Allah

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Allah

#21  Postby Sendraks » Apr 27, 2016 9:37 am

Allan moves in a mysterious way.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Blackadder » Apr 27, 2016 11:18 am

Sendraks wrote:Allan moves in a mysterious way.

:grin:
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 27, 2016 11:20 am

A Freudian slip? :naughty2:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Oeditor » Apr 27, 2016 1:24 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:It was cobbled together more than a hundred years after the life of so-called mo.
With possibly at least some of the text originating before Mo's time - the jury's still out.
Oh, and I'm not referring to Allah's alleged ghostly edition.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 27, 2016 2:56 pm

RightRingAgnostic wrote:Being an equal opportunity truth teller, I've decided to listen to what the Muslim clerics say about this "Allah" character. I'll be doing this for a little over a month. I already know the outcome, however, I still feel like it will give me a stronger argument against God.

If that's all you want, I can save you some time. You'll find the same basic contradictions in all three versions of Abraham's god.

He knows everything, including his own future actions, so presumably he couldn't change his mind on anything (he's constrained by doing what he already knew at the beginning of time he would do; any deviation would falsify his earlier knowledge). He's omnipotent, but we mere mammals can do something god can't; we're not constrained by only doing things we already know we're going to do; we can change our minds, surprise ourselves.

He's the most merciful, yet he'll throw you into the hell-fire for thought crimes - such as reasonably (given the lack of evidence) not believing in him.

Like the Bible, you'll find the Quran has plenty of contradictions. Some Islamic scholars have devised a system called abrogation whereby, for instance, later verses can trump earlier verses wherever there's a contradiction. A bit pointless when the deity himself is logically equivalent to a square circle. Whether abrogation means that god changes his mind (again, impossible if he's omniscient) or whether it means god is simultaneously a moral relativist (the rightness of his moral commands depends on situation, context) AND a fanatical moral absolutist... who can say?

It's nonsense, a complete mess, and (except from some comical moments such as Solomon conversing with talking ants) boring. To complicate matters, there are even "Satanic verses" (see Qur'an 22:52), which supposedly open up the possibility that Muhammad sometimes mistook Satanic suggestions for god's message, as given him by Gabriel. Yet, of course in the same citation (Qur'an 22:52) god makes this all come out right in the end.

So that's all right then.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#26  Postby crank » Apr 27, 2016 6:09 pm

That can't be right, Allah wrote it, created it?, but it's been around for all eternity. That's isn't something us mere mortals can comprehend, but don't worry, Allah comprehends everything, even the incomprehensible.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Oeditor » May 23, 2016 10:20 am

crank wrote:That can't be right, Allah wrote it, created it?, but it's been around for all eternity. That's isn't something us mere mortals can comprehend, but don't worry, Allah comprehends everything, even the incomprehensible.
Just the same as Allah creating the world fully-formed, but one step back: Allah and his "preserved tablet" were created fully formed. Same old infinite regression as all religions.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Dark energy » Mar 22, 2017 1:46 am

RightRingAgnostic wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Why do you need a stronger argument against god? Why capitalise it btw.

Allah's a more evil version. I want to see how evil he can actually get

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

How did you come to this conclusion? what do you think allah means?
And."
Dark energy

Name: dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby zulumoose » Mar 22, 2017 9:09 am

Matthew Shute wrote:
He's the most merciful, yet he'll throw you into the hell-fire for thought crimes - such as reasonably (given the lack of evidence) not believing in him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that there was no concept of hell in the Muslim religion, also that they have no problem with agnostic atheism, only with those who positively assert that there is no god, or (especially) those who have abandoned the faith.

While the death penalty for apostacy disgusts me I understand their justification for it, if a genuine believer found a convincing argument for leaving the faith, from their point of view it would jeopordise the souls of all the faithful who are exposed to it.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#30  Postby NineBerry » Mar 22, 2017 10:06 am

The Quran is full of references to Hell. There are detailed descriptions in the Quran how people are tortured in Hell.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 22, 2017 11:04 am

Jahannam

Nice. :whistle:

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby zulumoose » Mar 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Jahannam

Nice. :whistle:

I don't understand how anyone can read through those descriptions and think that this is anything but laughable mythology made up on the spot. Just the specifics and ridiculousness of the logistics, I mean really!

(The breadth of each of Hell's walls is equivalent to a distance covered by a walking journey of 40 years)

(Hell is perceived to be so deep that if a stone were thrown into it, it would fall for 70 years before reaching the bottom.)
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 22, 2017 2:06 pm

The same is true of reading past the first line of genesis.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Dark energy » Mar 22, 2017 2:12 pm

NineBerry wrote:The Quran is full of references to Hell. There are detailed descriptions in the Quran how people are tortured in Hell.

how does that make you feel as an atheist? :ask:
And."
Dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Sendraks » Mar 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Dark energy wrote:how does that make you feel as an atheist? :ask:

The idea of using fear to control people should be abhorrent to any rational person, atheist or no.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby zulumoose » Mar 22, 2017 2:27 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:The same is true of reading past the first line of genesis.

No argument there.

Dark energy wrote:
NineBerry wrote:The Quran is full of references to Hell. There are detailed descriptions in the Quran how people are tortured in Hell.

how does that make you feel as an atheist? :ask:

For me, it just illustrates clearly how laughable the idea of religion is. Whatever the religious like to tell themselves about how their beliefs are reality, the more you look at the assertions of their texts, the more difficult it becomes to accept that anyone really believes it.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Dark energy » Mar 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Dark energy wrote:how does that make you feel as an atheist? :ask:

The idea of using fear to control people should be abhorrent to any rational person, atheist or no.

great.
And."
Dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby laklak » Mar 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Allah = Muslim god. Challah = Jewish bread.

So, Jews are Muslims with more money?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Dark energy » Mar 22, 2017 2:48 pm

laklak wrote:Allah = Muslim god. Challah = Jewish bread.

So, Jews are Muslims with more money?

Allah means simply THE GOD,just like BANANA means BANANA,there are many different varieties of BANANA,it is up to you which BANANA you choose,same with the thousands of gods out there.
And."
Dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Alan B » Mar 22, 2017 2:56 pm

There are not "thousands of gods 'out there'". They all in the mind. Nowhere else.

Sent from my PSP5508DUO using Tapatalk
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Islam