Monthly Science Writing Competition

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Monthly Science Writing Competition

#61  Postby hackenslash » Mar 11, 2010 5:08 am

Calilasseia wrote:Could someone let me know if we're resurrecting the trashed February incarnation of the competition, or if we're starting again from scratch with a totally new topic? Only I rather enjoyed having written a piece that included 70 references, and on some topics, I don't think I'll match that again. :mrgreen:

My understanding is that the topic will be resurrected at a later date, but that a new topic will intervene.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#62  Postby Mazille » Mar 11, 2010 8:40 am

hackenslash wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Could someone let me know if we're resurrecting the trashed February incarnation of the competition, or if we're starting again from scratch with a totally new topic? Only I rather enjoyed having written a piece that included 70 references, and on some topics, I don't think I'll match that again. :mrgreen:

My understanding is that the topic will be resurrected at a later date, but that a new topic will intervene.

Aye, that's what's planned.
Of course, if most of you people would like it the other way round we can discuss that.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#63  Postby skintbuthappy » Mar 11, 2010 9:17 am

Calilasseia wrote: I rather enjoyed having written a piece that included 70 references, and on some topics, I don't think I'll match that again. :mrgreen:

I knew he was just showing off; I knew it! :tongue2:
Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinion in good men is but knowledge in the making.
skintbuthappy

Congo, Democratic Republic of (cd)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Mazille » Mar 11, 2010 9:50 am

jerome wrote:I guess I'd like to play as well, can you pm me? No board games this time though!
j x

Will do, mate. :cheers:

skintbuthappy wrote:
Calilasseia wrote: I rather enjoyed having written a piece that included 70 references, and on some topics, I don't think I'll match that again. :mrgreen:

The point is: He can afford it. Rather frustrating, innit? :whistle:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#65  Postby skintbuthappy » Mar 11, 2010 10:15 am

Mazille wrote:

skintbuthappy wrote:

Frustrating? NOT BLOODY FAIR is what it is!

Let's give him a question all to himself - something like Ogre said, about needlepoint, or patisserie through the ages, or maybe Muggletonian pamphlets of the Civil War period.

There's got to be some way of levelling this playing field, otherwise we're just like Accrington Stanley trying to play Chelsea!
Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinion in good men is but knowledge in the making.
skintbuthappy

Print view this post

#66  Postby Darkchilde » Mar 11, 2010 10:19 am

skintbuthappy wrote:
Mazille wrote:

skintbuthappy wrote:

Frustrating? NOT BLOODY FAIR is what it is!

Let's give him a question all to himself - something like Ogre said, about needlepoint, or patisserie through the ages, or maybe Muggletonian pamphlets of the Civil War period.

He'll probably be able to find at least a dozen references... :P :smile: :lol:

skintbuthappy wrote:
There's got to be some way of levelling this playing field, otherwise we're just like Accrington Stanley trying to play Chelsea!

Well, if you are a scientist working in a specific field and have a few publications of your own, then I guess it would be Chelsea vs. Manchester United (or whatever good team is now in the UK, haven't followed soccer that closely lately).
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby cateye » Mar 11, 2010 10:24 am

Darkchilde wrote:
skintbuthappy wrote:

Well, if you are a scientist working in a specific field and have a few publications of your own, then I guess it would be Chelsea vs. Manchester United (or whatever good team is now in the UK, haven't followed soccer that closely lately).

^^ That.

If I undestand correctly there will be an overall theme each months, but we're not restricted to a particular field (as in biology, physics, etc. ), so the best way to level the field is to attack the theme of the months via your own field of expertise.
Don't belong. Never join. Think for yourself. Peace.

cateye

Male

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#68  Postby skintbuthappy » Mar 11, 2010 10:31 am

Darkchilde wrote:

skintbuthappy wrote:

Then in my case, perhaps Accrington Stanley was an overestimate. :(

Don't care, anyway. So there. Having entered the last, ill-fated competition, I shall have another stab at it this time around. I may fail ingloriously, but I shall have a go.

Is it possible to have a reference limit, as well as a word limit? ;)
skintbuthappy

Print view this post

#69  Postby cateye » Mar 11, 2010 10:43 am

Btw, what is the target audience of the article we're writing? Is it the general public, so that we would have to try to be as understandable as possible for a lay-person, or is it experts of the field, which would mean we'd be going in guns-blazing without taking prisoners?

cateye

Male

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Darkchilde » Mar 11, 2010 11:01 am

cateye wrote:Btw, what is the target audience of the article we're writing? Is it the general public, so that we would have to try to be as understandable as possible for a lay-person, or is it experts of the field, which would mean we'd be going in guns-blazing without taking prisoners?

Depending on the theme, and if I take part in it, then I would be going for something in the middle. Not too technical, but neither too simple. I would not explain every little term; only the most technical ones, if I should use them.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Oliver » Mar 11, 2010 11:13 am

I think that it's more for the lay-person more than anything. If an esteemed biologist wanted to learn about a certain motor neurone in the human body, he'd read a scientific paper on it, not an article on a forum. This competition should be about drawing in a layman, introducing new subjects and getting them at least superficially knowledgeable and interested in a subject in the hope that they will eventually go on to study more of said subject in their own time. It's about getting people interested; explaining the basics - and perhaps a few of the non-basics; it's about tutoring and sharing our knowledge and expertise; and it's about promoting the words and advances of science. Well, in my opinion anyway...
Oliver

Print view this post

#72  Postby cateye » Mar 11, 2010 11:25 am

Oliver wrote:I think that it's more for the lay-person more than anything. If an esteemed biologist wanted to learn about a certain motor neurone in the human body, he'd read a scientific paper on it, not an article on a forum. This competition should be about drawing in a layman, introducing new subjects and getting them at least superficially knowledgeable and interested in a subject in the hope that they will eventually go on to study more of said subject in their own time. It's about getting people interested; explaining the basics - and perhaps a few of the non-basics; it's about tutoring and sharing our knowledge and expertise; and it's about promoting the words and advances of science. Well, in my opinion anyway...

I think that is a reasonable approach.

Can we agree on "highschool"-level education to be prerequisite for reading the article?

cateye

Male

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Mazille » Mar 11, 2010 11:35 am

cateye wrote:
Oliver wrote:I think that it's more for the lay-person more than anything. If an esteemed biologist wanted to learn about a certain motor neurone in the human body, he'd read a scientific paper on it, not an article on a forum. This competition should be about drawing in a layman, introducing new subjects and getting them at least superficially knowledgeable and interested in a subject in the hope that they will eventually go on to study more of said subject in their own time. It's about getting people interested; explaining the basics - and perhaps a few of the non-basics; it's about tutoring and sharing our knowledge and expertise; and it's about promoting the words and advances of science. Well, in my opinion anyway...

I think that is a reasonable approach.

:cheers:

cateye wrote:Can we agree on "highschool"-level education to be prerequisite for reading the article?

Perhaps have a look at the articles that were submitted so far. They're still accessible at RDF. Failing that you can give me your E-mail-address and I can send you the stuff.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#74  Postby cateye » Mar 11, 2010 11:41 am

Mazille wrote:Perhaps have a look at the articles that were submitted so far. They're still accessible at RDF. Failing that you can give me your E-mail-address and I can send you the stuff.

I pm'ed you my email-addy ;)

cateye

Male

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#75  Postby OgreMkV » Mar 15, 2010 2:27 am

bump to keep this in everyone's eye.

waiting patiently... sort of.
Even if you disprove evolution, it does not mean that ID or your religion is correct.
OgreMkV

Male

Print view this post

#76  Postby Mr.Samsa » Mar 15, 2010 3:59 am

OgreMkV wrote:bump to keep this in everyone's eye.

waiting patiently... sort of.

Is there anyone who participated in the failed second competition who isn't here now?
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#77  Postby hackenslash » Mar 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:Is there anyone who participated in the failed second competition who isn't here now?

By my reckoning, we're still missing Anthony88 and MKPR.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#78  Postby theropod » Mar 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Damned shame we can't get everyone over here!

My vote is cast in favor of starting the competition this upcoming weekend. I have ulterior motives, working away from the net during the day I need weekends to compose anything worth reading.

Anyway, Let's start soon!

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Oliver » Mar 16, 2010 12:57 am

I agree. As soon as you're ready, Mazille, then we're ready too!
Have you thought of a theme yet?
Oliver

Print view this post

#80  Postby Mazille » Mar 16, 2010 7:26 am

Oliver wrote:I agree. As soon as you're ready, Mazille, then we're ready too!
Have you thought of a theme yet?

No. :grin: (I'm open for ideas, though.)

As I said, rather busy at the moment. Sorry to leave you folks hanging there. :(
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology