Allah

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Allah

#1  Postby RightRingAgnostic » Apr 25, 2016 12:27 pm

Being an equal opportunity truth teller, I've decided to listen to what the Muslim clerics say about this "Allah" character. I'll be doing this for a little over a month. I already know the outcome, however, I still feel like it will give me a stronger argument against God.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
RightRingAgnostic

Name: Adam Fernandes

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Allah

#2  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 25, 2016 12:30 pm

Why do you need a stronger argument against god? Why capitalise it btw.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Apr 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Read the Koran once for lulz. Stopped about 2 thirds of the way in. It got awfully repetitive.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 25, 2016 12:44 pm

Are you going to do the same with Christianity?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 25, 2016 12:44 pm

Animavore wrote:Read the Koran once for lulz. Stopped about 2 thirds of the way in. It got awfully repetitive.

I read the whole thing once. It was worse than Mein Kampf.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby RightRingAgnostic » Apr 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Are you going to do the same with Christianity?

Well I grew up in a Christian home, so probably not. I've already critiqued Christianity a few times.

RightRingAgnostic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby RightRingAgnostic » Apr 25, 2016 12:47 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Why do you need a stronger argument against god? Why capitalise it btw.

Allah's a more evil version. I want to see how evil he can actually get

RightRingAgnostic

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 25, 2016 12:54 pm

RightRingAgnostic wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Why do you need a stronger argument against god? Why capitalise it btw.

Allah's a more evil version.

As compared to what?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Shrunk » Apr 25, 2016 1:07 pm

Animavore wrote:Read the Koran once for lulz. Stopped about 2 thirds of the way in. It got awfully repetitive.

Yeah, not much of a plot. Some claim it's better in the original language, but since no one speaks that any more, who's to say?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Matt_B » Apr 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Shrunk wrote:

Yeah, not much of a plot. Some claim it's better in the original language, but since no one speaks that any more, who's to say?

I'm sure the mere fact that nobody could understand it would make it a lot better. ;)
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

I'm sure the mere fact that nobody could understand it would make it a lot better. ;)

I doubt it as it would be open to even greater interpretation. The same was true when the catholic church used only Latin. People were depended on the priest for interpretation.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Blackadder » Apr 25, 2016 2:08 pm

Shrunk wrote:

I think that phrase is meant as in it's better in Arabic, rather than translations. It's true that the form of Arabic it is written in is antiquated but it's still perfectly intelligible to modern Arabic speakers. When I say intelligible, I don't mean that it contains any intelligence. It's mostly garbage.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 25, 2016 2:12 pm

Blackadder wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

I think that phrase is meant as in it's better in Arabic, rather than translations. It's true that the form of Arabic it is written in is antiquated but it's still perfectly intelligible to modern Arabic speakers. When I say intelligible, I don't mean that it contains any intelligence. It's mostly garbage.

Was not the original Arabic that is was written in lacking in dots for vowels?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Blackadder » Apr 25, 2016 2:18 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Blackadder wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

Was not the original Arabic that is was written in lacking in dots for vowels?

Yes, which is why there is uncertainty about some verses which could mean very different things spending on what the missing vowels are assumed to be. But that was a style of writing. The actual language hasn't changed that much in 1400 years.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Shrunk » Apr 25, 2016 3:07 pm

Blackadder wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

OK, I was under the impression the language was quite different. Thanks for the correction. :thumbup:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby crank » Apr 25, 2016 4:14 pm

None of you have read the Koran, it HAS to be read in the original Arabic. The original Arabic is actually written by Allah, who has the original Koran, all others are copies. I guess Allah speaks arabic as his native tongue, which is both kinda true and absurd. This is my understanding of claims I've read about.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Shrunk » Apr 25, 2016 4:18 pm

When I was a kid growing up in a Muslim family, I kept hearing that the Quran was the only holy scripture that still existed in its original language, and always assumed this had been confirmed by comparison to an original copy of the writings from Muhammad's time that had been authenticated. I'm embarrassed that it only in the last few years that I've realized this is not true.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 25, 2016 6:15 pm

It was cobbled together more than a hundred years after the life of so-called mo.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby crank » Apr 27, 2016 4:44 am

It's existed through eternity in heaven with Allah, who wrote it. In 8th century arabic for some reason. [Is it 8th? Whatever c it was]
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#20  Postby NineBerry » Apr 27, 2016 8:02 am

Explains all the errors in it. Allah must have been in a rush to get it ready in time before creating the universe.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Islam