When was the wheelbarrow invented in Europe?

Discussion and analysis of past events and their causes and effects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

When was the wheelbarrow invented in Europe?

#1  Postby quas » Nov 11, 2018 2:13 pm

The current historical consensus is that, "The first wheelbarrow in Europe appeared sometime between 1170 and 1250."

Whereas the usage of chariots was already prevalent much earlier, historians say that there's evidence of chariots/wheeled carts use as early as 4th millenium BC when the humans first domesticated horses.

So why did it take so long (5000 years!) for people who already knew how to use wheeled carriages to invent the wheelbarrow?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelbarrow
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariot
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: When was the wheelbarrow invented in Europe?

#2  Postby newolder » Nov 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Maybe the consensus is in error? :dunno: There is mention of wheelbarrows in Ancient Greece (and China) at this pinterest page.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 11, 2018 3:02 pm

If it didn't exist, presumably they had something that did the same job equally well.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby newolder » Nov 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Even Fred had one, as this early daguerreotype shows:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 11, 2018 3:16 pm

quas wrote:The current historical consensus is that, "The first wheelbarrow in Europe appeared sometime between 1170 and 1250."

Whereas the usage of chariots was already prevalent much earlier, historians say that there's evidence of chariots/wheeled carts use as early as 4th millenium BC when the humans first domesticated horses.

So why did it take so long (5000 years!) for people who already knew how to use wheeled carriages to invent the wheelbarrow?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelbarrow
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariot

We don't know whether they did or did not use them before 1170, it's just that we have no direct evidence of their usage before that.
Also chariots are distinct from wheelbarrows, being that
a. They're propelled by horses, not manpower.
b. used for speed and warfare, not just transportation of goods.
c. dual, rather than solo wheeled.
Besides, you're begging the question that they were not invented, rather than just no considered practical.
Also, from your link:
However, Lewis proposes that the wheelbarrow could have also existed in ancient Greece.[9][22] Based on the Eleusis list, Lewis states that it is possible that wheelbarrows were used on Greek construction sites, but admits that archaeological evidence for the wheelbarrow in ancient farming and mining is absent.[9] He surmised that wheelbarrows were not uncommon on Greek construction sites for carrying moderately light loads. He speculates the possibility of wheelbarrows in the Roman Empire and the later Eastern Roman, or Byzantine Empire, although Lewis concludes that the evidence is scarce, and that "most of this scenario, perforce, is pure speculation."[23] The 4th century Historia Augusta reports emperor Elagabalus to have used a wheelbarrow (Latin: pabillus from pabo, one-wheeled vehicle[24][25]) to transport women in his frivolous games at court.[26] While the present evidence does not indicate any use of wheelbarrows into medieval times, the question of continuity in the Byzantine Empire is still open, due to a lack of research yet.[9] Currently, there is no archaeological evidence for the wheelbarrow in ancient Greece and Rome.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Alan B » Nov 11, 2018 5:24 pm

What did we use when building early cathedrals and forts, etc.? Are there any records?

It would seem strange if a stonemason didn't have some sort of wheeled conveyance.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Alan B wrote:What did we use when building early cathedrals and forts, etc.? Are there any records?

It would seem strange if a stonemason didn't have some sort of wheeled conveyance.

Cathedrals (as in the large elaborate structures) did not appear until the end of the High-, start of the Late medieval period.Other than that horse carts were available
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Fallible » Nov 11, 2018 10:00 pm

First 'how do you heat where you live', now 'when was the wheelbarrow invented in Europe?" Tune in tomorrow for 'how often do you move your bowels, and what colour is your bathroom suite? Did you do the grouting yourself, and if so, what did you apply it with, how do you keep it clean and did you go for the white or the grey?'
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 11, 2018 10:46 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Alan B wrote:What did we use when building early cathedrals and forts, etc.? Are there any records?

Cathedrals (as in the large elaborate structures) did not appear until the end of the High-, start of the Late medieval period.Other than that horse carts were available

Also, in some cases, construction projects did get (partially) by without using wheeled conveyances, by using porters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_(carrier)

Of which you can see an example in the series Catedral del Mar:

Can also be seen depicted in real life on the titular Cathedral.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Alan B » Nov 12, 2018 9:42 am

Just had a thouhjt.
Traveller comes back home and sees all these porters carrying large stones. He gets the local carpenter to make this new contrivance he saw on his travels.

'Suddenly' loads of porters have lost their jobs...

:whistle:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Alan B wrote:Just had a thouhjt.
Traveller comes back home and sees all these porters carrying large stones. He gets the local carpenter to make this new contrivance he saw on his travels.

'Suddenly' loads of porters have lost their jobs...

:whistle:

Not sure what your point is? :ask:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby LucidFlight » Nov 12, 2018 4:52 pm

The porter union stifled the wheelbarrow industry, possibly lobbying their local rulers to ban them by decree.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The_Piper » Nov 13, 2018 1:35 am

Stone age Trump "we're bringing back porters, clean porters!"
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Nov 13, 2018 1:37 am

We got porters. The best porters Ask anybody, they'll tell you.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Return to History