Ordered the iPhone SE today

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Ordered the iPhone SE today

#1  Postby The_Metatron » May 29, 2018 12:40 am

A strange sequence of events led to this.

When I started my business, I reused a retired iPhone 4 for my business phone. That works just fine as a phone, but little else. For navigation, dash camera, and the Square app (won’t run on the old iPhone 4), I was using my personal iPhone 6, which I carry as well as my business phone.

The battery in my iPhone 6 is failing. So, I need that battery replaced. But, I can’t do without the Square app while the phone is away being repaired.

I figured that I got good service from my old iPhone 4. But, it just won’t do what I need from it, so time to replace it. I need to separate the problem with my personal phone from my business.

So, a shiny new iPhone SE, black (space grey, whatever), 32GB memory, is on the way for $350.

I’m deeply interested in it’s value, which I’ll judge by it’s price and performance, weighed against what I need it to do for my business: email, sms, telephony, point of sale, work photography (in and out inspections, work in progress, etc), and navigation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Ordered the iPhone SE today

#2  Postby Macdoc » May 29, 2018 3:30 am

Good choice. On my radar too. It will perform very well.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 29, 2018 10:47 am

Apple? No way. Wasting your money.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Fallible » May 29, 2018 12:34 pm

:roll:
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » May 29, 2018 1:43 pm

I know somebody who owns an £800 Samsung so...
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

A - "Rod Howard is worth $6.5 billion currently!" B - "How much does he want in the end?"
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby SevenZarkSeven » May 29, 2018 1:45 pm

The_Metatron wrote:A strange sequence of events led to this.

When I started my business, I reused a retired iPhone 4 for my business phone. That works just fine as a phone, but little else. For navigation, dash camera, and the Square app (won’t run on the old iPhone 4), I was using my personal iPhone 6, which I carry as well as my business phone.

The battery in my iPhone 6 is failing. So, I need that battery replaced. But, I can’t do without the Square app while the phone is away being repaired.

I figured that I got good service from my old iPhone 4. But, it just won’t do what I need from it, so time to replace it. I need to separate the problem with my personal phone from my business.

So, a shiny new iPhone SE, black (space grey, whatever), 32GB memory, is on the way for $350.

I’m deeply interested in it’s value, which I’ll judge by it’s price and performance, weighed against what I need it to do for my business: email, sms, telephony, point of sale, work photography (in and out inspections, work in progress, etc), and navigation.

I just upgraded to iPhone eight from the SE. SE battery life isn't great, particularly when I use the Square reader. The camera on the eight is a quantum leap in terms of quality. The SE is nowhere near it.
The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women
SevenZarkSeven

Name: The Best Women
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby SevenZarkSeven » May 29, 2018 1:47 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Apple? No way. Wasting your money.

Why do people do this? When I don't like a product I just don't buy it. The tribal devotion to mobile devices and operating systems is bizarre to me.
The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women
SevenZarkSeven

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Keep It Real » May 29, 2018 1:49 pm

It's hardly crime of the decade to prefer 1 particular brand RE one particular accessory is it?
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

A - "Rod Howard is worth $6.5 billion currently!" B - "How much does he want in the end?"
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#9  Postby SevenZarkSeven » May 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Keep It Real wrote:It's hardly crime of the decade to prefer 1 particular brand RE one particular accessory is it?

No, but have you read the comments sections of tech sites on iPhone launch days? The technical details and depths they plumb in order to berate iPhone users are remarkable. I sometimes think they should get jobs developing products to beat it, they're that obsessed. No matter where you go, if you talk about using Apple stuff there's always some degree of 'waste of money/it doesn't do this' and so on. Sometimes people posts and pages and pages of it. It's really weird to me.
SevenZarkSeven

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Keep It Real » May 29, 2018 2:01 pm

I guess If I were to pick one feature which currently prevents me personally from wishing to own an iPhone it's the lack of half pitch USB charging/data transfer.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#11  Postby SevenZarkSeven » May 29, 2018 2:02 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I guess If I were to pick one feature which currently prevents me personally from wishing to own an iPhone it's the lack of half pitch USB charging/data transfer.

What's half pitch?
SevenZarkSeven

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Keep It Real » May 29, 2018 2:07 pm

The smaller/miniature usb plug, usually attached to a mains charger or larger/older usb plug on the other end of the lead, which you can plug into lappies etc when needed.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#13  Postby felltoearth » May 29, 2018 2:48 pm

The only time I need a USB connection is when I connect my iPhone/iPad to my music system. Everything else is cloud based. I use dropbox for almost all file transfers.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Keep It Real » May 29, 2018 2:53 pm

I remember seeing a new bit of tech the other day: a half pitch usb memory stick for plugging straight into common phones. There's certainly something to be said for three dimensional tangible tactile data storage media IMO.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#15  Postby SevenZarkSeven » May 29, 2018 3:22 pm

Ah right, so like mini or micro USB. It's never going to happen with Apple stuff. They're clearly betting big on everything being wireless. I hope eyre right. I hate dongles and leads etc. Always get lost, get in the way, inelegant and irritating.
SevenZarkSeven

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Fenrir » May 29, 2018 3:35 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:

Why do people do this? When I don't like a product I just don't buy it. The tribal devotion to mobile devices and operating systems is bizarre to me.

Personally wouldn't buy apple. It's not about the brand or the prices per se though, if you want to spend all that money that's up to you. More about shoddy design and anti-competitive business practices for me though.

Funny it's about the battery in this case though. Batteries are one of the few things apple will replace over the counter and for a very reasonable price at the moment. Course if you aren't near one of their shops it would be easier to purchase a replacement battery and change it yourself. Easy enough for most brands but apple go out of their way to make sourcing a battery as hard as possible, they don't sell parts to customers to repair themselves and make it as hard as possible for third parties to supply new or refurbished parts.

As I see it, if I purchase an item I own it and can stuff it up attempting my own repairs as I see fit.

Right to repair. Now.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Keep It Real » May 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Bought this the other day - portable usb recharge unit - 4 inches long - cost a fortune ; )

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 29, 2018 3:50 pm

Fenrir wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:

Personally wouldn't buy apple. It's not about the brand or the prices per se though, if you want to spend all that money that's up to you. More about shoddy design and anti-competitive business practices for me though.

Funny it's about the battery in this case though. Batteries are one of the few things apple will replace over the counter and for a very reasonable price at the moment. Course if you aren't near one of their shops it would be easier to purchase a replacement battery and change it yourself. Easy enough for most brands but apple go out of their way to make sourcing a battery as hard as possible, they don't sell parts to customers to repair themselves and make it as hard as possible for third parties to supply new or refurbished parts.

As I see it, if I purchase an item I own it and can stuff it up attempting my own repairs as I see fit.

Right to repair. Now.

Exactly! Job said back in the nineties: "You dont buy an Apple. You by the right to use it". Nice.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby The_Metatron » May 29, 2018 4:05 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:

Right to repair. Now.

Exactly! Job said back in the nineties: "You dont buy an Apple. You by the right to use it". Nice.

Prove it.

Lets see what Scot knows that google doesn’t:

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby The_Metatron » May 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Fenrir wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:

Right to repair. Now.

I’ll get my personal phone repaired. That isn’t the problem. I just can’t be without my Square reader while I do it.

And, my old iPhone 4 can’t do what I need from it. It still works fine, though. It’s never needed repair.

While we’re at it then, let’s see how many others here are actually using a six year old mobile phone.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology