Microsoft announces Windows 10

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Microsoft announces Windows 10

#301  Postby tuco » Nov 04, 2016 8:13 pm

MS feedback hub pre-view build .. nobody cares .. question: How responsive is your build? 1-6 3 Its responsive alright just sometimes does not respond to my intentions. No cool stories here just facts. Next question?
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#302  Postby tuco » Dec 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Almost forgot, but since I tend to remember some stuff and now I recalled, cant rob you of this puzzle:

go into user account in control panel
if you're in windows 10 select manage your credentials this will open 2 options
web credentials and windows credentials
head to windows credentials and add a new windows credential
enter the location of the drive \\readyshare on the first line
your windows user name in the second line
your windows password in the third line

http://jim-st.blogspot.cz/2016/09/possi ... ndows.html

----

Credentials. btw what OS they run in Star Trek?
tuco

Print view this post

#303  Postby BlackBart » Dec 13, 2016 9:06 pm

tuco wrote:Credentials. btw what OS they run in Star Trek?

LCARS
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#304  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 14, 2016 2:09 am

BlackBart wrote:
tuco wrote:Credentials. btw what OS they run in Star Trek?

LCARS

Everyone knows that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My new website is up. Who wants to be a contributor?

I AM Skepdickus!

https://www.skepdick.us/blog/
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#305  Postby tuco » Jan 29, 2017 9:28 am

tuco

Print view this post

#306  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 29, 2017 10:10 am

Only for insiders.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#307  Postby tuco » Jan 29, 2017 10:17 am

Well, you can be one if you sign up for it. I got it yesterday.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#308  Postby VazScep » Feb 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Microsoft have been open sourcing pretty damn generously in the last year. They're also actively developing the Windows Subsystem for Linux, a shim that allows windows to run Linux binaries and translate all Linux system calls. It is now possible to get much of Linux userland running natively on Windows, and more is to come.

A lot of devs on Hacker News are talking of jumping ship.from Linux to Windows, now expecting little change to their development workflow. Devs did this ten or fifteen years ago when Macs became UNIX-likes. It's funny that they are considering Windows to now be the better UNIX.

On the other side, Microsoft open sourced the core of .NET which can now be used on Linux.

These are real temptations for me. Any devs here tried them?
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#309  Postby BWE » Feb 21, 2017 5:45 pm

.Net is the only programming platform I know. It's awesome for what it is. I guess that's not entirely accurate, I have been writing .ASP and sql for years and vbscript (which is utterly simple if you already know visual basic for programming access) so when .net came out I got visual studio and don't do a single this g on it that I wouldn't have done before. So no c whatever, none of that shit. But, in terms of data connectivity, the learning curve is shallow if you already have a basic idea of what you want to do and it definitely speeds up workflow.
BWE

Print view this post

#310  Postby VazScep » Feb 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Oh, I'm a fan of .NET. But until now, the only way we could use it on Linux was with the open source version Mono which never seemed to be up-to-date with the features that appealed to me on the Windows side. Now we can basically get parity by running .NET directly on Linux.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#311  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 21, 2017 7:04 pm

VazScep wrote:Microsoft have been open sourcing pretty damn generously in the last year. They're also actively developing the Windows Subsystem for Linux, a shim that allows windows to run Linux binaries and translate all Linux system calls. It is now possible to get much of Linux userland running natively on Windows, and more is to come.

A lot of devs on Hacker News are talking of jumping ship.from Linux to Windows, now expecting little change to their development workflow. Devs did this ten or fifteen years ago when Macs became UNIX-likes. It's funny that they are considering Windows to now be the better UNIX.

On the other side, Microsoft open sourced the core of .NET which can now be used on Linux.

It's also become fairly routine for folks on the mac side with only rudimentary development chops to pull in a great deal of what the linux package managers give you, with OSS systems like macports, homebrew, or fink. Macs don't come with a development toolchain preinstalled, so you have to get Xcode from the app store, or at least the command-line tools subset of same.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#312  Postby VazScep » Feb 21, 2017 7:13 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
VazScep wrote:Microsoft have been open sourcing pretty damn generously in the last year. They're also actively developing the Windows Subsystem for Linux, a shim that allows windows to run Linux binaries and translate all Linux system calls. It is now possible to get much of Linux userland running natively on Windows, and more is to come.

It's also become fairly routine for folks on the mac side with only rudimentary development chops to pull in a great deal of what the linux package managers give you, with OSS systems like macports, homebrew, or fink. Macs don't come with a development toolchain preinstalled, so you have to get Xcode from the app store, or at least the command-line tools subset of same.
Yep. Most of my Linux distribution is just this package manager, which has pretty thorough support for Mac. It means it's trivial for my boss (a Mac user) and I to share identical development environments.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#313  Postby tuco » Apr 29, 2017 7:31 am

Modern software development is cancer

[snip]

If anything, software products - good software products - should be designed by people who have no formal compute sciencer education, perhaps even no tech skills. You want them to focus on human needs and how people interact with things. Not through the eyes of a cook, who sees buttons and fields and forms as ingredients to their next pay check, but through the eyes of a human who seeks to solve a problem and satisfy a primal need.

[snip]

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/soft ... ancer.html

---

It is true the industry works like that; solving problems that do not exist?
tuco

Print view this post

#314  Postby VazScep » Apr 29, 2017 8:27 am

It's been easy to moan about software for decades. The UNIX hater's handbook was written in 1991 and is just a curated set of messages posted to unixhaters in the late 80s and early 90s. It includes a chapter hating on the X window system, which everyone knew was shit from the get-go, and which Wayland has tried to replace without success. Here's a quote from the UNIX hater's handbook:

"If your terminal has provisions for line drawing, protecting fields, double-height characters, or programmable function keys, that’s just too darn bad: this is Unix. The logical culmination of this catch-as-catch-can attitude is the X Window System, a monstrous kludge that solves these problems by replacing them with a much larger and costlier set of problems."

Civilization is, as we all know, doomed. Venor Vinge thinks that 5000 years from now, starships will be running on mountains of shit software, underneathe all of which will still be programs that measure dates in UNIX time.

Yes, software is utter shite. I hate web-browsers. I hate javascript. I fucking hate UNIX. I hate insecure programming languages. I hate Go, Python and I fucking hate Java. I like Emacs. I wish my computer was basically just Emacs.

To moan a bit more specifically, computer programmers and standards bodies have no long term memory, and so reinvent the wheel time and time again. But because most programming is now done by near amateurs, the reinventions are shit. The blog post says, quite stupidly, that JSON is glorified CSV because people don't want to write XML. That suggestion pretty much disqualifies him from having an opinion, but the irony is that XML itself was a load of hype from the W3C, a dumb attempt to turn a markup language that was popular in publishing (SGML) into a structured data format, despite the fact that the problem of a serialisable structured data format had been definitively solved in 1957 with the invention of the symbolic expression. Everything that got built on top of XML is a solution to the problem of XML's shittiness as a general purpose structured data format. I remember all of the bitching and arguing over XML back in the early 2000s, including some epic rants on usenet by the late, great Erik Naggum, who made a similar point with regards to Perl, which he believed only existed to solve a problem of UNIX's own making: 'A novice had a problem and could not find a solution. "I know," said the novice, "I'll just use Perl!" The novice now had two problems.'

Systemd was a hilarious debacle that blew up five years ago, or so. A guy started chatting to me in a pub a few months back after he saw me hacking away on my Linux laptop and we got talking about Linuxes. I did my little bit of proselytising of my chosen distribution, but he got jokingly upset when I confessed it was systemd based. It's not an argument I'm qualified to have. I never did much mucking around with init systems prior to systemd, and I've never cared much about the UNIX philosophy anyway. I will just say that the blogger's comparison of systemd with the linux kernel is so disingenuous that I almost want to criminalise it.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#315  Postby TopCat » Apr 29, 2017 2:25 pm

tuco wrote:Modern software development is cancer
[snip]
If anything, software products - good software products - should be designed by people who have no formal compute sciencer education, perhaps even no tech skills. You want them to focus on human needs and how people interact with things. Not through the eyes of a cook, who sees buttons and fields and forms as ingredients to their next pay check, but through the eyes of a human who seeks to solve a problem and satisfy a primal need.

[snip]
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/soft ... ancer.html
---

It is true the industry works like that; solving problems that do not exist?

It's a sweeping generalisation that, like all sweeping generalisations, have elements of truth, but are so general that they're useless.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#316  Postby aban57 » Apr 30, 2017 7:07 pm

That's why you have now business analysts, acting as a conduit between the users and programers.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#317  Postby VazScep » Apr 30, 2017 7:17 pm

aban57 wrote:That's why you have now business analysts, acting as a conduit between the users and programers.
I prefer to think of them as insulation.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#318  Postby monkeyboy » Apr 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Anyone using Windows 10. I'm looking getting a new laptop and wondering whether to buy one with it installed. My old one runs vista and it's not getting updates on a lot of stuff soon
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#319  Postby aban57 » Apr 30, 2017 7:55 pm

VazScep wrote:
aban57 wrote:That's why you have now business analysts, acting as a conduit between the users and programers.
I prefer to think of them as insulation.

That too.

monkeyboy wrote:Anyone using Windows 10. I'm looking getting a new laptop and wondering whether to buy one with it installed. My old one runs vista and it's not getting updates on a lot of stuff soon

Any laptop you'll find on the market will come with W10.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#320  Postby monkeyboy » Apr 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Yes but is it worth it yet. I can still install something in between on my existing one.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology