Journal Club

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Journal Club

#1  Postby MedGen » Jun 07, 2010 11:31 am

It is often customary in research groups and departments to hold journal clubs, where various journals of interest are discussed on a regular basis. I thought perhaps that this may also work quite well here on the forum. The idea is that a single article is picked each week or fortnight (or however often), giving enough time for everyone to read it. The paper is then discussed amongst the group; the conclusions, the methodology, what could be improved, etc.

This may also be a good way to help laypeople to understand the technical aspects of scientific papers that are so often such a barrier to fully understanding them. There are a few professionals here on the forum, as well as many educated and interested laypeople.

I'd like to see what people's opinions are of this idea, and perhaps start something up in the next few weeks or so. I for one would like to broaden my scientific knowledge further, and this is often a great way of achieving that goal.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Journal Club

#2  Postby Darkchilde » Jun 07, 2010 11:37 am

That is a great idea MedGen. I would say, that we could have a general thread for the articles, but the articles themselves and the discussion should be in the relevant sections.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Lazar » Jun 07, 2010 11:42 am

:clap: Great idea. Wonder whether discussing articles from Science or Nature might be the way to go :dunno: In any case count me in.

Spinozasgalt: "And how come no one ever sigs me?"
Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby MedGen » Jun 07, 2010 11:59 am

My initial thoughts are that several articles could be proposed and then pick one by vote or something, then as DarkChilde suggests discuss them in the relevant forum.

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 07, 2010 12:11 pm

MedGen wrote:My initial thoughts are that several articles could be proposed and then pick one by vote or something, then as DarkChilde suggests discuss them in the relevant forum.

:nod: This sounds good to me.

How is everybody going to get access to the articles though? Do we make it that the articles picked have to be freely accessible or what?.. :think:
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#6  Postby Mazille » Jun 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:
MedGen wrote:My initial thoughts are that several articles could be proposed and then pick one by vote or something, then as DarkChilde suggests discuss them in the relevant forum.

How is everybody going to get access to the articles though? Do we make it that the articles picked have to be freely accessible or what?.. :think:

That's what I was thinking.
Other than that, that is a brilliant idea, MedGen. :cheers: If you need any help on organising the thing, or doing the mod work behind the scenes, do drop me a line.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Lazar » Jun 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:

Could also use some of the better open source journals (if there are any better ones). Otherwise yes I think they should be available given the threads in question will already be somewhat selective. I believe there is a website somewhere (cannot remember what it is called) that lists academics that have full text articles available.

On this point I wonder whether writing circles also be a good idea where individuals post sections of articles/essays/theses that they are writing for group review (would have to make it a closed group where only people in the circle could view and comment ).

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby MedGen » Jun 07, 2010 12:19 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:

If it's pay-per-view then some people may be able to get access and then send it on to the other members. It's worth checking that an article is available before it proposed just so everyone can get hold of it. That way those of use with access to big journals like Science and Nature can send them on to others who don't have access (I've got athens access to some at the moment, but I'll have more in October when I start my PhD).

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby natselrox » Jun 08, 2010 3:44 am

Sure thing! I get access to most medical journals through my college. I can send them to you. But we get 'Nature' and 'Science' in print. Though I can scan the pages and mail them. :grin:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 08, 2010 4:05 am

I might be wrong, but I think it's illegal to distribute copies of articles that you're supposed to pay for..
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#11  Postby natselrox » Jun 08, 2010 4:12 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:I might be wrong, but I think it's illegal to distribute copies of articles that you're supposed to pay for..

And when has anyone achieved anything by staying legal? :smug:

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Lazar » Jun 08, 2010 6:17 am

natselrox wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:I might be wrong, but I think it's illegal to distribute copies of articles that you're supposed to pay for..

:lol: it is one thing to do it.....it is another all together to have it as part of public forum process.

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Mazille » Jun 08, 2010 7:13 am

Lazar wrote:
natselrox wrote:

:lol: it is one thing to do it.....it is another all together to have it as part of public forum process.

Exactly. :naughty:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#14  Postby MedGen » Jun 08, 2010 8:40 am

I'm not actually sure what the laws are regarding distribution amongst a small group tbh. I've had a good look on the Nature website and their doesn't seem to be anything regarding this issue.

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Lazar » Jun 08, 2010 8:43 am

MedGen wrote:I'm not actually sure what the laws are regarding distribution amongst a small group tbh. I've had a good look on the Nature website and their doesn't seem to be anything regarding this issue.

It is not legal. Officially I only get three copies of my own article to distribute and after that I have to pay.

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby natselrox » Jun 08, 2010 9:43 am

At least we should start the club. Even if we have to limit the discussion to members who have access to the article.

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#17  Postby MedGen » Jun 08, 2010 9:44 am

Lazar wrote:
MedGen wrote:I'm not actually sure what the laws are regarding distribution amongst a small group tbh. I've had a good look on the Nature website and their doesn't seem to be anything regarding this issue.

It is not legal. Officially I only get three copies of my own article to distribute and after that I have to pay.

Ah, this could throw a spanner in the works a little.

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Mazille » Jun 08, 2010 10:35 am

natselrox wrote:At least we should start the club. Even if we have to limit the discussion to members who have access to the article.

I dunno. There is a wealth of peer-reviewed articles freely available online. I don't think it would be a problem to limit ourselves to those.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Lazar » Jun 08, 2010 10:43 am

Mazille wrote:
natselrox wrote:At least we should start the club. Even if we have to limit the discussion to members who have access to the article.

I dunno. There is a wealth of peer-reviewed articles freely available online. I don't think it would be a problem to limit ourselves to those.

:this:

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby mjpam » Jun 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Lazar wrote:
Mazille wrote:

:this:

My thoughts exactly.

Are we looking for something fairly recent?

Might I suggest Climbing Mount Probable: Mutation as a Cause of Nonrandomness in Evolution?
mjpam

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology