Two thousand US Army veterans lobotomized

...for depression, psychosis, schizophrenia... and gayness.

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Two thousand US Army veterans lobotomized

#1  Postby Mike_L » Dec 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Report: VA lobotomized 2,000 disturbed veterans

The U.S. government lobotomized roughly 2,000 mentally ill veterans — and likely hundreds more — during and after World War II, according to a cache of forgotten memos, letters and government reports unearthed by The Wall Street Journal.

“They got the notion they were going to come to give me a lobotomy,” Roman Tritz, a World War II bomber pilot, told the newspaper in a report published Wednesday. “To hell with them.”

Tritz said the orderlies at the veterans hospital pinned him to the floor, and he initially fought them off. A few weeks later, just before his 30th birthday, he was lobotomized.

Besieged by psychologically damaged troops returning from the battlefields of North Africa, Europe and the Pacific, the Veterans Administration performed the brain-altering operation on former servicemen it diagnosed as depressives, psychotics and schizophrenics, and occasionally on people identified as homosexuals, according to the report.
CONTINUED
Full article at:
http://www.armytimes.com/article/20131211/NEWS/312110013/Report-VA-lobotomized-2-000-disturbed-veterans
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

Re: Two thousand US Army veterans lobotomized

#2  Postby DougC » Dec 14, 2013 8:45 pm

:shock: :nono:
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Two thousand US Army veterans lobotomized

#3  Postby Aern Rakesh » Dec 14, 2013 9:18 pm

I remember seeing a programme about battle shock, or as it is known now, PTSD. It amazes me that *everyone* who is in a war doesn't have it. I had it after four particularly stressful months...it was triggered a few months later (can't remember the trigger). In fact, because it was delayed, I thought I was having a heart attack. But it was just a panic attack, which was part of the PTSD.

It's appalling that people who do break down during/after being in the service are then diagnosed as insane (although, odds are a few do have mental health issues).

Yeah, they were lobotomized in this instance, how many were shot in Europe for 'deserting'?
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to History