The Coming War on China

Film by John Pilger

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

The Coming War on China

#1  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 16, 2020 11:41 am

Sorry if this has been posted before. I've tried a search, and didn't find it.

This... Really pisses me off.

Who, in their right mind, tests hydrogen bombs on innocent people every day for 12 years?
Were these people true Christians? Honestly? Shame on the USA. Yes yes, it happened years ago but the effects are still ongoing.

Those tests, are an example of really bad science. No commandment in the bible says 'go forth and test bombs on people'. Grrr. :shock:

Pretty bad. But, hey, forgive and forget, I guess.

Here's at least one guy who regrets a few things from that era. 'We were acting was war criminals' - Robert Mcnamara.

Is there any other country which has done this crap to others? One could probably argue that Germany did (as described in the documentary series 'Hunting Hitler')

The ONLY thing which can be seen as a 'positive', is that the USA has more nukes than any country and basically holds peace? Aaaadn Idk if that's even true. So, was it worth it? :drunk:

Also, somewhere in the Billy Connolly Tours America series, he visits the place where they developed the bombs. Even the inventors of the thing, voted against actually using them. So, someone else decided to use them. I could search for that video, it might be on YouTube, idk yet.

:oops:

A song, to cheer me up...

-"All men may be cremated equal."
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The Coming War on China

#2  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jun 16, 2020 11:54 am

You do know that several countries tested atomic/hydrogen bombs in the open air, right?

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Fenrir » Jun 16, 2020 12:39 pm

Those tests, are an example of really bad science.

Learning what science is would probably be a good move right about now.

No commandment in the bible says 'go forth and test bombs on people'. Grrr.

No commandment in the bible says 'wash your hands and you won't get sick so much' either.

Bible god is quite happy to have the children of his enemies bashed to death on rocks though so I'm guessing a few bombs here and there wouldn't bother him too much.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#4  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 16, 2020 2:01 pm

Yes, I am aware that "tested atomic/hydrogen bombs in the open air"

Completely different, than on humans - for 12 years. Can't compare. Sorrrrryyy.
Bible God / rocks... Again, completely different. And apparently, God does get angry. If he or she does exist - I reckon he or she would not approve. But if you believe that - wow. Maybe you missed certain bits?
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#5  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jun 16, 2020 2:45 pm

JustStarDust,

Apparently you don’t realize that EVERY open air test was a test on EVERY living thing on the planet. I was waxing my car in western Oregon “back in the day” and it came a very light rain, which helped. Trouble is the Chinese had detonated an open air bomb and this rain was fairly radioactive as a result. Milk had to be dumped for a couple weeks. So it appears you want to cherry pick what is considered “on humans”. Do we want to talk about French open air tests, and the humans directly effected?

Can’t compare? According to you. Good thing I lived through those days to know for a fact your position is shit.

Note how you don’t address the fact that the US led the movement to end nuclear testing altogether.

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Fenrir » Jun 16, 2020 2:58 pm

Ok. Just as well then that decent non-chinese countries never ever tested nuclear weapons on people in isolated places like Maralinga. That would never do, who would you demonise then?
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#7  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 16, 2020 3:18 pm

Sorry if you can't see the obvious difference.

I am aware of the Maralinga tests. Horrible, yes. Still didn't happen foe 12 years. Did you guys watch the thing, or knee jerk react?

And how is a 'test', not a scientific one? Let's be rational here, right?
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby laklak » Jun 16, 2020 3:26 pm

We detonated a hydrogen bomb every day for 12 years? That's a lot of hydrogen bombs.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jun 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Knee jerk. It’s my go-to method of getting through life. That started when they made us all walk home from school (5th grade at the time) after simulated nuclear attack during the Cuban missile criss. Living within 50-60 air miles from the Hanford Nuclear Reservation at the time might have played into this civil defense drill. The power was cut. No radio/TV even with batteries. No traffic of any kind. They even set off a fake nuke that flashed the entire Yakima valley in east central Washington state. So, no, I cannot be bothered to give this topic any reflective thought whatsoever. It’s not like I grew up with some Russian ICBM targeted on my bedroom. Ground zero would have been a few miles away.

Maybe assuming the reason for the reaction of others to your position isn’t wise. Consider that some of us here just might know enough about the topic to see beyond a one-sided condemnation. Living through the times under discussion might provide some of us insight you don’t have. So chill with the accusations. It will not end well for you.

What I do know is that an open air nuclear detonation in China caused a fallout event on the west coast of North America. Whether you can admit it or not every single open air test was a test on the entire biosphere. All of them. Just because some people were closer than others doesn’t mean much when radioactive fallout can cross oceans.

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Blackadder » Jun 17, 2020 1:35 pm

I stopped reading at “John Pilger”.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby laklak » Jun 17, 2020 2:46 pm

Attachments
so it begins.png
so it begins.png (132.32 KiB) Viewed 561 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby aufbahrung » Jun 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Need foglights. I'm crun=mple.

Finnigans Wake needed to survive this coming storm in a small worlds teacup with a chance to be alive at the end....
ship struck the rocks yesterday, and the worst is yet to be....
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Hermit » Jun 17, 2020 5:35 pm

laklak wrote:We detonated a hydrogen bomb every day for 12 years? That's a lot of hydrogen bombs.

JustStarDust is not the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer. Pilger equated the total output of US atomic bomb tests as the equivalent of exploding one Hiroshima sized bomb every day for 12 years. In comparison the USSR's Tsar bomba was equivalent to 1200 days' worth of that.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Jun 17, 2020 6:29 pm

theropod_V_2.0 wrote: Living through the times under discussion might provide some of us insight you don’t have. So chill with the accusations. It will not end well for you.

I remember it well. My grandparents built a fallout shelter in the back yard in Bradenton, Florida, just across Tampa Bay from McDill Air Force Base, which was a SAC base with B-47 squadrons. Definite first strike target. We lived in Dover, Delaware, a few miles from Dover AFB, so also first strike target. We had weekly "duck and cover" drills at school, where we had to get under our desks. Lol, like that was going to help. I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis vividly, by then we'd moved to Bangkok, I'd have been 7 at the time. I remember my Mom and Dad worrying about being in Thailand if the shit hit the fan, and whether they should move us back to the States.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jun 17, 2020 9:22 pm

Ah, the fun times...

My dad was the lead foreman of the carpentry work involving concrete forming for the first production sized nuclear reactor in the world. He was in charge of making sure all the steel and pipes were right before final inspection and hundreds of cubic yards of on-site mixed concrete was poured. He put in several 24 hour shifts to make sure there was enough of the “good stuff” to help end WW2. It’s a bloody wonder we got past those days.

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Fallible » Jun 18, 2020 2:04 pm

‘Those days’ keep coming around as well. As a child of the 80s, I remember public information films about how leaning a mattress or a door up against an interior wall would provide valuable shelter in the event of a nuclear explosion. I remember drills at school. Plus ça change...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Evolving » Jun 18, 2020 2:49 pm

What was that animated feature film from around then, about an elderly couple in the UK who initially survive the nuclear attack by following that sort of advice, but over the course of the film it becomes apparent that they’d have been better off dying in it, like everyone else?
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Evolving » Jun 18, 2020 2:50 pm

Ah: When the Wind Blows.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#19  Postby aufbahrung » Jun 18, 2020 3:10 pm

I think existential angst brings the best out of culture, arts music and so forth, so there is a silver lining. Survived the 50s despite dozens of drop tests above ground. Point is to keep the score low for nukes until the hot heads are all dead.
ship struck the rocks yesterday, and the worst is yet to be....
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby surreptitious57 » Jun 18, 2020 4:41 pm

There was a government information booklet called Protect And Survive delivered to every home
There was also The War Game which was subsequently banned as it was considered too dangerous
But there were special screenings of it by CND and I went to one of them and it was just ridiculous
Taking shelter under a mattress under the stairs is not remotely effective against radiation exposure
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Next

Return to History