New evidence of Viking life in America?

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: New evidence of Viking life in America?

#101  Postby Ravenloonatikk » Apr 09, 2016 2:16 am

No particular need to carry ore https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_iron

If there's one thing Newfoundland has in abundance, it's Bogs.
Ravenloonatikk

Name: Frank Hardy

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby Macdoc » Apr 09, 2016 4:36 am

nice find
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 09, 2016 3:11 pm

I can understand carrying iron as ballast but why carry rock?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#104  Postby kiore » Apr 09, 2016 7:47 pm

Onyx8 wrote:I can understand carrying iron as ballast but why carry rock?

I don't know, maybe iron too valuable by weight, maybe it was transported to an easier processing area this way, as I noted somewhere with plenty of fuel. Hopefully the examination of this site will give some answers to that.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#105  Postby felltoearth » Apr 09, 2016 8:18 pm

This article is good.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/160331-viking-discovery-north-america-canada-archaeology/

The Stuff of Legends

Was Point Rosee a Viking outpost a thousand or so years ago? The evidence thus far is promising. The turf structure that partially surrounds the hearth is nothing like the shelters built by indigenous peoples who lived in Newfoundland at the time, nor by Basque fishermen and whalers who arrived in the 16th century. And, while iron slag may be fairly generic, “there aren’t any known cultures—prehistoric or modern—that would have been mining and roasting bog iron ore in Newfoundland other than the Norse,” says Bolender.

Very few artifacts have been found at Point Rosee, but that’s actually a good sign. Most Norse possessions haven’t preserved well; they were typically made from wood, which decayed, or iron, which either decayed or was melted down to make something else. Archaeologists conducted seven excavations at L’Anse aux Meadows, from 1961 to 1968, before they had sufficient evidence to confirm it was a Norse outpost. And even then they found only a handful of personal items, such as a bronze pin, a needle hone, and a stone lamp. If the archaeologists had found many artifacts at Point Rosee, then it probably wouldn’t be a Viking site.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Veida » Apr 09, 2016 8:51 pm

I didn't realize the made iron at L'Anse aux Meadows before.

Why are we arguing about whether vikings made iron when we know they did it at L'Anse aux Meadows?
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#107  Postby felltoearth » Apr 09, 2016 9:48 pm

Veida wrote:I didn't realize the made iron at L'Anse aux Meadows before.

Why are we arguing about whether vikings made iron when we know they did it at L'Anse aux Meadows?

Only Jamest is. Always fighting the righteous fight for truth.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#108  Postby jamest » Apr 09, 2016 10:10 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Veida wrote:I didn't realize the made iron at L'Anse aux Meadows before.

Only Jamest is. Always fighting the righteous fight for truth.

I'm not denying that vikings made iron. In fact, I'm not denying anything. I just questioned whether the researchers had sufficient evidence yet to prove that there were vikings at the place mentioned in the OP, since they seem to think that they do.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Macdoc » Apr 10, 2016 4:06 am

This is really early.... Parcak is uncovering incredible new a missing ancient sites including the lighthouse at the Roman harbor.

Sarah Parcak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Parcak
Sarah Helen Parcak is an American archaeologist, Egyptologist, and remote sensing ... The UAB team announced that they had discovered 17 pyramids, more than ... She was the focus of "Rome's Lost Empire", a TV documentary by Dan Snow, ... including the arena at Portus, the lighthouse and a canal to Rome beside the

She's the 2016 Ted Prize winner
2016 TED Prize winner | Prize-winning wishes | TED Prize ...
https://www.ted.com/participate/ted-pri ... rah-parcak
It would look something like Global Xplorer, the citizen science-based game that Sarah Parcak will launch later this year. ..

What she is doing is to combine space images, lidar and archeology to literally transform the discipline.

Finding the site is just the beginning.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#110  Postby tuco » Apr 10, 2016 4:24 am

Indeed, such techniques/technologies could help archaeology significantly as it did in this case. Perhaps even much older sites could be found, for example, from early Hominini outside of caves?
tuco

Print view this post

#111  Postby Macdoc » Apr 10, 2016 4:28 am

That's a bit of a stretch for this technology.
I just read Nat'L Geo and this was definitely a bog iron site and no later European would bother with the effort of bog iron.
The site already has bog iron smelting evidence.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#112  Postby tuco » Apr 10, 2016 5:20 am

Perhaps stretching, still

---
Broadening traditional satellite archaeology, namely research dealing with more
historical periods, will facilitate its application in other areas of archaeology and anthro-
pology (Couzy 1985; Kruckman 1987; Davenport 2001). For example, inOlduvai Gorge
(Figure 9-1), archaeologists used GPS points to map layers of ash sediment, using geo-
logical strata to trace associated hominid remains deposited throughout the landscape
(Ebert and Blumenschine 1999). If there are consistencies in hominid deposition layers,
then satellites should be able to detect similar spectral signatures elsewhere in land-
scapes revealing additional hominid deposition layers. Digital elevation models would
help physical anthropologists better map such landscapes. Satellite imagery can also
detect past water sources, which in turn could yield evidence for adjacent early human
activity. Similar approaches could be attempted for paleontology, where dinosaur bones
appear in specific geological strata (Figure 9-2).

https://archive.org/stream/SatelliteRem ... C_djvu.txt
---

its fascinating what tech can do.
tuco

Print view this post

Previous

Return to History