Microsoft announces Windows 10

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

#1  Postby lyingcheat » Oct 01, 2014 3:31 am

October 1, 2014
Microsoft has announced its Windows 10 operating system to replace the largely unpopular Windows 8, skipping a number to mark a leap toward a new system aimed at unifying computing and mobile devices.

The next version of Microsoft's flagship product, which still runs the vast majority of personal computers, is aimed at recapturing the lucrative business market, which generally ignored the new-look Windows 8.
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/comp ... 0odpk.html

Microsoft Offers First Peek of Windows 10
The company on Tuesday offered the first public peek at the next version of its flagship operating system, acknowledging that the current version veered off course and pledging to give users a voice in the development of its most famous product.

...the Windows 10 preview was as close as Microsoft has come to acknowledging mistakes in the design of Windows 8. Windows executives said they realized they needed to reshape the most recent version, particularly for work settings. Some corporate-technology buyers and desk jockeys found Windows 8 too hard to use. The software, refashioned for the first time to work with tablets and other touch-screen devices, was a dramatic departure from prior versions and many companies have stuck with older and more familiar software.

Windows 10 de-emphasizes a screen of smartphone-like apps introduced with Windows 8 and pitched as a modern complement to the traditional Windows desktop mode. Some users found moving between modes confusing. The new version attempts to meld what had been two distinct ways of using a computer or tablet.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/microsof ... 1412104879
> Insert Witty Signature Phrase Here <
lyingcheat

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Microsoft announces Windows 10

#2  Postby laklak » Oct 01, 2014 3:39 am

They'll probably get the bugs worked out just before they release Windows 15.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Oct 01, 2014 4:06 am

Fuck having the same OS for tabs/phone & PC's. I don't want my fuckin' PC to behave like a damn phone! :doh: :doh:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#4  Postby babel » Oct 01, 2014 5:56 am

They are not going to push us towards buying touchscreen laptops or hybrids, are they? Nah, they wouldn't dream of shoving something like that down our throats.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Arcanyn » Oct 01, 2014 9:27 am

Nothing inspires confidence in an operating system like its manufacturer's inability to count properly.

Still, it's all pretty exciting. Given their bold move in creating a hybrid PC/mobile phone OS in Windows 8, we can only expect that Windows 10 will take this one step further and create a hybrid OS for everything. From microwave ovens, to fridges, to cars, to ballpoint pens and traffic signals, this will be the OS which secures global domination for Microsoft. Gone will be the days of needing different software for different appliances - now everything will be run on Windows! To ensure convenience and compatability with every single conceivable device, the return of the Start menu will also be accompanied by many new menus, including but not limited to; the toast settings menu, the autopilot menu, the acceleration settings menu, the forklift control menu, the abattoir operations menu, the pencil sharpening options menu, the reheat settings menu and the nuclear launch menu. This will of course take up a certain amount of screen real estate; but it's not as though people need screen space to run programs or anything, and is well worth it to ensure that Windows can be quite literally everywhere. There have been a few bugs reported, but nothing particularly serious and these should be ironed out by the final release. In particular, the bug which causes nuclear missiles to be launched if a prime number is entered into the calculator is apparently going to be fixed very soon. Naturally, as the interface is going to be completely different to all versions of Windows thus far, there will be a certain learning curve involved. Some beta testers have complained that they have attempted to send emails, and instead ended up making a toasted cheese sandwich, and that adding a car interface has now made system crashes far more literal. Of course, progress necessitates change, which means sometimes having to discard old and familiar ways of doing things in order to create a better system overall. It's not as if Microsoft couldn't think of anything genuinely innovative to do and instead went around changing a bunch of random stuff for no reason in the hopes nobody could tell the difference between that and true innovation. If you have an issue with the fact that the old method of sending emails now makes toasted sandwiches, well, you're clearly a Luddite scared of change!
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Pulsar » Oct 01, 2014 9:37 am

I had posted this in the funny picture thread:

April Fools', 2013:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2613504/microsoft-windows/microsoft-skips--too-good--windows-9--jumps-to-windows-10.html

windows1.jpg
windows1.jpg (120.94 KiB) Viewed 5317 times

September 30, 2014:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6868695/microsoft-windows-10-announced-official

windows2.jpg
windows2.jpg (64.21 KiB) Viewed 5317 times

Reality beats fiction.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Oct 01, 2014 9:42 am

Arcanyn wrote:Nothing inspires confidence in an operating system like its manufacturer's inability to count properly.

Still, it's all pretty exciting. Given their bold move in creating a hybrid PC/mobile phone OS in Windows 8, we can only expect that Windows 10 will take this one step further and create a hybrid OS for everything. From microwave ovens, to fridges, to cars, to ballpoint pens and traffic signals, this will be the OS which secures global domination for Microsoft. Gone will be the days of needing different software for different appliances - now everything will be run on Windows! To ensure convenience and compatability with every single conceivable device, the return of the Start menu will also be accompanied by many new menus, including but not limited to; the toast settings menu, the autopilot menu, the acceleration settings menu, the forklift control menu, the abattoir operations menu, the pencil sharpening options menu, the reheat settings menu and the nuclear launch menu. This will of course take up a certain amount of screen real estate; but it's not as though people need screen space to run programs or anything, and is well worth it to ensure that Windows can be quite literally everywhere. There have been a few bugs reported, but nothing particularly serious and these should be ironed out by the final release. In particular, the bug which causes nuclear missiles to be launched if a prime number is entered into the calculator is apparently going to be fixed very soon. Naturally, as the interface is going to be completely different to all versions of Windows thus far, there will be a certain learning curve involved. Some beta testers have complained that they have attempted to send emails, and instead ended up making a toasted cheese sandwich, and that adding a car interface has now made system crashes far more literal. Of course, progress necessitates change, which means sometimes having to discard old and familiar ways of doing things in order to create a better system overall. It's not as if Microsoft couldn't think of anything genuinely innovative to do and instead went around changing a bunch of random stuff for no reason in the hopes nobody could tell the difference between that and true innovation. If you have an issue with the fact that the old method of sending emails now makes toasted sandwiches, well, you're clearly a Luddite scared of change!

Great. So if we had a windows networked house. Windows gets a virus, and one can't even operate the fuckin' toaster! :doh: :lol: :lol: :doh:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#8  Postby babel » Oct 01, 2014 9:45 am

"Your fridge has now been encrypted. Please wire 150 $ or you will lose all your carrots"
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 01, 2014 10:27 am

I wonder what flavours it will come in?

Not as many as Windows 7 I hope.

That Windows 8 is not a success is par for the course with Microsoft. From XP to 7 now to 10 is the right path. Never touched Vista or 8. Both halfway houses and really a beta test bed.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Clive Durdle » Oct 01, 2014 10:40 am

With all these windows, do we need to reintroduce the window tax?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Clive Durdle » Oct 01, 2014 10:46 am

I am trying to work out when computers became a daily part of my life. I was marking punch cards with a pencil in 1969, cash machines were around then. I was paid manually with hand written payslips in the early 70's by the NHS.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tuco » Oct 01, 2014 10:49 am

..skipping a number to mark a leap toward a new system..

That one of the most influential corporations in the world believes this works, or if it indeed works, is one of the reasons the world is as it is.
tuco

Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 01, 2014 10:54 am

Clive Durdle wrote:I am trying to work out when computers became a daily part of my life. I was marking punch cards with a pencil in 1969, cash machines were around then. I was paid manually with hand written payslips in the early 70's by the NHS.

I was programming an IBM 360 or 370 in 1971. The computer room was the only one air-conditioned.
We had giro cards here then which you paid your bills with. We all had bank accounts here then and most were paid monthly only day labourers were paid weekly in cash.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Clive Durdle » Oct 01, 2014 2:59 pm

I think my first calculator was around 1971. It could do fractions! Manchester University had a brand new computer centre about 1972.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Oct 01, 2014 3:14 pm

But everyone knows (contrary to Star Trek movies) the odd numbered Windows are the good ones meaning they're skipping over the good one to bring us the next bad one.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16  Postby babel » Oct 01, 2014 3:16 pm

Imagine young people of this day and age telling the same thing in 20-30 years time? My first computer/tablet/laptop was a samsung galaxy note with gingerbread.

And people will go, meh.
So much nostalgic romance... lost in the abundance of technological progression.

edit: not what you were talking about Ani. Go be on topic somewhere else, dammit.
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Clive Durdle » Oct 01, 2014 3:20 pm

I am talking about a time before windoze existed! Way, way back in the pre-cambrian!
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby NineBerry » Oct 01, 2014 3:22 pm

I guess they are skipping "Windows 9" to avoid confusion with "Windows 9x"
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby DoctorE » Oct 01, 2014 3:47 pm

I think it will be great.. windows 8.1 is pretty cool also; have no problems with it. Even the "haters" at work have changed their minds after using it for a while.

DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:I am talking about a time before windoze existed! Way, way back in the pre-cambrian!

I was programming in DOS in 1986 for PC's. Wrote my first network application in 1992. No windows. I designed my own. The language I used was Clipper.

I wonder if anyone remembers Window 1.0?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology