Moses in history

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Moses in history

#1  Postby Launion » Jun 20, 2010 7:14 am

Is there any known study or record of Moses meetings with the Lord - As it would be nice to have some corroborating evidence ( a video would be good) . So does anyone know of any readable studies that attempt to validate the Life of Moses . If his meeting and subsequent receipt of the ten commandments could be proved or disproved that would give the Old Testament its true place in history ..
Failure is never a fatal and success is never a final.-- then Heaven help us - said the parachutist to the BASE jumper-
groucho says "I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBERr "
Launion

Name: simon bert

Philippines (ph)
Print view this post

Re: Moses in history

#2  Postby kiore » Jun 20, 2010 7:33 am

Video footage is sadly lacking from most of the historical record. :whistle:
Unless of course you are referring to Charlton Heston's portrayal of the said figure.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#3  Postby Launion » Jun 21, 2010 7:37 am

I am trying to ascertain if any learned person had been able to publish a debunkle of the story of Moses and his meetings and conversations with the Lord. That is one that might not be too high in academic aloofness and brilliance but capable of appealing to the masses and gaining some traction with godbotherers . Because if the story of Moses collapses then there is not much left in the storyline ..
Failure is never a fatal and success is never a final.-- then Heaven help us - said the parachutist to the BASE jumper-
groucho says "I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBERr "
Launion

Name: simon bert

Philippines (ph)
Print view this post

#4  Postby z8000783 » Jun 21, 2010 7:53 am

That's going to be tricky isn't it.

A man goes up a mountain on his own, talks to god then comes back with some tablets of stone which are then destroyed.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Leonidas » Jul 21, 2010 10:54 pm

When Egyptian Hieroglyphs were translated it was discovered that Moses was an ancient Egyptian name. The famous Egyptian Pharaoh Ramesses was in fact Ra-Moses (Ra was the Egyptian Sun god). There were other Pharaohs called Thoth-Moses (Thoth, another god) and Amon-Moses (Amon, another God, you get the picture). It doesn't prove that the Moses of the Bible existed of course but if he did exist then his original name might not have simply been Moses.

Ancient writings discovered in what is now Iraq tell of a baby prince being placed in a basket in the river and later discovered... This was a man called Sargon, King of Akkad. Sargon means 'true king' I believe so the story might have originated as a tale to show that an otherwise unknown usurper was really the true king, honest.

Lots of myths in the Bible but some history as well. Some of it is thoroughly mixed together but clearly there are a lot of mythic supernatural events attributed to Moses.
Leonidas

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Rome Existed » Jul 22, 2010 7:26 pm

I thought the big one was that there is no evidence of Jews being slaves in Egypt?
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Tbickle » Jul 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Launion wrote:I am trying to ascertain if any learned person had been able to publish a debunkle of the story of Moses and his meetings and conversations with the Lord.

Well, in terms of his meetings with him during the 40 years of wandering the desert, there is no archeological record of this ever taking place. And as Rome Existed stated above this, there is no evidence to even show that Jews were ever slaves of the Egyptians which would give no credence to even the formation of this story.

That is one that might not be too high in academic aloofness and brilliance but capable of appealing to the masses and gaining some traction with godbotherers . Because if the story of Moses collapses then there is not much left in the storyline ..

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. If the story of Genesis were shown to be nothing but a steaming pile of...mythology (which it has) it should invalidate the entire story of the God creating the universe, people in his image, the creation of sin, etc. but it doesn't seem to have stopped too many.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Ubjon » Jul 22, 2010 7:51 pm

z8000783 wrote:That's going to be tricky isn't it.

A man goes up a mountain on his own, talks to god then comes back with some tablets of stone which are then destroyed.

John

Reminds me of mormonism
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby HughMcB » Jul 22, 2010 8:08 pm

I'm sorry to laugh but is this a joke? :lol:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Leonidas » Jul 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Rome Existed wrote:
I thought the big one was that there is no evidence of Jews being slaves in Egypt?

I think the most that can be surmised is that perhaps a group of nomads left 'bondage' in Egypt at some time and their descendants inherited a tradition which was passed onto the later Jews. Bondage would cover many possibilities including the nomads being required to work on construction projects. A corvee system of forced labour as a form of taxation was common in ancient times.

Certainly I don't think there was anything like the later jewish religion and people until much much later. It is also pretty certain that the inhabitants of the later Israel were mostly descended from people who had been there for a long time (i.e. Canaanites).

All we can say for sure is that such nomad groups probably migrated into and out of Egypt many, many times throughout history without there being any record of it. Nomad peoples also from time to time crossed the Jordan to settle in what became known as Israel amongst the people already there and that sometimes they were not welcome so there was war.

Nothing implausible about that any more than the story of a Greek attack on Troy is implausible. It is the embelishments regarding Zeus, Athena, Aphrodite etc that are clearly non-historical in the Iliad. The burning bush etc is in the same category in the story of Moses. Just as nobody believes that Achilles really spoke to Athena I don't think Moses spoke to God. Of course a man called Moses might have claimed to have spoken to God.
Leonidas

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Berthold » Aug 19, 2010 1:42 pm

John

Didn't he allegedly go a second time to receive new tablets which were then kept in the ark of the covenant?

(and don't some Ethiopians claim they have them?)
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#12  Postby NamelessFaceless » Aug 19, 2010 1:48 pm

:popcorn:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Tbickle » Aug 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Berthold wrote:

John

Didn't he allegedly go a second time to receive new tablets which were then kept in the ark of the covenant?

Yes, when Moses descended he had found that his people had created a golden calf for use in sacrifices to God, in a hissy fit, he threw the stones down and broke them. He then had to go back up the hill and ask God politely for a new set and most likely had to sit in the naughty chair for some time.

It is claimed that they are located in a few places, but there isn't any solid evidence.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Print view this post

#14  Postby z8000783 » Aug 19, 2010 2:50 pm

Berthold wrote:

John

So he couldn't remember them from the first visit?

Hey ho, prophets aren't what they used to be.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby kiore » Aug 19, 2010 2:55 pm

Have just recently had the 'true' story of Prophet Moses explained to me by a colleague, apparently this Moses hit his walking stick on the Red Sea (no surprises here) the sea opened up (hmmm) and all the Muslims walked across with dry feet and the sea came back and drowned the Egyptians.. Wait, all the whats? Unfortunately I automatically responded without thinking, "you mean all the Israelites?" Stony stares all around the room, no, OK sorry, yes so all the Muslims followed Moses and the nasty Egyptians died.. A much more popular version in northern Sudan. :whistle:
Maybe a result of making koranic studies 50% of the curriculum for all university courses.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#16  Postby Tbickle » Aug 19, 2010 2:56 pm

So, my knowledge is somewhat limited here. Do we actually know what was written on the first set of tablets?
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Print view this post

#17  Postby kiore » Aug 19, 2010 3:04 pm

Tbickle wrote:So, my knowledge is somewhat limited here. Do we actually know what was written on the first set of tablets?

Pfizer on one side 100 on the other blue in colour.

Sorry, the laws of god for the people to live by in the promised land.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#18  Postby Tbickle » Aug 19, 2010 3:18 pm

kiore wrote:
Tbickle wrote:So, my knowledge is somewhat limited here. Do we actually know what was written on the first set of tablets?

Pfizer on one side 100 on the other blue in colour.

Sorry, the laws of god for the people to live by in the promised land.

:lol:

I know what was supposed to be written on them, but I wonder if we actually know for sure. This is assuming that the story actually happened in some form.

I find it interesting that the tablets were brought down and then broken due to a graven image. The second set is brought down and the first commandment includes mention of no graven images.
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Print view this post

#19  Postby kiore » Aug 19, 2010 3:22 pm

I find it interesting that the tablets were brought down and then broken due to a graven image. The second set is brought down and the first commandment includes mention of no graven images.

Yes indeed a revised edition from the omniscient to deal with unforeseen circumstances.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#20  Postby z8000783 » Aug 19, 2010 3:29 pm

Still not like a signed First Edition though.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to History