Germanic tribes, Celts and other Europeans

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Germanic tribes, Celts and other Europeans

#41  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 16, 2020 1:53 am

Nevets wrote:
You have been going for 10 years, and you have formed a clique, and this place is not what it was originally intended for, and you are unwelcoming and hostile and patronising to newcomers.

Your allegations of trollery is also not warranted.
There are worse things than trollery. Such as abuse, and rude and obnoxious behaviour.

Now if you actually look back. I did not once quote "one single person".
I quoted "only" the OP, and i did not respond to any arguments that where made to my responses, that did not pertain to the subject of the OP.

In threads i made, each and every one of them was derailed and trolled, with lies and underhanded tactics.

I did not once call any individual any name whatsoever, and i was insulted, mocked et cetera.

But i am aware of the real reason. It is because i am not biased. I am not a liar. I am not bought by anyone and i have a mind of my own, and if i think Saddam Hussein was innocent, i will say it, even if i do think 9/11 being an inside job is insane.

But you have not got the balls. You need to be part of a herd.

Arrogant, smug, condescending and bullshit.

Act like this anywhere in human society Nevets, and you're going to find that people don't like you.

But go ahead and blame everyone else for your failings.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 16, 2020 2:00 am

Nevets wrote:
And if the owner of this place wants to make something of this forum, then it is you lot that will need cleaned out.

Look at that arrogance!

Guy rocks up, acts like an ass, then talks about how everyone else needs to be 'cleaned out'.

You're concern trolling, Steven. We've all seen it before.

You also have a vastly bloated sense of self-worth that is ironic given your inability to read even entry level sentences on topics on Wikipedia - a resource that exists specifically to provide introductory level information to people who know nothing about a topic.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#43  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 16, 2020 10:03 am

Why would somebody attempt to use wikipedia to make any progress on substantive issues in European history or historical linguistics? It would be an error in judgement, at the very least. It's hard enough even for academic historians and linguists but they are the ones who establish what the substantive issues are in these areas. Anyway, what does progress look like, besides the fact that some questions cease being revived, except among cranks? Even identifying the substantive issues looks a lot like a matter of opinion, and wikipedia for this purpose is here significantly a repository of opinion.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#44  Postby tuco » Mar 16, 2020 10:41 am

It's like asking, why would anyone argue such attempts.
tuco

Print view this post

#45  Postby Hermit » Mar 16, 2020 10:44 am

Cito di Pense wrote:Why would somebody attempt to use wikipedia to make any progress on substantive issues in European history or historical linguistics?

Nevets did not aim for progress. He tried to use the Wikipedia as supports for his propositions. He failed for one or a combination of three more or less intertwined reasons:

1) The Wikipedia snippet he quoted did not say what he thought it did, sometimes to the extent of outrightly contradicting what he thought it proves.

2) He used a Wikipedia snippet in an attempt to make a point that was not applicable to his argument. E.g. the link to the Ahrensburg culture bears no relationship whatsoever to Anglo culture circa 12,000 years later.

3) Even when Nevets quoted a snippet from the Wikipedia that meant what he said it did and was relevant to the topic at hand, he more often than not managed to draw conclusions from it that simply did not follow.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#46  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 16, 2020 10:57 am

Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:Why would somebody attempt to use wikipedia to make any progress on substantive issues in European history or historical linguistics?

Nevets did not aim for progress. He tried to use the Wikipedia as supports for his propositions. He failed for one or a combination of three more or less intertwined reasons:

1) The Wikipedia snippet he quoted did not say what he thought it did, sometimes to the extent of outrightly contradicting what he thought it proves.

2) He used a Wikipedia snippet in an attempt to make a point that was not applicable to his argument. E.g. the link to the Ahrensburg culture bears no relationship whatsoever to Anglo culture circa 12,000 years later.

3) Even when Nevets quoted a snippet from the Wikipedia that meant what he said it did and was relevant to the topic at hand, he more often managed to draw conclusions from it that simply did not follow.

I'm not disputing any of that. Why would somebody attempt to use wikipedia to make any progress on substantive issues in European history or historical linguistics?
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Hermit » Mar 16, 2020 11:05 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:

3) Even when Nevets quoted a snippet from the Wikipedia that meant what he said it did and was relevant to the topic at hand, he more often managed to draw conclusions from it that simply did not follow.

I'm not disputing any of that. Why would somebody attempt to use wikipedia to make any progress on substantive issues in European history or historical linguistics?

Oh. Sorry. I mistook the question you started your post off with as a rhetorical one, meaning that Nevets attempted to use Wikipedia to make some progress on substantive issues in European history or historical linguistics. My mistake.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Sgt Kelly » Mar 16, 2020 11:24 am

I see a lot of the tropes connected with the view held among certain Muslims that East and West are still locked in the same battle that started with the Crusades.

• Imagining that Europeans are still predominantly Christian and interested in defending the actions - real or imagined - of popes hundreds of years ago
  • No understanding of the evolution of the separation between church and state in Europe
  • Misuse and misunderstanding of terms all over the shop - as if by someone who was taught an entirely different grasp on history
Sgt Kelly

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Hermit » Mar 16, 2020 11:37 am

Sgt Kelly wrote:I see a lot of the tropes connected with the view held among certain Muslims that East and West are still locked in the same battle that started with the Crusades.

• Imagining that Europeans are still predominantly Christian and interested in defending the actions - real or imagined - of popes hundreds of years ago
  • No understanding of the evolution of the separation between church and state in Europe
  • Misuse and misunderstanding of terms all over the shop - as if by someone who was taught an entirely different grasp on history

Nevets has created a thread on that topic. He titled it Has the battle between east and west happened already

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#50  Postby Nevets » Mar 16, 2020 10:45 pm

Thomas Eshuis "does not" work as a historian at Groningen University as he claimed.
I found this out, because i was that concerned about the state of our education system, that a Historian from Groningen University was getting involved in online trivial nonsense, accusing one of beating their wife, and getting even contemporary historical facts completely wrong, such as Normans having nothing to do with Denmark, or norse people.
I actually decided to put in a complaint with Groningen University, only for them to send an email back assuring me that nobody of the name of Thomas Eshuis has ever worked at Groningen University.
So i decided to do a little research, and i found out being a historian at Groningen University is an online pseudonym Thomas has created for himself. He opened an account on a website where "absolutely anyone" can create a profile claiming to be a Historian connected to a university. And people can contact them for advise on certain subjects. And sure enough, Thomas Eshuis does have an account claiming to be a Historian at Groningen University, and is offering his services on Research gates website

Thomas Eshuis
University of Groningen | RUG · Department of History https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Eshuis

I went to the official site of Grongon University, just to get some definitive proof for what i already knew, and i got it in seconds

Your search did not match any documents.
If you are looking for a staff member (and you are not sure how his/her name is spelled), please contact the switchboard, 050-363 9111.

You can also search for names by department if you know where the staff member you are looking for works. https://www.rug.nl/staff/?currentPage=1 ... 1&count=10

Just to be sure, i searched through every single member of staff in Groningen University History departments, and there are many, but no Thomas Eshuis
https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/how-to-find ... ne=History

The only thing i could find, that was connected to Thomas Eshuis, was a bit of schoo homework he done. A Jew for a Jew
https://prezi.com/rl-qkdifzidv/the-use- ... -messages/

And somewhere else where he was arguing that he would date a transgender male (which is ok, no problem)

Sure I would date a transgendered person, of either sex/gender.
I'm primarily attracted to a persons personality, not their bits. https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... 7#13806325

Quite open minded actually, if you ask me.
But no, he is not a lecturer at Groningen University in Holland, as he claims.
This is a fake online Psuedonym he has created for himself, and i spotted it the second he replied to my first post.
He is barely out of pre-pubency.

I cannot comment on how many others on here are involved in his little game.

But no Thomas. I am not beating my wife.
Nor am i creating fake online Psuedonyms as part of some online role playing game.

I also think you need to remove your profile at research gate Thomas, because that is not just fantasy role play. That is "fraud".

Thanks
Nevets
Banned User

Name: steven gall

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Mar 16, 2020 11:05 pm

Stalking reported.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Mar 16, 2020 11:16 pm

I'm sure most people lie about themselves online. I don't know whether it's the case nor see why it matters or how it's relevant to this discussion. Off-topic personalisation doesn't advance the discussion.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Fallible » Mar 16, 2020 11:18 pm

Wow, Steven. That isn’t weird at all.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#54  Postby felltoearth » Mar 16, 2020 11:23 pm

Hey everyone! My real name isn’t felltoearth. Just so you know.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#55  Postby felltoearth » Mar 16, 2020 11:24 pm

Nevets wrote:Thomas Eshuis "does not" work as a historian at Groningen University as he claimed.
I found this out, because i was that concerned about the state of our education system, that a Historian from Groningen University was getting involved in online trivial nonsense, accusing one of beating their wife, and getting even contemporary historical facts completely wrong, such as Normans having nothing to do with Denmark, or norse people.
I actually decided to put in a complaint with Groningen University, only for them to send an email back assuring me that nobody of the name of Thomas Eshuis has ever worked at Groningen University.
So i decided to do a little research, and i found out being a historian at Groningen University is an online pseudonym Thomas has created for himself. He opened an account on a website where "absolutely anyone" can create a profile claiming to be a Historian connected to a university. And people can contact them for advise on certain subjects. And sure enough, Thomas Eshuis does have an account claiming to be a Historian at Groningen University, and is offering his services on Research gates website

Thomas Eshuis
University of Groningen | RUG · Department of History https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Eshuis

I went to the official site of Grongon University, just to get some definitive proof for what i already knew, and i got it in seconds

Your search did not match any documents.
If you are looking for a staff member (and you are not sure how his/her name is spelled), please contact the switchboard, 050-363 9111.

You can also search for names by department if you know where the staff member you are looking for works. https://www.rug.nl/staff/?currentPage=1 ... 1&count=10

Just to be sure, i searched through every single member of staff in Groningen University History departments, and there are many, but no Thomas Eshuis
https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/how-to-find ... ne=History

The only thing i could find, that was connected to Thomas Eshuis, was a bit of schoo homework he done. A Jew for a Jew
https://prezi.com/rl-qkdifzidv/the-use- ... -messages/

And somewhere else where he was arguing that he would date a transgender male (which is ok, no problem)

Sure I would date a transgendered person, of either sex/gender.
I'm primarily attracted to a persons personality, not their bits. https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... 7#13806325

Quite open minded actually, if you ask me.
But no, he is not a lecturer at Groningen University in Holland, as he claims.
This is a fake online Psuedonym he has created for himself, and i spotted it the second he replied to my first post.
He is barely out of pre-pubency.

I cannot comment on how many others on here are involved in his little game.

But no Thomas. I am not beating my wife.
Nor am i creating fake online Psuedonyms as part of some online role playing game.

I also think you need to remove your profile at research gate Thomas, because that is not just fantasy role play. That is "fraud".

Thanks

I think your time would be better spent reading a history book.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Ironclad » Mar 16, 2020 11:25 pm

laklak wrote:
BlackBart wrote:That Grey hasn't got a winky.

Retractable, like that red rocket thing dogs have.
:tehe:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Ironclad » Mar 16, 2020 11:28 pm

felltoearth wrote:Hey everyone! My real name isn’t felltoearth. Just so you know.
After all these years.. the lies, the damn lies!
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Mar 16, 2020 11:35 pm

felltoearth wrote:Hey everyone! My real name isn’t felltoearth. Just so you know.

Our marriage really was a sham.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#59  Postby scott1328 » Mar 16, 2020 11:42 pm

is this what used to be called doxing? can we get this person removed now?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Hermit » Mar 17, 2020 12:45 am

Nevets wrote:Thomas Eshuis ... is not a lecturer at Groningen University in Holland, as he claims.

In principle there is nothing wrong with checking the truth of what forum members claim to be, or to have done. At least I don't regard it as doxxing. One has to be careful about what forum members claim to be and to have done, though. So, Nevets, let's have a look at what Thomas Eshuis claims to be and to have done, shall we? OK, here we go:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:I've a bachelors degree in history, am finishing my Masters and have already taught for three years.

Do you see anything about him claiming to be, or have been, a lecturer at Groningen University? Me neither. All I see is that he has completed a bachelors degree in history, is in the process of finishing is Masters and has already taught for three years. Now, it is not uncommon at all for postgraduates to teach as tutors at universities they are studying for a postgraduate degree. It's usually a part-time job and tutors are rarely, if ever, listed among staff. What is more, Thomas Eshuis has not even claimed to have taught at the university he is a member of as a postgraduate student. He could be teaching independently, which would keep him completely off the books. In Germany a lot of postgraduate students do that. They are known as Privatdozenten. There could well be a similar tradition in the Netherlands.

I think you ought to begin to learn to read what is written sometime soon.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to History