New computer won't start

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

New computer won't start

#1  Postby aban57 » Jun 29, 2019 6:21 pm

Hi guy,
I really need some help here. I just mounted my new computer, with a few older parts. New motherboard, GC, processor, MS HD, and screen. Old SSD HD, and tower.
After mounting everything, the computer starts, but I get no image. Not even the motherboard logo. So I removed the old SSD, kept only the new M2, same issue. Different screen, different cable, different connection, same problem.
What other solution do I have other than plug the old GC ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: New computer won't start

#2  Postby tuco » Jun 29, 2019 6:33 pm

I think your best bet is to indeed plug in the old GC and see if that works. If it does, its the new GC, if it does not try the new GC in old MB. What kind of MB and CPU? Some newer CPUs (Intel 9. gen I know of) might need BIOS update for example. Obviously, you need to eliminate which component is causing the problem. Since you can't even get to BIOS I assume its not an issue with a boot disk.
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby aban57 » Jun 29, 2019 6:43 pm

fuck. Not even with the old GC....
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Jun 29, 2019 6:50 pm

Well, that's good news and bad news. So it's possible or even likely it's not the new GC. Thinking of which, you should be able to get to BIOS without a GC and even without a HD (i think). So you got OS on the old SSD? Did you re-check if you got all power connections, from PSU to MB and CPU connected correctly? And again, if you have Intel 9. gen it could be an issue with BIOS update. No idea about AMD but maybe it could also be that.
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby aban57 » Jun 29, 2019 6:55 pm

It's AMD, and no, you can't go to bios without anything to display it. I'll start all over again.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6  Postby tuco » Jun 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Yeah, that is probably best.

Googled this, no idea if it helps - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Do you have chipset B350 and Ryzen 5 (or 2. gen Ryzen) by any chance? I googled that this combo could need to flash BIOS, unlike chipset X470 for example.
tuco

Print view this post

#7  Postby aban57 » Jun 29, 2019 7:35 pm

their advice for flashing the bios is totally stupid, it's not like you've got several CPUs lying around to test an older version.... My old one is 5 years old, so....
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby tuco » Jun 29, 2019 7:38 pm

I know, but if it was the problem it could be fixed easily in the shop.
tuco

Print view this post

#9  Postby zerne » Jun 29, 2019 8:15 pm

Is the computer making any sounds when power is applied, any beeps? Does the motherboard have any integrated video?
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby aban57 » Jun 29, 2019 9:02 pm

No beep (first thing I listen when I start a new computer :) ), and yes, tried that too. Which makes me think it's not GC related. But if not, what's left ? If the processor is badly inserted, it doesn't come in anyway, and if not, it beeps. RAM problem ? Beep. HDD problem ? Beep. Maybe there is one but can't hear it, but I checked, the audio pins on the MB are correctly setup. Unplugged and plugged it all again, and same result.

Fucking hell.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11  Postby zerne » Jun 29, 2019 9:05 pm

No beeps is not a good sign, not hitting POST. Had that happen to me once the MB was kaput.
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby aban57 » Jun 30, 2019 11:22 am

I thought the first step here was the problem. But if I do plug the alimentaion on the 2nd slot (8 pin), nothing starts. I remove it, and keep the 24 pins, everything lights up and runs (including fans), but no boot.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#14  Postby zerne » Jun 30, 2019 5:52 pm

Progress, power's going through at least, but still no beeps? (is there a speaker attached)
Do you know the make/model of motherboard?
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby aban57 » Jun 30, 2019 6:27 pm

zerne wrote:Progress,

Not really, it's been like this since the beginning.

zerne wrote:power's going through at least, but still no beeps? (is there a speaker attached)

Still no beeps. But something makes me wonder. You normally have a cable coming from your case, with a set of pins, for each function (start, reboot, etc). These pins are supposed to be attached on a little piece, which comes on the bottom right (usually) of the MB. All my pins are connected to the piece, except the 4 from the speakers. On the other hand, I have a 4pin cable attached somewhere else for the audio. Wonder if it's the same thing, or if it's why I can't hear any beep.

zerne wrote:Do you know the make/model of motherboard?

Yes of course, it's brand new. I read the manual cover to cover 4 times so far, and nothing new.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Hermit » Jun 30, 2019 7:19 pm

What's the bet there's a cable you forgot to connect or is not seated properly?

I had the same problem a couple of years ago that you have now while putting a desktop unit together using parts from all over the place. Turned out to be a missing or not fully connected cable, I can't remember which, but after I rechecked the motherboard installation procedure step by step I found my mistake, corrected it everything was hunky-dory.

Sometimes it's something really basic that catch you out.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby aban57 » Jun 30, 2019 8:54 pm

Hermit wrote:What's the bet there's a cable you forgot to connect or is not seated properly?

I had the same problem a couple of years ago that you have now while putting a desktop unit together using parts from all over the place. Turned out to be a missing or not fully connected cable, I can't remember which, but after I rechecked the motherboard installation procedure step by step I found my mistake, corrected it everything was hunky-dory.

Sometimes it's something really basic that catch you out.

I imagine it woudld. Because otherwise the symptoms ould be different. No power, beeps, etc. But I did the entire process 3 times now, reading the motherboard book at every page. Can't see what I'm missing.
Anyway, tomorrow the phone support will be available, so we'll see.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#18  Postby tuco » Jun 30, 2019 8:56 pm

What is your MB and CPU?
tuco

Print view this post

#19  Postby aban57 » Jul 01, 2019 7:53 am

Phone support was very effective. It looks like I didn't insert the graphic card properly, this one's a bit tricky. Problem solved, and thanks all for your help :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20  Postby zerne » Jul 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Waah? It was the GC? Good, happy computering. :cheers:
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post