Roman Ancient History

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Roman Ancient History

#41  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » Mar 31, 2022 10:41 am

Romans were incredible engineers - they were able to build quality durable roads (and road infrastructure like bridges) long before the technological facilites of second industrial revolution.

Praecepta Hadrianina vitae iucundae sunt haec: cervesiam frigidam bibere, cannabim sativam nonnumquam fumere, amicos diligere, inimicis digitum medium ostendere, tesseras L-nummarias impendere, feleculas delicatius tractare, mammas sugere.
Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Bestiola » Mar 31, 2022 10:48 am

:popcorn:
VAE VICTIS Motherf*ckers
Bestiola

Female

Print view this post

#43  Postby Fredericus » Mar 31, 2022 8:33 pm

The old Romans - such sensible people, driving on the left hand side of the road. And I expect pot holes were unknown to them.
Feliciores fimus vivendo quiete
Gegen Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens (Schiller)
Fredericus

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » Mar 31, 2022 8:47 pm

Fredericus wrote:The old Romans - such sensible people, driving on the left hand side of the road. And I expect pot holes were unknown to them.

I suspect not (mostly because chief engineer and the building crew put their asses at stake - literally - Sloppy job = crucifiction :o )
Btw, I posted this video because a dear buddy of mine posted earlier in other forum an article about roman engineering in Netherlands. :smoke:
Praecepta Hadrianina vitae iucundae sunt haec: cervesiam frigidam bibere, cannabim sativam nonnumquam fumere, amicos diligere, inimicis digitum medium ostendere, tesseras L-nummarias impendere, feleculas delicatius tractare, mammas sugere.
Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » Mar 31, 2022 8:50 pm

Romans incorporated a clever solution called the arch - which allowed them to construct complex bridges and high buildings (weight distribution)

Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » Mar 31, 2022 8:55 pm

Romans were able to produce durable and weather resistant concrete (solution to that was mixing vulcanic ash with gorunded lime and seawater)

Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to History