Something and Nothing

Lawrence Krauss' cosmology

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Something and Nothing

#21  Postby THWOTH » Apr 28, 2012 2:10 pm

Teuton wrote:Here's another comment by David Albert, who reviewed Krauss's book and was called a "moronic philosopher" by Krauss (despite the fact that Albert has also a Ph.D. in physics):

http://philocosmology.wordpress.com/201 ... omment-275

:silenced:

Krauss claims that the laws of quantum mechanics can provide an answer to the old philosophical question of why there is something rather than nothing...

Is this a spat about real world physics transgressing onto philosophy's lawn? Is physics unable, or necessarily excluded from, addressing this question? is the answer not to be found in physics, nor can/will it ever be?

(I see that Yair is among the commentors).
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Teuton » Apr 28, 2012 2:17 pm

There cannot be any causal explanation of why there is something rather than nothing, since the existence of a cause or causes presupposes the existence of something. So the only conceivable explanation is a modal explanation: There is something rather than nothing, because there must be something and there cannot be nothing.
The theistic explanation is such a modal explanation: There is something rather than nothing, because there is a god who is a necessary being.
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#23  Postby THWOTH » Apr 28, 2012 2:20 pm

I don't think Krauss disputes this does he?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Matt_B » Apr 28, 2012 3:04 pm

THWOTH wrote:I don't think Krauss disputes this does he?

No. The only thing he's really disputing is the application of a priori philosophy to issues of physical cosmology. But then again, respectable philosophers wouldn't do that, would they?
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#25  Postby hackenslash » May 05, 2012 11:11 pm

Teuton wrote:Krauss has been fooling around with the word "nothing". His book's title should read "A Universe From Something: Why there is something rather than nothing is a question that isn't answered in this book". Of course, the misleading title he chose sells better.

You keep erecting this fuckwittery, despite being beaten about the head repeatedly with just how fuckwitted it is. How about you display a little honesty here (and maybe a little aptitude at absorbing information presented to you)? He isn't being misleading, he's explaining in detail why what we think of as nothing isn't actually nothing, thus the title is entirely appropriate.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby hackenslash » May 05, 2012 11:15 pm

THWOTH wrote:
Teuton wrote:Here's another comment by David Albert, who reviewed Krauss's book and was called a "moronic philosopher" by Krauss (despite the fact that Albert has also a Ph.D. in physics):

http://philocosmology.wordpress.com/201 ... omment-275

:silenced:

Krauss claims that the laws of quantum mechanics can provide an answer to the old philosophical question of why there is something rather than nothing...

Is this a spat about real world physics transgressing onto philosophy's lawn? Is physics unable, or necessarily excluded from, addressing this question? is the answer not to be found in physics, nor can/will it ever be?

(I see that Yair is among the commentors).

No, it's a spat about wibblers thinking they can dictate to physicists about how they use language. Little do they realise that all their wibbling is utterly fucking useless in elucidating reality.

As Cito would say, this is spoon-bending at its finest.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#27  Postby Teuton » May 06, 2012 12:03 am

hackenslash wrote:He isn't being misleading, he's explaining in detail why what we think of as nothing isn't actually nothing, thus the title is entirely appropriate.

No, it isn't. The point is that what Krauss thinks of as nothing isn't actually nothing.

"What part of 'nothing' don't you understand?": http://edwardfeser.blogspot.de/2011/11/ ... t-you.html
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#28  Postby orpheus » May 06, 2012 4:19 am

:popcorn:

(Uncle Orph'sTM popcorn - "great taste; zero calories!" )
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby hackenslash » May 06, 2012 9:53 am

Teuton wrote:
hackenslash wrote:He isn't being misleading, he's explaining in detail why what we think of as nothing isn't actually nothing, thus the title is entirely appropriate.

No, it isn't. The point is that what Krauss thinks of as nothing isn't actually nothing.

"What part of 'nothing' don't you understand?": http://edwardfeser.blogspot.de/2011/11/ ... t-you.html

Is there a fucking echo in here? That's precisely what I said, and what I have been saying. When physicists talk about nothing they don't mean nothing, which is what Krauss' point has been all along.

Oh, and why are you linking me to what a fucking navel-gazer thinks on the topic? Are you doing that to deliberately piss me off? I don't give a flying fuck what a navel gazer thinks on the topic, including you. When will you ever get the fucking message that staring at the lint in your belly button is fucking worthless?
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby Mononoke » May 06, 2012 10:01 am

Teuton wrote:

But you can't have this 'actual nothing' without violating the laws of physics. This actual nothing philosophy fools around with is impossible as per our understanding of physics.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby twistor59 » May 06, 2012 12:28 pm

hackenslash wrote:

Oh, and why are you linking me to what a fucking navel-gazer thinks on the topic? Are you doing that to deliberately piss me off? I don't give a flying fuck what a navel gazer thinks on the topic, including you. When will you ever get the fucking message that staring at the lint in your belly button is fucking worthless?

May be mistaken, but I'm getting a bit of a vibe here that you're not a big fan of philosophy?
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby campermon » May 06, 2012 12:34 pm

twistor59 wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

May be mistaken, but I'm getting a bit of a vibe here that you're not a big fan of philosophy?

Yes. Hack has taken that particular metaphysical stance.

:coffee:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby hackenslash » May 06, 2012 12:36 pm

twistor59 wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

I've no problem with philosophy as a tool for engendering proper thinking, but I have absolutely no use for philosophy as an excuse for failing to think properly.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby twistor59 » May 06, 2012 12:40 pm

hackenslash wrote:
twistor59 wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

I've no problem with philosophy as a tool for engendering proper thinking, but I have absolutely no use for philosophy as an excuse for failing to think properly.

I could never get into it. Didn't understand the language. Thought qualia were something to shoot and eat.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby hackenslash » May 06, 2012 12:48 pm

The problem for me is that people put too much stock in what philosophers say. It's a classic argumentum ad verecundiam, and teuton here is among the worst offenders. I have no idea what he thinks about anything, because all he does is copy/paste the wibblings of others, and I have no truck with that. It also constitutes, in many respects, telling you what you should think, with nil regard for what observation tells us. Observation isn't just the ultimate arbiter, it's the only arbiter.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#36  Postby Teuton » May 06, 2012 2:11 pm

hackenslash wrote:The problem for me is that people put too much stock in what philosophers say. It's a classic argumentum ad verecundiam, and teuton here is among the worst offenders. I have no idea what he thinks about anything, because all he does is copy/paste the wibblings of others, and I have no truck with that.

Stop spreading lies about me!
I never quote others without putting the quoted text in italics, and I always add the sources.
All other sentences and texts in my posts are mine!
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Teuton wrote:
hackenslash wrote:The problem for me is that people put too much stock in what philosophers say. It's a classic argumentum ad verecundiam, and teuton here is among the worst offenders. I have no idea what he thinks about anything, because all he does is copy/paste the wibblings of others, and I have no truck with that.

I never quote others without putting the quoted text in italics, and I always add the sources.

Where in his post did he say you do not use quote tags or links to the original source?
He's saying that most times you don't explain your position, but rather quote others.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38  Postby hackenslash » May 06, 2012 4:01 pm

Teuton wrote:

It isn't a lie. I never accused you of plagiarism, but of pretty much only presenting the opinions of others. I have no idea of what you think, other than that you think your umbilicus is a source of information, which is asinine.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#39  Postby Someone » May 06, 2012 5:33 pm

:shifty:
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Name: James

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#40  Postby hackenslash » May 07, 2012 11:58 am

Teuton wrote:

I've been having a think about this, and I have a question. Are you planning to pen a slew of indignant posts about Mattesons because their hot dogs don't have dogs in?
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology