselves to those.

:this:

My thoughts exactly.

Are we looking for something fairly recent?

Might I suggest Climbing Mount Probable: Mutation as a Cause of Nonrandomness in Evolution?

Oh goody. :-?

Yeah, I agree that mjpam should have the next slot too.

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 11, 2010 3:11 am

Where's everyone from the science writing comp? I'm sure most of them would be interested. This should be right up Hack and DarwinsBulldog's alley.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#37  Postby natselrox » Jun 11, 2010 3:24 am

Tamoxifen study it is then. We should inform GenesForLife, he'd be interested in this as well.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 11, 2010 3:27 am

natselrox wrote:Tamoxifen study it is then. We should inform GenesForLife, he'd be interested in this as well.

Maybe we should start PMing some people, as they're obviously too lazy to read through the thread themselves? I'll PM Hack and DB, and others can just PM whoever they can think of, including genesforlife.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#39  Postby Mantisdreamz » Jun 11, 2010 3:50 am

MedGen wrote:It is often customary in research groups and departments to hold journal clubs, where various journals of interest are discussed on a regular basis. I thought perhaps that this may also work quite well here on the forum. The idea is that a single article is picked each week or fortnight (or however often), giving enough time for everyone to read it. The paper is then discussed amongst the group; the conclusions, the methodology, what could be improved, etc.

This may also be a good way to help laypeople to understand the technical aspects of scientific papers that are so often such a barrier to fully understanding them. There are a few professionals here on the forum, as well as many educated and interested laypeople.

I'd like to see what people's opinions are of this idea, and perhaps start something up in the next few weeks or so. I for one would like to broaden my scientific knowledge further, and this is often a great way of achieving that goal.

I'm in for the idea. As I'm not completely savvy in the way of scientific articles, I would be completely into trying to interpret them for how I see it, and then receiving possible criticism. Best way to learn, I think. :cheers:
ImageImageImage
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#40  Postby GenesForLife » Jun 11, 2010 5:16 am

Hello, I'm game :D
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post