Thoughts on Joan of Arc's predictions?

Wondering about your thoughts on JOA's predictions of the future that came true.

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Thoughts on Joan of Arc's predictions?

#1  Postby ambivalentskeptic » Oct 14, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm curious to hear other skeptics' thoughts and advice on something. Most of what I know about the world suggests to me that it's unlikely there are any gods or other supernatural beings who intervene in our world, but of course I'm open to changing my mind with sufficient evidence. One of the few things that makes me wonder is Joan of Arc and the predictions she apparently made that came true, as described under "Jehanne's Prophecies" at http://www.stjoan-center.com/topics/jgrundy.html and under "Other Prophocies" at http://saint-joan-of-arc.com/prophecies.htm.

I'm particularly puzzled about her predicting she'd be captured by midsummer day (June 24) of the next year which came true when she was captured in next year's May and her accurate prediction of getting the Dauphin crowned in the coming summer. Does anyone have any guesses for non-supernatural ways she could have predicted these things? If we couldn't think of a way, do you think it'd be rational to consider a supernatural explanation, or just to conclude that there's probably a natural one that we haven't figured out?
ambivalentskeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Thoughts on Joan of Arc's predictions?

#2  Postby Alan B » Oct 15, 2018 12:03 pm

People can make intelligent guesses or predictions based on the knowledge available to them. Some work, some don't. It depends how clever (or even 'lucky') a person is. JOA was obviously not a stupid person but even such a person as she, could make unwise decisions.
People down the ages have used the idea of a God (or gods) to justify their actions to the gullible populace thereby invoking something 'supernatural'. And when a predicted 'something' happens, the gullible will say 'Goddit'.
The only rational part is that of the perpetrator who decides to use a fictional 'supernatural deity' to further their own ends.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Hermit » Oct 15, 2018 12:16 pm

ambivalentskeptic wrote:I'm particularly puzzled about her predicting she'd be captured by midsummer day (June 24) of the next year which came true when she was captured in next year's May and her accurate prediction of getting the Dauphin crowned in the coming summer. Does anyone have any guesses for non-supernatural ways she could have predicted these things?

Jehanne d'Arc had hundreds of visions. If I were to wonder about intervention of some putative supernatural power I'd be more inclined to suspect interference if not a single one of them turned out to come true.

By the way, what is an "ambivalentskeptic"? Is that someone who is always a sceptic, except when he is not? Asking because I have a vision of you as a believer in the existence of some supernatural power who pretends to be a sceptic.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Oct 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Yeah. I forgot about the 'hundreds of visions'. If even one of then came true, it would be case of 'Goddit' as far as the locals were concerned.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby zulumoose » Oct 15, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm particularly puzzled about her predicting she'd be captured by midsummer day (June 24) of the next year which came true when she was captured in next year's May

So she predicted something not at all unlikely would happen within a year or so and it did.
Doesn't sound like compelling evidence for the supernatural to me, in fact I wouldn't even go so far as to say it was puzzling at all.

If I predicted that my 4 year old car would break down within a year or so, would that be more or less likely than her capture, and what supernatural agency would be more believable to you if it did break down with only a month to go?
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Oct 15, 2018 3:20 pm

I predict a riot.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby BlackBart » Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Yes, but could Joan Of Arc choke a Jock with her thighs? :ask:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby newolder » Oct 15, 2018 5:14 pm

In what year between 1412 and 1431 was the summer solstice on June 24th?

I'm aware that a pope (Gregory) shifted the calendar 10 days forwards in 1582 but the drift of 0.0075 days per year for 150-odd years only gets 1-ish more day to account for. :scratch:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby jamest » Oct 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Midsummer's day is not on the same day as the summer solstice. Indeed, midsummer's day this year was on June 24th.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby newolder » Oct 16, 2018 2:45 pm

In England, Midsummer Day falls on Sunday June 24, 2018, the feast of St John the Baptist.

I was unaware that Midsummer was a product of religious insanity. My bad.
Still, the Gregorian shift will have knackered that too, wouldn't it? :ask:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby jamest » Oct 16, 2018 2:51 pm

newolder wrote:
In England, Midsummer Day falls on Sunday June 24, 2018, the feast of St John the Baptist.

I was unaware that Midsummer was a product of religious insanity. My bad.
Still, the Gregorian shift will have knackered that too, wouldn't it? :ask:

Yes, though I'm assuming that historians probably use today's correct dates when referencing events prior to the 16th century calendar changes?
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby newolder » Oct 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Well here we are in October (8-ber) and it's the 10th month of 2018. Time for a new calendar with some logic (i.e. none of the various gods) behind it, maybe?
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby jamest » Oct 16, 2018 2:55 pm

newolder wrote:Well here we are in October (8-ber) and it's the 10th month of 2018. Time for a new calendar with some logic (i.e. none of the various gods) behind it, maybe?

Well, I'm not arsed so be my guest. ;)

eta: though think of all the astrologers that you'll put out of a job.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby newolder » Oct 16, 2018 2:58 pm

There are more bonuses than I first imagined.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Fallible » Oct 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Now I know how Joan of Arc felt as the flames rose to her roman nose and her Walkman started to melt.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby newolder » Oct 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Yes, I've heard tell that folk sometimes ask, "What's that smell?" as they fade away... I'll retire to may cot for tea & caek, now. Wake me up on the 5th of Sliptember, the Oleth of Arg. ZZzzzz...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby laklak » Oct 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Oooo that smell. Can't you smell that smell? Oooo that smell. The smell that surrounds youuuuuuu.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby ambivalentskeptic » Nov 17, 2018 4:08 am

zulumoose wrote:So she predicted something not at all unlikely would happen within a year or so and it did.
Doesn't sound like compelling evidence for the supernatural to me, in fact I wouldn't even go so far as to say it was puzzling at all.

If I predicted that my 4 year old car would break down within a year or so, would that be more or less likely than her capture, and what supernatural agency would be more believable to you if it did break down with only a month to go?

Yeah, that was my thought to. I was puzzled because I had serious doubts about my own judgement, so I wanted to double-check if that thought made sense to other people. What do you make of her accurately predicting how soon she’d get the Dauphin crowned?

BlackBart wrote:Yes, but could Joan Of Arc choke a Jock with her thighs? :ask:

laklak wrote:Oooo that smell. Can't you smell that smell? Oooo that smell. The smell that surrounds youuuuuuu.

Huh? Are these references to something I’m not familiar with?

Fallible wrote:Now I know how Joan of Arc felt as the flames rose to her roman nose and her Walkman started to melt.

How?

Hermit wrote:Jehanne d'Arc had hundreds of visions. If I were to wonder about intervention of some putative supernatural power I'd be more inclined to suspect interference if not a single one of them turned out to come true.

Huh, I hadn't thought of it that way. Interesting.

Hermit wrote:By the way, what is an "ambivalentskeptic"? Is that someone who is always a sceptic, except when he is not? Asking because I have a vision of you as a believer in the existence of some supernatural power who pretends to be a sceptic.

Uh.....a skeptic who's ambivalent about whether he's good at being a skeptic? A skeptic who's ambivalent about whether the conclusions he's drawn are rational? A skeptic who's ambivalent about whether he should be a skeptic? I don't think I was giving the name much thought when I picked it beyond "what sounds distinctive enough that I'll remember it?"
ambivalentskeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 17, 2018 7:21 am

ambivalentskeptic wrote:I was puzzled because I had serious doubts about my own judgement, so I wanted to double-check if that thought made sense to other people. What do you make of her accurately predicting how soon she’d get the Dauphin crowned?

ambivalentskeptic wrote:
BlackBart wrote:Yes, but could Joan Of Arc choke a Jock with her thighs? :ask:

laklak wrote:Oooo that smell. Can't you smell that smell? Oooo that smell. The smell that surrounds youuuuuuu.

Huh? Are these references to something I’m not familiar with?

You self-evidently have access to the internet. Think of the sheer power that lies at your fingertips. My pet theory is that it was those thighs that led to the downfall of Joan of Arc. There's enough research for you to explore to last you a lifetime. Don't let all that ambivalence get in your way.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Fallible » Nov 17, 2018 8:19 am

ambivalentskeptic wrote:

Fallible wrote:Now I know how Joan of Arc felt as the flames rose to her roman nose and her Walkman started to melt.

How?

Bigmouth strikes again...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to History