The Danger of Science Denial

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

The Danger of Science Denial

#1  Postby hackenslash » Apr 13, 2010 11:30 am

This is excellent.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OMLSs8t1ng[/youtube]
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The Danger of Science Denial

#2  Postby campermon » Apr 13, 2010 11:52 am

Nice one Hack!
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 13, 2010 12:10 pm

The comments are a real mess - some of the worst commentary I've seen on TED.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby hackenslash » Apr 13, 2010 12:13 pm

I hadn't actually looked at the comments until you mentioned it. Oh, my!
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

TED: Michael Specter - The danger of science denial

#5  Postby RichardPrins » Apr 14, 2010 1:11 am

Mod Note: post originally in its own topic. Since the topic was a duplicate of an existing topic, the two topics have been merged.

Vaccine-autism claims, "Frankenfood" bans, the herbal cure craze: All point to the public's growing fear (and, often, outright denial) of science and reason, says Michael Specter. He warns the trend spells disaster for human progress.
RichardPrins

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Re: TED: Michael Specter - The danger of science denial

#6  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 14, 2010 5:25 am

Thank you Richard for that. This topic is a very difficult one for me, my ex who I share custody of my son with has 'primary medical responsibility'. This means that if she doesn't want him to be vaccinated he doesn't get vaccinated. She doesn't want to get him vaccinated.

She did rent "The empire Strikes Back" so that he could understand the Jedi philosophy though. I mean fuck! What a brainless twat. I feel like I am leaving my son high and dry but the whole custody battle has left me so financially drained that I cannot even contemplate taking her back to court to force a decision any time soon.

Sorry, rant over.

I feel better now, carry on.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: TED: Michael Specter - The danger of science denial

#7  Postby heyjude » Apr 14, 2010 6:25 am

Wow Onyx8 .. I am really really sorry :( What a terrible situation :(

What I found pretty discouraging was all the comments after this TED talk. I'm not sure if being his completely accurate was the point.... but getting people to be scientifically and historically aware of how these ideas and choices affect not only themselves but everyone is pretty important. Ignorance is catching it seems.
I think therefore I am atheist
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby natselrox » Apr 15, 2010 11:52 am

Having debated a lot of those anti-science nutters in real-life, I can definitely relate to his frustration and disgust. :(
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Eduard » Apr 15, 2010 12:37 pm

Great topic and presentation!

It's true when he says that for some inane reason people attach more value and credibility to anecdotes than scientific findings.
-Ed

"Together we'll pull through. We are the strong, the brave, the few"
Eduard

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Matt_B » Apr 15, 2010 1:10 pm

EduardHorak wrote:Great topic and presentation!

It's true when he says that for some inane reason people attach more value and credibility to anecdotes than scientific findings.

I'd guess that's because its easier to understand an anecdote than scientific findings. On the other hand, people will attach very little credibility to anecdotes that they don't agree with.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Tks for the thoughts.

Someone on the old site had a sig that read: " The plural of anecdote is not data." Kinda liked it. :thumbup:
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby HughMcB » Apr 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Nice video :thumbup:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Eduard » Apr 16, 2010 8:07 am

Matt_B wrote:

I'd guess that's because its easier to understand an anecdote than scientific findings. On the other hand, people will attach very little credibility to anecdotes that they don't agree with.

What's disturbing is that certain anecdotes do not have the same sensationalism/stickiness as the ones that spread ignorance. That's why if you open any health-related magazine or media publication nowadays you will see big full-page ads on "alternative" medicines and supplements that are usually presented in the form of someone's miraculous success story. The same goes for bogus slimming products - a before/after case study picture cashes in on the same winning formula.

I recently bought and read a book on myths about general health and wellbeing (one myth being the case of shots causing autism) and I was amazed at how vehemently irrational people react when you tell them that it's BS that shots cause autism or echinacae/vit C/zinc effectively wards of colds and flu. People fucking flip out when you mess with their delusions :P
-Ed

"Together we'll pull through. We are the strong, the brave, the few"
Eduard

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby angelo » Apr 16, 2010 9:21 am

Big Placebo is an even bigger money spinner than legitimate medicine in a lot of cases. I've seen woo sleeping potions to cost three times more than prescription sleeping tablets like Temeza. The mark up on woo concoctions is more than 300% sometimes. And none of them work except for the placebo effect.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby heyjude » Apr 16, 2010 10:08 am

What is interesting to me, is the whole phenomena of skepticism without enquiry or logic. It seems by far at its strongest in the US. I applaud people being skeptical, but this seems to be more a culture of contrary-ness... just like little kids holding their breath until they turn blue ' I won't I won't I won't'. There is such a mistrust of 'Big Government' - so now they don't trust anything that comes out of what they see as the establishment. That means medicine, education, anything administered by an 'institution' of any kind has an ulterior motive. So they don't look for evidence for their wariness, they just feed on rumours and hearsay.

Of course they are not getting taught how to be critical thinkers... how to look at data and think for themselves with logic and reason, but when you see it in such a large scale it is so disappointing. Imagine the US when the current teens are running the country... yikes :(
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Alan C » Apr 21, 2010 10:33 am

heyjude wrote:What is interesting to me, is the whole phenomena of skepticism without enquiry or logic. It seems by far at its strongest in the US. I applaud people being skeptical, but this seems to be more a culture of contrary-ness... just like little kids holding their breath until they turn blue ' I won't I won't I won't'. There is such a mistrust of 'Big Government' - so now they don't trust anything that comes out of what they see as the establishment. That means medicine, education, anything administered by an 'institution' of any kind has an ulterior motive. So they don't look for evidence for their wariness, they just feed on rumours and hearsay.

Of course they are not getting taught how to be critical thinkers... how to look at data and think for themselves with logic and reason, but when you see it in such a large scale it is so disappointing. Imagine the US when the current teens are running the country... yikes :(

I almost shat myself reading that last part. :ill:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby heyjude » Apr 21, 2010 10:46 am

Alan C wrote:
heyjude wrote:

I almost shat myself reading that last part. :ill:

I know. It's not that there aren't some smart young people, but they are few and far between. When I watched Bill Gates' TED talk about the education system I was pretty freaked out. They don't even have a chance.
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby angelo » Apr 21, 2010 11:08 am

All alternative medicine is in reality denial of real science. Yet it is still thriving. Placebo effect is up to 30% effective is the main reason.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby angelo » Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Most of Teds videos are great viewing.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next