Youtube Video Previews

Just got outsized

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Youtube Video Previews

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 13, 2019 1:04 pm

I know this has been 'rolling out' to various people, so some of you may not have experienced this yet, but last night my YT recommended feed's page layout got updated so that there are now just 8 gigantic video previews on view at once.

It's crap - I've got a large monitor, and these previews would be easily large enough to watch in the layout resolution. When I am just looking something of random interest to pass a few minutes, I'm just going to end up spamming refresh... and because algorithms keep tossing out previously offered ones, those 8 choices really are only 5 or 6. Not sure if other people experience selection paralysis, but I know I'd surely like to have a damn sight more choices than that per click.

Quite why they don't make it user configurable is beyond me.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Youtube Video Previews

#2  Postby newolder » Nov 13, 2019 1:14 pm

I tweeted the @youtube account asking why my left panel navigation has disappeared to be replaced by a drop-over section instead. No reply as yet.

"Old man shakes fist at cloud"!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 13, 2019 1:37 pm

newolder wrote:I tweeted the @youtube account asking why my left panel navigation has disappeared to be replaced by a drop-over section instead.

Is that more fun in store?

Surely YT can grasp the concept of configurability, especially when it's just allowing something that's already stable and has worked fine for years.

newolder wrote: No reply as yet.

"Old man shakes fist at cloud"!

Seems like they don't reply to anything; still worth registering dislike.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby newolder » Nov 13, 2019 1:47 pm

I've found a couple of replies from the @TeamYoutube account in the "updated home" topic: https://twitter.com/YouTube/status/1192498903817437184

e.g.

TeamYouTube @TeamYouTube

Replying to @SubZeroExtabyte and @YouTube

As you scroll down the new homepage, the same number of videos are available to you as before, but you may notice fewer videos per row. This makes room for more info at a glance (higher res previews, longer titles, & channel icons) to help you more easily choose what to watch.

But the replies to these replies are also negative. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 13, 2019 1:50 pm

Their recommended video section has been shite for over a year so I dont trust them to get anything right, UI-wise.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 13, 2019 3:35 pm

newolder wrote:I've found a couple of replies...

It's so obviously designed for touch screen stuff. No doubt, that's very important to cater to, but there's no excuse for not having a configuration for people watching on their monitor or TV.

While not exactly my job, I often have to be involved in page layout for show bibles and the like, and this would be an automatic critical comment from me - it's looks comically oversized; a really poor use of the screen space.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 13, 2019 3:36 pm

I remember stumbling into the recommended page once. Looked around, said "What the hell is this shit?" and never went there again.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 13, 2019 3:46 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:I remember stumbling into the recommended page once. Looked around, said "What the hell is this shit?" and never went there again.

It's alright once you've trained the algorithms - well, it was fine when I had a bunch of options to watch at a glance - can be a bit repetitive though, and also get a bit over-excited because you once watched 10 seconds of 1 video and now it wants to recommend connected videos for the rest of your life.

Typically though, I use YT just as a filler, like when I am drinking my morning coffee and striving to attain human consciousness.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Hermit » Nov 14, 2019 12:16 pm

The rant thread looks like a suitable spot for first world problems such as this one. I suggest you stop paying Youtube for its service until it sees the error of its ways. ;)
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 14, 2019 7:44 pm

Oh?

Ok, well then - you'd probably better move the thread and merge it with the rant thread then, Hermit.

Incidentally, we '3rd world' people have Youtube too. Little bit of technology news of the day for you.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 14, 2019 10:25 pm

Hate the new UI. Like many commenters have said, a change no-one was asking for.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Hermit » Nov 15, 2019 12:14 am

Spearthrower wrote:Incidentally, we '3rd world' people have Youtube too.

Undoubtedly - and as you have demonstrated here, first world problems know no borders. :mrgreen:
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby The_Piper » Nov 15, 2019 1:21 am

The only difference I can see on my desktop is that the icons are bigger. I don't do much browsing on portable devices outside of summer.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Hermit » Nov 15, 2019 2:48 am

Yeah, I get four big thumbnails per row since about a month or two ago. I just scroll down when I want to see more previews, or hit Ctrl-- a couple of times. Then I get six previews per row. Works with Firefox on Windows and on Linux. Probably not on TV. Whatever. It's no great shakes for me.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Return to General Science & Technology