Microsoft announces Windows 10

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Microsoft announces Windows 10

#241  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 22, 2016 3:13 pm

Last edited by Skinny Puppy on Jul 22, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#242  Postby Animavore » Jul 22, 2016 3:14 pm

You're just giving me the same page.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#243  Postby VazScep » Jul 22, 2016 3:14 pm

Yes it is.

Go down to "Reasons We Share Personal Data" and hit "Read More."

(it shows up by default for me, since I have JS disabled.)
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#244  Postby Animavore » Jul 22, 2016 3:18 pm

Meh. So it does. Followed by -

comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

So with this in mind, what's so untoward about it?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#245  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Animavore wrote:You're just giving me the same page.

Personal Data We Collect
Microsoft collects data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our services. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you create a Microsoft account, submit a search query to Bing, speak a voice command to Cortana, upload a document to OneDrive, or contact us for support. We get some of it by recording how you interact with our services by, for example, using technologies like cookies, and receiving error reports or usage data from software running on your device. We also obtain data from third parties (including other companies). For example, we supplement the data we collect by purchasing demographic data from other companies. We also use services from other companies to help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize certain services to your location.

The data we collect depends on the services and features you use, and includes the following.

Name and contact data. We collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, and other similar contact data.

Credentials. We collect passwords, password hints, and similar security information used for authentication and account access.

Demographic data. We collect data about you such as your age, gender, country and preferred language.

Interests and favorites. We collect data about your interests and favorites, such as the teams you follow in a sports app, the stocks you track in a finance app, or the favorite cities you add to a weather app. In addition to those you explicitly provide, your interests and favorites may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect.

Payment data. We collect data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your payment instrument number (such as a credit card number), and the security code associated with your payment instrument.

Usage data. We collect data about how you and your device interact with our services. This includes data, such as the features you use, the items you purchase, the web pages you visit, and the search terms you enter. This also includes data about your device and the network you use to connect to our services, including IP address, device identifiers (such as the IMEI number for phones), regional and language settings. It includes information about the operating systems and other software installed on your device, including product keys. And it includes data about the performance of the services and any problems you experience with them.

Contacts and relationships. We collect data about your contacts and relationships if you use a Microsoft service to manage contacts, or to communicate or interact with other people or organizations.

Location data. We collect data about your location, which can be either precise or imprecise. Precise location data can be Global Position System (GPS) data, as well as data identifying nearby cell towers and Wi-Fi hotspots, we collect when you enable location-based services or features. Imprecise location data includes, for example, a location derived from your IP address or data that indicates where you are located with less precision, such as at a city or postal code level.

Content. We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the services you use. For example, if you receive an email using Outlook.com, we need to collect the content of that email in order to deliver it to your inbox, display it to you, enable you to reply to it, and store it for you until you choose to delete it. Examples of this data include: the content of your documents, photos, music or video you upload to a Microsoft service such as OneDrive, as well as the content of your communications sent or received using Microsoft services such Outlook.com or Skype, including the:

• subject line and body of an email,
• text or other content of an instant message,
• audio and video recording of a video message, and
• audio recording and transcript of a voice message you receive or a text message you dictate.

We also collect the content of messages you send to us, such as feedback and product reviews you write, or questions and information you provide for customer support. When you contact us, such as for customer support, phone conversations or chat sessions with our representatives may be monitored and recorded. If you enter our retail stores, your image may be captured by our security cameras.

You have choices about the data we collect. When you are asked to provide personal data, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide a service, you may not be able to use some features or services.

Service-specific sections below describe data collection practices applicable to use of those services.
Last edited by Skinny Puppy on Jul 22, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#246  Postby Animavore » Jul 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Again, so what? Lot of fuss over nothing.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#247  Postby VazScep » Jul 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Well, Blackbart thought the quote was interesting.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#248  Postby Animavore » Jul 22, 2016 3:23 pm

Puppy, why did you jump from Reasons We Collect Personal Data to Personal Data We Collect there?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#249  Postby Animavore » Jul 22, 2016 3:24 pm

VazScep wrote:Well, Blackbart thought the quote was interesting.

It's pretty upfront. Can't complain. Don't like it. Don't buy. But don't cry.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#250  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Animavore wrote:Again, so what? Lot of fuss over nothing.

I posted that at (my time):
#245 by Skinny Puppy » Jul 22, 2016 10:19 am

You replied (my time):

#246 by Animavore » Jul 22, 2016 10:19 am

You replied in under a minute, in fact, mere seconds.

Your contract law abilities have me very impressed! :thumbup: I have a friend that is a business contract lawyer and his abilities pale in comparison.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#251  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Animavore wrote:Puppy, why did you jump from Reasons We Collect Personal Data to Personal Data We Collect there?

Documents need to be read completely; otherwise one is just Whistling Dixie. :whistle:
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#252  Postby Animavore » Jul 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:

You replied (my time):

Your contract law abilities have me very impressed! :thumbup: I have a friend that is a business contract lawyer and his abilities pale in comparison.

You should be impressed.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#253  Postby Animavore » Jul 22, 2016 3:54 pm

I work in IT. Don't need to read it all. Skimming; Name and contact data, Credentials, Demographic data, Interests and favorites, Payment data, Usage data, Contacts and relationships, Location data, and Content, told me everything I needed to know. If I needed to read the explanation of what each of those things were I wouldn't be a very good IT professional.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#254  Postby BlackBart » Jul 22, 2016 4:33 pm

Yep, it does say that - apologies. Was an issue with javascript.

Trouble is...
It's referring to data stored on Microsoft servers - outlook.com etc. It makes no claim or provides evidence that user content solely residing on the user's local Window's 10 machine is or can be read by Microsoft.
Nor are these terms much different to any company that provides online services - we'll surrender the data if the cops have a warrant etc.
Further, this privacy statement doesn't appear unique to Windows 10, seems to be a generic statement covering all Microsoft products.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#255  Postby Animavore » Jul 22, 2016 4:38 pm

BlackBart wrote:It makes no claim or provides evidence that user content solely residing on the user's local Window's 10 machine is or can be read by Microsoft.

As I pointed out on the previous page, it explicitly says it isn't.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... l#p2448029
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#256  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 22, 2016 5:00 pm

BlackBart wrote:Yep, it does say that - apologies. Was an issue with javascript.

Trouble is...
It's referring to data stored on Microsoft servers - outlook.com etc. It makes no claim or provides evidence that user content solely residing on the user's local Window's 10 machine is or can be read by Microsoft.
Nor are these terms much different to any company that provides online services - we'll surrender the data if the cops have a warrant etc.
Further, this privacy statement doesn't appear unique to Windows 10, seems to be a generic statement covering all Microsoft products.

Personal Data We Collect
Microsoft collects data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our services. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you create a Microsoft account, submit a search query to Bing, speak a voice command to Cortana, upload a document to OneDrive,

Cortana is unique to W10.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#257  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

You replied (my time):

You should be impressed.

Well I am... let's not put a name to it, K? :thumbup:
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#258  Postby BlackBart » Jul 22, 2016 5:13 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
BlackBart wrote:Yep, it does say that - apologies. Was an issue with javascript.

Trouble is...

Personal Data We Collect
Microsoft collects data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our services. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you create a Microsoft account, submit a search query to Bing, speak a voice command to Cortana, upload a document to OneDrive,

Cortana is unique to W10.

So? It's merely providing examples of how data can provided by the user, the fact that that particular piece of software that is only available on Windows 10 doesn't mean the document is not applicable to any other product.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#260  Postby Animavore » Jul 25, 2016 3:40 pm

This literally just appeared over my Google page as a pop-up right now.

A privacy reminder from Google
Scroll down and click “I agree” when you’re ready to continue to Search, or explore other options on this page.
Data we process when you use Google
When you search for a restaurant on Google Maps or watch a video on YouTube, for example, we process information about that activity - including information like the video you watched, device IDs, IP addresses, cookie data, and location.
We also process the kinds of information described above when you use apps or sites that use Google services like ads, Analytics, and the YouTube video player.
Why we process it
We process this data for the purposes described in our policy, including to:
Help our services deliver more useful, customized content such as more relevant search results;
Improve the quality of our services and develop new ones;
Deliver ads based on your interests, including things like searches you've done or videos you've watched on YouTube;
Improve security by protecting against fraud and abuse; and
Conduct analytics and measurement to understand how our services are used.
Combining data
We also combine data among our services and across your devices for these purposes. For example, we use data from trillions of search queries to build spell-correction models that we use across all of our services, and we combine data to alert you and other users to potential security risks.

Sound familiar?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology