Did a Nazi bomb fall on your house?

This map will tell you [LONDON]

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Did a Nazi bomb fall on your house?

#21  Postby Matt_B » Apr 10, 2015 5:43 am

There were no raids on Sydney, but there were a couple of high explosive bombs and a parachute mine dropped near my old house in London. Thankfully they didn't come up on the survey and the new buyer was none the wiser to that fact. ;)
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#22  Postby rplatell » Apr 10, 2015 6:05 am

TopCat wrote:Almost all within the disc of the M25. Weird, I thought that was built after the war....

That's because the study area was limited to (present day) Greater London, which is roughly bounded by the M25. Many other parts of the country were of course bombed as well, but have not been included in this project.
rplatell

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby rplatell » Apr 10, 2015 6:11 am

Alan B wrote:I noticed one error where 'Napier Road' in East Ham is said to be in Bekton. It's nowhere near Bekton which is about two or three miles away.
Also, this data has been superimposed on a modern map where roads do not exist where they once were making it historically inaccurate.
I noticed that there are some bombs missing, so it is not complete.

And the oldest Norman church in London (St. Mary Magdalene, East Ham) is not even shown yet they list KFC and fucking McDonalds that did even exist then!

From the website:

Location data recorded in text form as address. This project has used various automatic geo-coders to link the address field to a British National Grid Coordinate. This method in not infallible and some spurious locations exist and the process introduces error.
An actual measure of accuracy is difficult to obtain but when using the data you must be aware that there are errors in the positioning of the locations where the bombs fell.
For this reason the dataset we have presented is useful for non-commercial and general use but should not be used for any legal purposes.

Yes, it would have been good if they could have used a contemporary underlay showing the streets as they were at the time - however, I suspect that there are copyright reasons why they couldn't use the original maps.
rplatell

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24  Postby TopCat » Apr 10, 2015 6:28 am

rplatell wrote:
TopCat wrote:Almost all within the disc of the M25. Weird, I thought that was built after the war....

That's because the study area was limited to (present day) Greater London, which is roughly bounded by the M25. Many other parts of the country were of course bombed as well, but have not been included in this project.

I did wonder if anyone would suffer a complete failure in their irony detection apparatus when I posted that.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby rplatell » Apr 10, 2015 6:34 am

Pleased to oblige :oops:
rplatell

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous