Raspberry Pi3

Any users?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Raspberry Pi3

#21  Postby Adco » Apr 14, 2016 3:38 pm

Hobbes Choice wrote:
Adco wrote:So, I ordered my first Raspberry Pi today. Should arrive tomorrow. I am busy downloading the Operating System off the Raspberry site. 1Gb in size! And it's a zip file. Local suppliers didn't have the SD card with the OS already set up. This should be fun trying to get it to download and be in the correct file....

I have a request to design a commercial product and decided to jump into the deep end. I said "yes, I can do it" and will worry about the outcome at a later date.

There are plenty of tutorials available on the net so I am not looking for help.....not yet. I just wanted to see who else uses or would like to use this device. Looking at what it can do, it appears to be an extremely powerful and cost effective device.

Damn! Twice now it has aborted after about 50Mb of downloading saying there is an unexpected error. I can see the fun already beginning.

I think you have made an error. You need the Rhubarb 2100, it's got twice the RAM and the PARP operating system which has more gusto than any ordinary raspberry.

Too late now.....there's no way I'm going through another learning curve.
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Hobbes Choice » Apr 14, 2016 3:39 pm

Adco wrote:
Hobbes Choice wrote:
Adco wrote:So, I ordered my first Raspberry Pi today. Should arrive tomorrow. I am busy downloading the Operating System off the Raspberry site. 1Gb in size! And it's a zip file. Local suppliers didn't have the SD card with the OS already set up. This should be fun trying to get it to download and be in the correct file....

I have a request to design a commercial product and decided to jump into the deep end. I said "yes, I can do it" and will worry about the outcome at a later date.

There are plenty of tutorials available on the net so I am not looking for help.....not yet. I just wanted to see who else uses or would like to use this device. Looking at what it can do, it appears to be an extremely powerful and cost effective device.

Damn! Twice now it has aborted after about 50Mb of downloading saying there is an unexpected error. I can see the fun already beginning.

I think you have made an error. You need the Rhubarb 2100, it's got twice the RAM and the PARP operating system which has more gusto than any ordinary raspberry.

Too late now.....there's no way I'm going through another learning curve.

Just eat more prunes!!! :lol:
Hobbes Choice
Banned User

Name: Arthur Noni Mauss

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Adco » Apr 14, 2016 7:00 pm

Life is tough when you have all these whizz kids zooming around doing all the things you wish you had done as a youngster but you were too busy having a good time and now you look back and think, WTF.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Matt_B » Apr 15, 2016 10:12 am

Adco wrote:Life is tough when you have all these whizz kids zooming around doing all the things you wish you had done as a youngster but you were too busy having a good time and now you look back and think, WTF.

I think you're doing quite nicely. Most people never get beyond software stuff with the Raspberry Pi and most of the hardware projects I've seen only involve wiring a few relays, switches and sensors to the GPIO pins. You can consider yourself part of the Pi elite for what you've already achieved if that helps.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Adco » Apr 15, 2016 10:14 am

Success! I can now read and write to an external PIC configured as a remote I2C device with ease. :dance:

This means I can send or receive 1 of 256 different commands between the Master RPi and the Slave PIC. That is a lot of commands to have at one's disposal.

Now I have to convert the 3V3 RPi signal level to RS485 so that I can send the data long distances. The present voltage levels only allow a few metres of reliable comms. Ultimately, I need to run up to 100 I2C devices, all linked, through buildings etc. Good comms is essential.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Agrippina » Apr 16, 2016 8:36 am

MattB said:
Most people never get beyond software stuff with the Raspberry Pi

That's me. I used to use computers for media playing. Now I have only the one I got in January when my old MacBook died.
I use my raspberry pi as a Kodi media player. Not a power user, I just wanted to give my Mac mini that I used as a media player, to my grandkids, so one of my sons gave me his older Raspberry Pi to use. I must say I'm impressed. I don't have it connected to the internet, just exchange hard drives with the media I want to use on them. The kids bring me whatever media I want.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Adco » Apr 16, 2016 8:54 am

Matt_B wrote:
Adco wrote:Life is tough when you have all these whizz kids zooming around doing all the things you wish you had done as a youngster but you were too busy having a good time and now you look back and think, WTF.

I think you're doing quite nicely. Most people never get beyond software stuff with the Raspberry Pi and most of the hardware projects I've seen only involve wiring a few relays, switches and sensors to the GPIO pins. You can consider yourself part of the Pi elite for what you've already achieved if that helps.

It sure helps. :thumbup:

It's amazing how far one can go when money is involved.

Now that I'm becoming more familiar with the nitty grittys with RPi, the application possibilities are really opening up. And once the basics have been mastered, making software libraries that become building blocks makes it all easy.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Adco » Apr 26, 2016 3:01 pm

The RS485 was never going to work as a long distance driver. It needs an enable control line for the change of direction to happen. Not compatible with I2C which doesn't need any control. I found an I2C bus buffer in the form of a P82B96 driver chip. I connected a very long cable between the RPi and the I2C slave and it works perfectly! :dance: :thumbup: :drunk:
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Science & Technology