Origin of Life

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Origin of Life

#1  Postby juju7 » Mar 02, 2017 8:40 am

juju7

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Origin of Life

#2  Postby juju7 » Mar 15, 2017 6:38 am

juju7

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby crank » Mar 15, 2017 7:30 am

You really need to come up with less misrepresentative thread titles, and also post some info about the topic. Your posts would have a better chance of getting looked at and less chance of pissing folk off. This isn't about the origin of life, it's about finding the earliest evidence yet of life. You have over 620 posts, I can't be the first to tell you this, though I don't remember coming across any before the last couple of days. That's a cute little thing in your avatar, what is it?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Rumraket » Mar 15, 2017 7:40 am

Agreed. But can anyone get the paper? It's here:http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v543/n7643/full/nature21377.html

I have institutional access to nature at work,but apparently the subscription does not include the most recent publications. I can't access anything newer than 2015.

Edit: Cancel that, I have access.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Rumraket

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby juju7 » Mar 15, 2017 1:12 pm

crank wrote:You really need to come up with less misrepresentative thread titles, and also post some info about the topic. Your posts would have a better chance of getting looked at and less chance of pissing folk off. This isn't about the origin of life, it's about finding the earliest evidence yet of life.

I disagree with you the earliest evidence points to the origin.
Do you have a better idea?

It is a mouse. Do you not have these where you live?
juju7

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Rumraket » Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm

juju7 wrote:
crank wrote:You really need to come up with less misrepresentative thread titles, and also post some info about the topic. Your posts would have a better chance of getting looked at and less chance of pissing folk off. This isn't about the origin of life, it's about finding the earliest evidence yet of life.

No. Here's why: This could simply be evidence of early life, several hundred millions years after it's origin.

Before this particular study, the earliest evidence was from 3.4 billion years ago approximately, was that then pointing to the origin of life? Of course not, since we now have evidence of life from 3.8 billion years ago.

Before the 3.4 billion year study, the earliest evidence was from about 2.7 billion years ago, was that then pointing to the origin of life? Again, no, for the same reason. All you can say when you have evidence of life existing, is that life existed at that time. It doesn't in any way imply it is evidence from the origin of life.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Rumraket

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby crank » Mar 15, 2017 4:17 pm

juju7 wrote:

Do you have a better idea?

It is a mouse. Do you not have these where you live?

I thought it might have been a more exotic rodent.

If the find had something something that actually was revelatory about the origin of life, it would have been a much bigger deal. As it seems to be just pushing back the time for earliest found life, the title is misleading. It's still highly interesting, but sheds no light on how life started, which would be profoundly, exceedingly interesting.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Return to General Science & Technology