Journal Club

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Journal Club

#81  Postby GenesForLife » Oct 13, 2010 7:00 am

Different people copy different sections and post it here :P
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby newolder » Mar 13, 2011 8:08 pm

jus joinin in... :scratch:
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#83  Postby GenesForLife » Mar 13, 2011 9:38 pm

We haven't really had one for a long time now, candidate papers? MedGen taking charge and the paper I found on Chromothripsis ? :D
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Rumraket » Mar 18, 2011 5:31 pm

GenesForLife wrote:We haven't really had one for a long time now, candidate papers? MedGen taking charge and the paper I found on Chromothripsis ? :D

How about this one? :
http://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/szostakweb/publications/Szostak_pdfs/Budin_et_al_2011_PNAS.pdf

Budin I, Szostak JW. Physical effects underlying the transition from primitive to modern cell membranes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011 Mar 14. [Epud ahead of print].

Abstract
To understand the emergence of Darwinian evolution, it is necessary to identify physical mechanisms that enabled primitive cells to compete with one another. Whereas all modern cell membranes are composed primarily of diacyl or dialkyl glycerol hospholipids, the first cell membranes are thought to have self-assembled from simple, single-chain lipids synthesized in the environment. We asked what selective advantage could have driven the transition from primitive to modern membranes, especially during early stages characterized by low levels of membrane phospholipid. Here we demonstrate that surprisingly low levels of phospholipids can drive protocell membrane growth during competition for single-chain lipids. Growth results from the decreasing fatty acid efflux from membranes with increasing phospholipid content. The ability to synthesize phospholipids from single-chain substrates would have therefore been highly advantageous for early cells competing for a limited supply of lipids. We show that the resulting increase in membrane phospholipid content would have led to a cascade of new selective pressures for the evolution of metabolic and transport machinery to overcome the reduced membrane permeability of diacyl lipid membranes. The evolution of phospholipid membranes could thus have been a deterministic outcome of intrinsic physical processes and a key driving force for early cellular evolution.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Rumraket

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 21, 2011 7:04 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:I imagine that the problem is this bit:

3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

This is why you can't copy and paste an entire news article and post it on a forum. So it would be illegal to distribute a full version of a copyrighted article (which is any that has been published), but it's fair use to reproduce sections of it for educational purposes.

So what about copying the Methods and Results sections of a paper, and the thesis? Because these are the educational "meat" of a paper. Posting just the discussion and conclusion [or abstract] really tells us nothing-we do not know how the authors got to a particular conclusion. Likewise, just publishing results does not tell us much, because one needs to know the methodology of how they obtained and massaged their data. Just the methods alone may allow you to repeat the experiment, but that does not tell you much about the published work, because you are ignorant of their results and discussion.

In short, there is limited value [at best] in copying and posting only part of a paper, so the educational value is in conflict with the Intellectual Property concerns.

So I say we boycott all papers that are not Open Access in the Journal Club thread.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#86  Postby talkietoaster » Apr 01, 2011 8:22 am

Are the journals only biology specific for evolution?

Those that like sports, I used to have a collection when I was doing Sport Science. I have a interested journal that showed the fitness levels comparing rugby and cricket players to be equal strength, endurance and aerobic fitness. If these aren't of interest I won't post :(
''Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.'' - Smart Person at some time.
talkietoaster

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#87  Postby GenesForLife » Apr 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Anything goes as long as it is science.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 01, 2011 4:14 pm

We should all write at least one paper for AiG, it is a worthy cause.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#89  Postby DanDare » May 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:I imagine that the problem is this bit:

3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

This is why you can't copy and paste an entire news article and post it on a forum. So it would be illegal to distribute a full version of a copyrighted article (which is any that has been published), but it's fair use to reproduce sections of it for educational purposes.

So what about copying the Methods and Results sections of a paper, and the thesis? Because these are the educational "meat" of a paper. Posting just the discussion and conclusion [or abstract] really tells us nothing-we do not know how the authors got to a particular conclusion. Likewise, just publishing results does not tell us much, because one needs to know the methodology of how they obtained and massaged their data. Just the methods alone may allow you to repeat the experiment, but that does not tell you much about the published work, because you are ignorant of their results and discussion.

In short, there is limited value [at best] in copying and posting only part of a paper, so the educational value is in conflict with the Intellectual Property concerns.

So I say we boycott all papers that are not Open Access in the Journal Club thread.

Interesting discussion. I have noticed that a lot of actual papers are quite expensive to get your hands on legally. Why is this? I am all in favour of papers costing something to access, otherwise I wouldn't be building Science Works magazine which I hope to eventually have carry peer reviewed pages. But I wouldn't expect access to cost much more than a dollar.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#90  Postby mjpam » Nov 28, 2011 5:57 am

Is there any interesting in resurrecting this?

I've found certain topics that have glut of "open" access articles.
mjpam

Print view this post

#91  Postby natselrox » Nov 28, 2011 6:01 am

By all means, do it!
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Dudely » Nov 29, 2011 7:08 pm

Yes please!
This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#93  Postby mjpam » Nov 29, 2011 11:37 pm

May I suggest A. Stoltzfus.(1999) "On the possibilty of constructive neutral evolution". Journal of Molecular Evolution. 49 (2): 169-181.?
mjpam

Print view this post

#94  Postby mjpam » Dec 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Has anyone had the time to review the article?

Is there still any interest in the journal club?
mjpam

Print view this post

#95  Postby GenesForLife » Dec 15, 2011 9:14 pm

mjpam wrote:Has anyone had the time to review the article?

Is there still any interest in the journal club?

No and yes. You can start discussion off.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby mjpam » Dec 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Right-oh.

Should I start a new thread?
mjpam

Print view this post

#97  Postby natselrox » Dec 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Yep.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Science & Technology