Is this true?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Is this true?

#21  Postby Shuggy » Oct 13, 2010 1:39 am

Considering Muslims wash ritually five times a day before prayers, shave their armpits and circumcise boys, all in the name of cleanliness, doesn't that sort of go against the grain? Why are we wasting even a moment on this?
The Wero Shop - products to make you laugh and think
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 13, 2010 6:22 am

Has anyone heard this story before or a variation of it?

Someone just pulled that out of their ass.

Ba-dum-ching.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby francoistweet » Nov 30, 2010 6:51 am

Firstly: this is not complete "bullshit" - although I don't know all the details there is some truth to the trousers. And it's indeed worn in some Druze areas - I took the photograph below in a Druze villiage in the Golan Heights (currently administered by Israel - formerly Syria).

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mr ... directlink

I would appreciate it if someone could explain this better (without immediately writing it off as an urband legend)
francoistweet

Name: Francois Malan

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#24  Postby chickenlittle » Sep 15, 2014 5:36 pm

I first heard this circa 1999, roughly 50 miles South of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

The story was that during the holy month, Muslim men would sift through their feces, looking for an egg, from which the future messiah would hatch. It wasn't narrowed down to a specific sect, and, I thought it was a confused misinterpretation or urban legend. When I retold the story while studying World Religions, expressions were distinctly quizzical.

I heard the same story more than a decade later, in Turkey. Again, it was presented with abject certainty. It's been relayed for years by some US service members stationed in the Mideast, and I can only assume that the origin of the story also resides inside the armed forces.

I've never found anything resembling a Bible, Torah, or Qur'an reference, or any scholarly verification.

I thought it odd then, I find it extremely unlikely today.
chickenlittle

Name: Chicken Little

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 16, 2014 2:37 am

True or false, the myth is plausible. The problem with evidence free, mechanism free, theory-free beliefs is that they can all be lampooned.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#26  Postby laklak » Sep 16, 2014 2:59 am

Considering how big a baby is I'm pretty sure you'd know if one crawled out of your ass.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 16, 2014 3:33 am

laklak wrote:Considering how big a baby is I'm pretty sure you'd know if one crawled out of your ass.

It depends on the strength of your faith brother! U jist don't believ it enough! Checkmate atheists! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Varangian » Sep 16, 2014 6:24 am

A new Jesus born that way? He would be a right little shit!

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 16, 2014 6:34 am

Varangian wrote:A new Jesus born that way? He would be a right little shit!

wasn't he anyway? :lol: :lol:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#30  Postby NineBerry » Sep 16, 2014 8:06 am

Ups
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby hackenslash » Sep 16, 2014 12:34 pm

laklak wrote:Considering how big a baby is I'm pretty sure you'd know if one crawled out of your ass.

Not as big as some of the assertions the credulous extract from their anuses, to be fair...
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#32  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 17, 2014 2:25 am

hackenslash wrote:

Not as big as some of the assertions the credulous extract from their anuses, to be fair...

Indeed, true or false, this is a successful troll of many religious POVs, because:-

1. Magical beliefs of one sort or another are common, and arguably universal. [Except for folks who believe it is good to believe, or "cultural Christians" or whatever.
2. Misogyny, or at least belief in male superiority is common in many religious-cultural circles.
3. As others have noted, scientific literacy, with especial regard to biology, is also not uncommon in religious circles.

Because religions are so adept at making up shit, and such beliefs can well go to fixation in many religious communities, then any shit made up by critics of religion will be almost automatically plausable unless one has detailed knowledge of not only particular faiths, but detail of what the many sects in those religions believe.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#33  Postby NineBerry » Sep 17, 2014 10:41 am

These stories are mostly used by one religious group against the other.

There's this scene in Pratchett's "Pyramids" where two armies besiege each other, each one hiding in wooden horses along their border.

In one horse there is this conversation:

"Do you really think, the enemy is so stupid as to take our horses into their camp?"
- "Absolutely. The proof is that they are so stupid to think we would take their horses into our camp."
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby Oeditor » Sep 18, 2014 1:51 pm

So that's why Christians hunt for eggs at Easter? And no doubt why they make them from chocolate, too.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Varangian » Sep 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Oeditor wrote:So that's why Christians hunt for eggs at Easter? And no doubt why they make them from chocolate, too.

"It's chocolate, it's a surprise, it's Baby Jesus!"

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby viocjit » Sep 27, 2014 10:24 pm

As a man who live is whole life in France close to Muslims (in my neighborhood they are between 20-40% of the population). I can say that I have knowledge above the majority of Westerner about Islam and this is the first time that I hear this story.

This story seem untrue for many reasons that I will explain if you answer to the next questions.
When you say messiah. Do you speak about Al-madhi ?
viocjit

Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Oeditor » Sep 29, 2014 11:19 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:True or false, the myth is plausible. The problem with evidence free, mechanism free, theory-free beliefs is that they can all be lampooned.
Yes, it's probably a poo poe.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Dee Bianc » Oct 23, 2018 10:43 am

my mother told me the same thing years ago, in the seventies...wonder why Saudi wear robes?
Dee Bianc

Name: Donna McKenzie

Print view this post

#39  Postby Rumraket » Oct 24, 2018 6:07 am

4 year resurrection? This thread's more miraculous than Jesus!
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#40  Postby OlmanB » Sep 01, 2020 9:05 am

Oh, rather interesting
OlmanB
Banned Spammer

Name: Greg Bjorg

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext