Do we actually learn anything meaningful from history?

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Do we actually learn anything meaningful from history?

#141  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Agrippina wrote:they were either sucking the words out of their thumbs or simply incorrect

I need to catalog that one; it's a dandy.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#142  Postby Agrippina » Feb 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Agrippina wrote:they were either sucking the words out of their thumbs or simply incorrect

I need to catalog that one; it's a dandy.

:lol: :thumbup:

I was going to say something else but then tried to be a lady.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#143  Postby Agrippina » Feb 22, 2012 1:26 pm

logical bob wrote:Aggie, I think you're cutting Biblical believers far too much slack by allowing that the Bible might be intended as factual in the way Thucydides was trying to be. If the Bible in general and the Gospels in particular were really based on what people who were there told the author or the author's imperfect recollections of something he saw it would be a historical source in the way Thucydides is. The theological content of the Bible makes it a different beast altogether.

I always try to be fair, especially to the under-educated and uninformed. Most people can't help being closed-minded about religion, they're brainwashed from childhood and indoctrinated to ignore all learning that disagrees with their knowledge of God.

Pointing out to them that The Peloponnesian War and Herodotus' Histories were written about the same time as the OT, yet, even with their faults, they are regarded as a valid source for history, while the Bible isn't. They need to question that. It's not just that the "nasty atheists" are being mean but because their book simply doesn't agree with the evidence, but those two do. So simple to understand.

Sigh!
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#144  Postby andyx1205 » Mar 25, 2012 7:25 pm

What we have learned from history is precisely that we have not learned from history.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to History