Why are millennials so impatient?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Why are millennials so impatient?

#1  Postby Paul1 » Aug 07, 2017 2:55 am

The following article suggests that millennials are prudent, not impatient/entitled: https://blogs.wsj.com/experts/2017/05/1 ... e-prudent/

What do you think?

My take on it:
I'm a millennial supposedly. IMO, the difference is whether a person compares themselves to others or not, as a habit. No other generation than my own is more easily able to see the achievements of others (i.e. via social media). Coupled with the fact that a lot of people are career obsessed, thanks to our modern upbringing, to the point of no longer realising that money isn't the be all and end all of life.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Why are millennials so impatient?

#2  Postby tuco » Aug 07, 2017 5:57 am

I tend to agree that the modern, digital, world is a fast world. About marshmallows I dunno, have no information respectively.
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 07, 2017 8:51 am

There's no such thing. It's an arbitrary age group used primarily in the ad buisness and by older generations to complain about young people, which happens every generation.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Paul1 » Aug 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:There's no such thing. It's an arbitrary age group used primarily in the ad buisness and by older generations to complain about young people, which happens every generation.

Well as a millennial you would say that :-P

I guess we do it to old people too. They ruined the UK with Brexit and shouldn't have had a vote because they're all about to die soon. Apparently. (Isn't the vote meant to be anonymous?)
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Paul1 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:There's no such thing. It's an arbitrary age group used primarily in the ad buisness and by older generations to complain about young people, which happens every generation.

Well as a millennial you would say that :-P

I guess we do it to old people too. They ruined the UK with Brexit and shouldn't have had a vote because they're all about to die soon. Apparently. (Isn't the vote meant to be anonymous?)

And boomers would say the same about being selfish boomers.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby scott1328 » Aug 07, 2017 2:02 pm

It's the Gen-Xers who bear the weight of the world. The selfish, entitled boomers, and the lazy entitled millennials are a horrible drag on the planet.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Aug 07, 2017 2:40 pm

You kids are all spoiled. When I were lad....
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 07, 2017 9:42 pm

Those damn hippies, I mean greasers, I mean Yuppies, .....
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Mazille » Aug 07, 2017 9:51 pm

I once agreed to stay on a low-level wage for a month of probation while still taking on a leading role, with the promise of recieving the actual wage agreed on the second month. Everything went well, but the money wasn't forthcoming, so I left. I wouldn't even have agreed to a vague promise of some more money at some unspecified time years away. That's got nothing to do with being impatient. That's just me not being an idiot.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#10  Postby tuco » Aug 07, 2017 10:14 pm

Indeed, every time someone negotiates assertively with employer, all employees benefit from it. This works, for collective, unlike the link.

The OP article asserts: a) First, they are concerned about the economy. b) Second, many millennials don’t believe organizations reward good work over time.

As for a) we live in quite stable and profitable times. They might be concerned with economy but lets go back a couple of decades or 1/2 century. Then people were not concerned?

As for b) there are several reasons. See a), information age, high mobility, what Paul1 said, higher education, globalization, etc

Lastly, the article is (?) written from the US perspective and I would guess such perspective is not fitting elsewhere.
tuco

Print view this post

#11  Postby Mazille » Aug 07, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm going to say this without any intention of US bashing: I think USians generally speaking are just more used - and more vulnerable legally - to getting fucked over in the workplace.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tuco » Aug 08, 2017 12:27 am

Was working in NYC as painter. Before I got the job I was asked if I dont mind working with blacks. Anyway, boss often asked us to do overtime or weekends and from the crew only me and a Cuban guy were like .. no way or you have to pay much more .. and boss was like .. wtf?! The Cuban guy was skilled and I was cheap so he let us be. Then he assigned me working in pair with a guy from Malaysia and the fucker was pestering me all the time, kept talking about Jesus, and listened masses on radio when driving to Long Island. So one day I snapped, told him to fuck off, and got fired.
tuco

Print view this post

Return to General Science & Technology