Refraction for data storage?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Refraction for data storage?

#1  Postby LjSpike » May 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Couldn't refraction serve in a variety of ways for data storage that is far more compressed?
A simplified read-only or WORM:
Light ray cast to point on top surface of data storage.
Beam refracts depending on the angle the top surface at that point has been carved at.
Beam exits at a point depending on how much material it must travel through to reach the bottom surface and what angle the bottom surface is at.

You'd be storing a lot more than a 1 or a 0 at that point, and to cancel out errors from machining the data storing object, you could group the resultant signals into blocks, each of which could be a detector for a light ray.

In some cases you could perhaps go further and have rays of differing wavelengths or entering at different angles producing more results?
LjSpike

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Refraction for data storage?

#2  Postby DavidMcC » May 06, 2017 7:33 pm

This technology has the problem of requiring many detectors instead of only one, and, if your suggestion of multiple wavelengths is also implemented, a broad-band laser source (or multiple sources) would also be required. Sounds like a potential electronic equivalent of a "hangar queen" to me, and a very expensive beast to boot.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby LjSpike » May 06, 2017 10:49 pm

DavidMcC wrote:This technology has the problem of requiring many detectors instead of only one, and, if your suggestion of multiple wavelengths is also implemented, a broad-band laser source (or multiple sources) would also be required. Sounds like a potential electronic equivalent of a "hangar queen" to me, and a very expensive beast to boot.

Guess so. It's just a brief idea I had. For monochromatic though the detectors wouldn't have to be incredibly elaborate, it'd just be a small LDR per detector. Set up 3 detectors and your already have 6561 digits per byte as a base-3 system. If you count none of the detectors receiving the light as data too then you have base-4 giving 65536 digits per byte, doubling data density (as you would require 2 bytes to store that). You could also achieve a higher read speed I presume than if using a normal HDD?
LjSpike

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DavidMcC » May 07, 2017 10:16 am

LjSpike wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:This technology has the problem of requiring many detectors instead of only one, and, if your suggestion of multiple wavelengths is also implemented, a broad-band laser source (or multiple sources) would also be required. Sounds like a potential electronic equivalent of a "hangar queen" to me, and a very expensive beast to boot.

Guess so. It's just a brief idea I had. For monochromatic though the detectors wouldn't have to be incredibly elaborate, it'd just be a small LDR per detector. Set up 3 detectors and your already have 6561 digits per byte as a base-3 system. If you count none of the detectors receiving the light as data too then you have base-4 giving 65536 digits per byte, doubling data density (as you would require 2 bytes to store that). You could also achieve a higher read speed I presume than if using a normal HDD?

There is a further issue, that a high degree of directional filtering/discrimination would be needed for each detector to avoid cross-talk, probably making the system physically rather large as well as complex.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby LjSpike » May 07, 2017 12:46 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
LjSpike wrote:

There is a further issue, that a high degree of directional filtering/discrimination would be needed for each detector to avoid cross-talk, probably making the system physically rather large as well as complex.

True. I've just lately found myself thinking about data storage a fair bit (for no apparent reason).
I wonder if smart materials will play a bigger role in future data storage... Perhaps ionochromic/magnetochromic layers between photoelectric layers might work for storage... I suspect magnetochromic would be more practical out of the two though.
LjSpike

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby DavidMcC » May 07, 2017 1:16 pm

LJ, that idea's been around for some time, and it lead to the following project at S'hampton Univ.:

http://newatlas.com/eternal-data-storage-nanostructured-glass/41951/
The quest for high-density immutable storage has taken a big leap forward thanks to "Superman crystals" developed by scientists at the University of Southampton. The glass discs are reportedly capable of storing up to 360 TB/disc of data and will last almost forever at room temperature (or as long as the current 13.8 billion year age of our Universe at 190° C/374° F).
Eternal data storage demonstrated in nanostructured glass
The quest for high-density immutable storage has taken a big leap forward thanks to "Superman crystals" developed by scientists at the University of Southampton. The glass discs are reportedly capable of storing up to 360 TB/disc of data and will last almost forever at room temperature (or as long as the current 13.8 billion year age of our Universe at 190° C/374° F).

I think it was the early nineties when I had lectures (Philips, internal) on the possible applications of nanostructured materials for lasers and memory applications.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to General Science & Technology