Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

History podcast

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

#1  Postby Pulsar » Sep 20, 2013 3:40 pm

I recently stumbled across Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast, and I cannot recommend it highly enough:

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive

I started with Thor's Angels (which covers the period between the fall of the Roman Empire and Charlemagne), and yesterday I finished his 5-part series Wrath of the Khans (how can you refuse such a title?), his 8-hour (!) story of the Mongol empire. And my god, what a story it is! Parts 2 & 3 in particular are better than any epic movie I've ever seen.

Carlin is a born storyteller, and dares to raise some thought-provoking topics (for instance, whether Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan have more in common with Hitler and Stalin than we often like to admit). Do yourself a favour and give his podcasts a try. Each episode is at least 1.5 hours, but it's worth it.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

#2  Postby mindhack » Sep 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Bookmarking :thumbup:
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Sep 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Pulsar wrote:(for instance, whether Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan have more in common with Hitler and Stalin than we often like to admit)

Well this bit certainly entices me. I am already inclined to wonder about the hagiography surrounding historical figures. For instance; Was Jesus merely a Jim Jones/Michael Travesser/Charles Manson type? A question most would baulk at even attempting to ask let alone try to answer.

Book marked.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby jaydot » Sep 25, 2013 9:56 pm

also bookmarking
jaydot

Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Sep 25, 2013 11:34 pm

I really liked the one on Marian Luther, which is the only one I've listened to so far.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Pulsar » Sep 26, 2013 7:31 am

Animavore wrote:I really liked the one on Marian Luther, which is the only one I've listened to so far.

That's a fascinating episode, isn't it? The Jim Jones-like cult that took over Munster felt like something from a Stephen King novel. Brilliant stuff.

I've now listened to all the free episodes, except the last one. Wrath of the Khans is definitely the best, but the last parts of Death Throes of the Republic are just as great, especially Part 6, which is the well-known story of Caesar and his contemporaries.

I'm going to check out the older episodes as well, which cost $2 each.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7  Postby columbo's cigar » Oct 06, 2013 5:09 pm

I have enjoyed many of his history podcasts. My only reservation about him is that apparently he is a Ron Paul supporter.
Sir, there is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out.
columbo's cigar

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Pulsar » Oct 30, 2013 11:38 pm

A new podcast is out! :dance:

Blueprint for Armageddon

The first episode in a multi-part series on WWI. I've just finished it, and it's brilliant! It covers the chain of events that led to the war, the complex relations between all the key nations, and the German invasion of Belgium. Great stuff!
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Pulsar » Aug 18, 2014 7:00 pm

New episodes:

Blueprint for Armageddon II

The Great Powers all come out swinging in the first round of the worst war the planet has ever seen. Millions of men in dozens of armies vie in the most deadly and complex opening moves of any conflict in world history.

Blueprint for Armageddon III

The war of maneuver that was supposed to be over quickly instead turns into a lingering bloody stalemate. Trench warfare begins, and with it, all the murderous efforts on both sides to overcome the static defenses.

Blueprint for Armageddon IV

Machine guns, barbed wire and millions upon millions of artillery shells create industrialized meat grinders at Verdun and the Somme. There's never been a human experience like it and it changes a generation.
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Pulsar » Dec 31, 2014 2:47 pm

Blueprint for Armageddon V

The USA is rising, Russia is falling. Casualties are mounting and the politicians have had enough! Politics, diplomacy, revolution and mutiny take center stage at the start of this episode, but mud, blood, shells and tragedy drown all by the end.
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Stylesjl » Jan 20, 2015 9:41 am

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is brilliant, he gives a fantastic history on the First World War. I just love how he blends it together telling you about the overview of the war itself, individuals, the human cost of war (in terms of what soldiers had to live through) and sometimes even the mildly positive sides (he references Ernst Junger in that regard). It really is very well rounded and well told.
Stylesjl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nicko » Jan 20, 2015 9:51 am

Stylesjl wrote:Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is brilliant, he gives a fantastic history on the First World War. I just love how he blends it together telling you about the overview of the war itself, individuals, the human cost of war (in terms of what soldiers had to live through) and sometimes even the mildly positive sides (he references Ernst Junger in that regard). It really is very well rounded and well told.

I like his use of analogy as well. His comparison of the Germanic "barbarian" tribes with outlaw biker gangs in "Thor's Angels" was inspired.

I think he's said he wants to do more Classical/Ancient history this year. Looking forward to that.

Common Sense (his other podcast) is pretty good as well.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Pulsar » May 06, 2015 1:26 pm

It was a long wait, but the last part of Blueprint is finally up:

Blueprint for Armageddon VI
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#14  Postby HughMcB » May 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Ah bollocks, I was only downloading new podcasts yesterday and didn't see this new one up. I'll do it when I get home.

Has anyone paid for the back catalogue? Apparently the one on Rome is pretty great.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Pulsar » May 06, 2015 3:09 pm

HughMcB wrote:Ah bollocks, I was only downloading new podcasts yesterday and didn't see this new one up.

It's only been up for a few hours.

HughMcB wrote:Has anyone paid for the back catalogue? Apparently the one on Rome is pretty great.

Yep, especially the 6th part (the classic story of Ceasar, Pompey et al - 5.5 hours long) is fantastic. I also highly recommend Thor's Angels (from the fall of the Roman Empire to Charlemagne), Ghosts of the Ostfront (the Russian front in WWII, 4 parts), Punic Nightmares (the Punic Wars, 3 parts) and Judgment at Nineveh (the ancient Assyrians).
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 06, 2015 3:39 pm

Pulsar wrote:
HughMcB wrote:Ah bollocks, I was only downloading new podcasts yesterday and didn't see this new one up.

Gah, too bad you can't download it, this would be great on the plane today.

HughMcB wrote:Has anyone paid for the back catalogue? Apparently the one on Rome is pretty great.

Yep, especially the 6th part (the classic story of Ceasar, Pompey et al - 5.5 hours long) is fantastic. I also highly recommend Thor's Angels (from the fall of the Roman Empire to Charlemagne), Ghosts of the Ostfront (the Russian front in WWII, 4 parts), Punic Nightmares (the Punic Wars, 3 parts) and Judgment at Nineveh (the ancient Assyrians).

I massively enjoyed Wrath Of The Khans series as well. But yeah, the Rome one is fantastic, it's what got me hooked on his podcast.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby smudge » May 06, 2015 3:54 pm

I've been listening for a while so listened to most of the earlier ones for free (lucky me!).Still keep them in iTunes for a re-listen later. Yes, the one on the Roman Republic is terrific, as is Ghosts of the Ostfront, Punic Nightmares, and the others Pulsar listed. I also particularly enjoyed Apache Tears, and Prophet's of Doom. But I really cant remember a poor episode...

I am behind on the show actually, haven't listened to any of the Armageddon series yet.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Nicko » May 06, 2015 4:06 pm

Pulsar wrote:It was a long wait, but the last part of Blueprint is finally up:

Blueprint for Armageddon VI

He took his sweet time with that one, didn't he?

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Nicko » May 06, 2015 4:09 pm

smudge wrote:I am behind on the show actually, haven't listened to any of the Armageddon series yet.

They're very good.

Hopefully we'll get to the promised Ancient/Classical stuff now. I've enjoyed the WWI stuff, but my daughter wants something more like "Wrath of the Khans" to go to sleep with.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Pulsar » May 06, 2015 4:23 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Pulsar wrote:

Gah, too bad you can't download it, this would be great on the plane today.

I've downloaded it with the Video DownloadHelper add-on in Firefox.
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Next

Return to History