Microsoft announces Windows 10

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Microsoft announces Windows 10

#261  Postby aban57 » Jul 25, 2016 7:13 pm

It looks like Microsoft lowered their requirements to install W10. I received a notification yesterday for the first time, and, in a moment of weakness, decided to install it. It took around 9h to install, and since then, it crashed 4 times, runs slow as hell, and my internet connexion is having some problems too. Fuck Microsoft, Fuck Windows 10.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#262  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 25, 2016 8:54 pm

aban57 wrote:It looks like Microsoft lowered their requirements to install W10. I received a notification yesterday for the first time, and, in a moment of weakness, decided to install it. It took around 9h to install, and since then, it crashed 4 times, runs slow as hell, and my internet connexion is having some problems too. Fuck Microsoft, Fuck Windows 10.

You should have the option to revert back. MS places a backup file in your root folder of your system before the update. At least that was the case when I updated one of my computers.

To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back toWindows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install.

Your personal files, data etc. won't be affected.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#263  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Animavore wrote:This literally just appeared over my Google page as a pop-up right now.

A privacy reminder from Google
Scroll down and click “I agree” when you’re ready to continue to Search, or explore other options on this page.
Data we process when you use Google
When you search for a restaurant on Google Maps or watch a video on YouTube, for example, we process information about that activity - including information like the video you watched, device IDs, IP addresses, cookie data, and location.
We also process the kinds of information described above when you use apps or sites that use Google services like ads, Analytics, and the YouTube video player.
Why we process it
We process this data for the purposes described in our policy, including to:
Help our services deliver more useful, customized content such as more relevant search results;
Improve the quality of our services and develop new ones;
Deliver ads based on your interests, including things like searches you've done or videos you've watched on YouTube;
Improve security by protecting against fraud and abuse; and
Conduct analytics and measurement to understand how our services are used.
Combining data
We also combine data among our services and across your devices for these purposes. For example, we use data from trillions of search queries to build spell-correction models that we use across all of our services, and we combine data to alert you and other users to potential security risks.

Sound familiar?

No, it actually doesn’t!
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#264  Postby VazScep » Jul 25, 2016 9:39 pm

I'd need a lot of persuasion to use a Chromebook, and I won't touch gmail.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#265  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 26, 2016 5:49 am

VazScep wrote:I'd need a lot of persuasion to use a Chromebook, and I won't touch gmail.

They are pure madness playing right into Google's hands.

I had to buy a new machine because of cooling fan failure. I now have a gaming machine with Win 10. Have not really noticed anything greatly different. A shell has been built around the Windows core but once under the bonnet everything is much the same. My gaming machine will just be that and I will keep this machine for personal administration as it has far more layers of protection.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#266  Postby aban57 » Jul 26, 2016 6:15 am

Skinny Puppy wrote:
aban57 wrote:It looks like Microsoft lowered their requirements to install W10. I received a notification yesterday for the first time, and, in a moment of weakness, decided to install it. It took around 9h to install, and since then, it crashed 4 times, runs slow as hell, and my internet connexion is having some problems too. Fuck Microsoft, Fuck Windows 10.

You should have the option to revert back. MS places a backup file in your root folder of your system before the update. At least that was the case when I updated one of my computers.

To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back toWindows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install.

Your personal files, data etc. won't be affected.

Thanks, I was looking for that option. Will do that tonight :)
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#267  Postby aban57 » Jul 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Option non available, I guess I didn't check the right box before doing the install.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#268  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 26, 2016 5:49 pm

aban57 wrote:Option non available, I guess I didn't check the right box before doing the install.

Here’s a helpful link.
http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

Also, check you C-Drive and see if there’s a folder called ‘Windows.old’, it’s shown in the 3rd picture down.

MS may have changed things since I did the update a month or so ago. I did have that ‘Windows.old’ folder and was able to revert back to Windows 7.

One thing that has me concerned... your install took way too long. It should only take (ballpark) from 15-45 minutes. If your installation was faulty, that may (?) account for the inability to revert back.

Last ditch effort, and I don’t know if this is possible, but it shouldn’t cause you any grief, check if you have restore points. If you do you can try to restore your computer to back before Windows 10. I don’t know if W10 removes those restore points or not.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#269  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 27, 2016 10:41 am

I dont know what computer make you are using but with Samsung they have their own software to make restore points. One is made at the point of use. I always use the Samsung software as the restoration is 100%. Serious personal files I always backup onto a stick.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#270  Postby aban57 » Jul 27, 2016 11:58 am

There's a second option to go back to W7 without any restoration point. I used this one yesterday, and after 15 mn, my computer was back to where it was before. Which is perfectly fine.

ETA : this option was limited to 31 days after installing W10.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#271  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 27, 2016 12:21 pm

That's good to hear. :thumbup:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#272  Postby aban57 » Jul 27, 2016 12:32 pm

You have no idea :dance:
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#273  Postby tuco » Oct 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Anyone running Windows 10 Version 10.0.14951 Build 14951.rs_prerelease_161014-1700 having issues with connecting to NAS when logged in with MS account? Good place to ask.

I can connect to NAS when logged in what MS calls "local account". When logged in with MS account however I get error message saying something like I do not have permission to access NAS and to contact administrator of NAS. I am fucking administrator or?

So the work around is to be logged with local account but I do not like that. I want the benefits of being logged with MS account namely sync. So relog? Ok but who wants to reenter passwords all the time? This is not Star Trek, not even 21st century standard.

Go back to previous version? I could go to rant thread but I want to solve this shit. Bill, you listening? I am gonna reformat the fucking NAS and reload all my shit there to try to reset permissions because it does not seem to let me without doing IT stuff I dunno, like changing look of tiles ... cant! ... you fucking mad Bill? let me change tiles ffs!

Any advice welcome. oktxbai
tuco

Print view this post

#274  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 22, 2016 10:03 am

I have a Dutch version. No probs.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#275  Postby felltoearth » Oct 22, 2016 2:40 pm

tuco wrote:prerelease_161014-1700

I suspect this is your issue.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#276  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 22, 2016 2:46 pm

I suggest upgrading to the Dutch version.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#277  Postby Fallible » Oct 22, 2016 2:47 pm

:tehe:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#278  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 22, 2016 4:26 pm

LucidFlight wrote:I suggest upgrading to the Dutch version.

There are no more upgrades. We dont always run parallel with the English/American version but I have always used Dutch versions of everything. It feels more comfortable. The menu structure varies especially in Microsoft Office.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#279  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Is the menu structure of Microsoft Office better in the Dutch version?
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#280  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 22, 2016 4:57 pm

LucidFlight wrote:Is the menu structure of Microsoft Office better in the Dutch version?

No different. Especially in programmes as Excel and word. The groupings are different and switching from one to the other is confusing. It is just what you are used to.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology