Koran existed before Muhammad

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Koran existed before Muhammad

#1  Postby kennyc » Sep 01, 2015 1:28 pm

An ancient copy of the Koran found in a Birmingham library could rewrite the early history of Islam, experts believe.

Some of the world’s oldest fragments of the Muslim holy text were discovered by the University of Birmingham in July.

The pages of the Koran were kept with a collection of Middle Eastern books and lay undiscovered for almost a century.

Experts think the manuscript, written on sheep or goat skin, dates back to between AD 568 and 645.

The Prophet Muhammad, said to have received the revelations that form the Koran, lived between AD 570 and 632.

But now some historians controversially believe the Birmingham Koran could pre-date the Prophet.

That would contradict most accounts of his life and legacy and may “radically alter the edifice of Islamic tradition”.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... te-9966936
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Koran existed before Muhammad

#2  Postby Peter Brown » Sep 01, 2015 1:53 pm

The only way to be sure would be to test the ink, and Bart Erhman says a lot of ink would need to be distroyed to get a firm result.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » Sep 01, 2015 2:57 pm

That'd mean it was written by Allah, right? Maybe His crib notes when he was giving Muhammad dictation.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 01, 2015 3:06 pm

It would not be that impossible or strange. Mohammed, if he existed, or his followers, could've easily co-opted the 'original'.
We'd have to await positive testing though.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Shrunk » Sep 01, 2015 4:11 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:It would not be that impossible or strange. Mohammed, if he existed, or his followers, could've easily co-opted the 'original'.

Well, it would be strange if, as Muslims claim, the Quran was revealed directly to Mohammed from God. Unfortunately, it seems few Muslim "scholars" of Islam feel at liberty to entertain any alternative scenarios.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:It would not be that impossible or strange. Mohammed, if he existed, or his followers, could've easily co-opted the 'original'.

Well, it would be strange if, as Muslims claim, the Quran was revealed directly to Mohammed from God.

Of course.

Shrunk wrote: Unfortunately, it seems few Muslim "scholars" of Islam feel at liberty to entertain any alternative scenarios.

The same would be true with Jews vis a vis the Ten Commandments or the Christians vis a vis Jesus's resurrection.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 01, 2015 4:35 pm

Not to rain on anyone's parade but........ Parchment keeps for quite some time. It used to get recycled by scraping the top surface away. It could well be that a piss stained goat herd could only afford to use old parchment to scribble mad old Mo's ramblings down on.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby kennyc » Sep 01, 2015 6:04 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Not to rain on anyone's parade but........ Parchment keeps for quite some time. It used to get recycled by scraping the top surface away. It could well be that a piss stained goat herd could only afford to use old parchment to scribble mad old Mo's ramblings down on.

Yep, that's why as Peter mentioned it would be more definitive to test the ink....
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Alan B » Sep 01, 2015 6:15 pm

This is old news.
Please refer to my thread here
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby kennyc » Sep 01, 2015 6:19 pm

But it's September!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Alan B » Sep 01, 2015 6:23 pm

If the ink can be tested and is found to be earlier than Mo, then that would suggest that Mo was a plagiarist.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby chairman bill » Sep 01, 2015 6:59 pm

When belief & facts collide, beliefs win. Muslims will just reject the 'Satanic' science that was involved
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby lucek » Sep 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Peter Brown wrote:The only way to be sure would be to test the ink, and Bart Erhman says a lot of ink would need to be distroyed to get a firm result.

You could date the animal hide. It would atleast give you an upper limit. Yes it could be a palimpsest.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby chairman bill » Sep 01, 2015 8:02 pm

I want them to find something in Mo's own hand, that says "Whatever you do, treat Palmyra with some fucking respect!" Might be a bit too late though.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby kennyc » Sep 01, 2015 8:03 pm

chairman bill wrote:I want them to find something in Mo's own hand, that says "Whatever you do, treat Palmyra with some fucking respect!" Might be a bit too late though.

Too late, those scum really don't care, it's just an excuse...
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Oeditor » Sep 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Alan B wrote:If the ink can be tested and is found to be earlier than Mo, then that would suggest that Mo was a plagiarist.
Suggest? There;s no doubt about it - half the stuff in the Koran is pinched from Jewish or Christian stories. Not a little from the Ancient Greeks, either.
As or the mss, I'm surprised that they say it's on "sheep or goat skin": compared with what they'd need for C14 dating, a mere snippet should give them enough DNA to answer that question. It's also surprising that nothing has been said about whether it could be a palimpsest - surely a critical factor with such mss. Can we assume that the author knows her job and has excluded it?
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Ironclad » Sep 08, 2015 5:28 pm

Alan B wrote:This is old news.
Please refer to my thread here

That thread is older than the Koran! OMFGWTF1
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#18  Postby lucek » Sep 08, 2015 8:02 pm

Oeditor wrote:
Alan B wrote:If the ink can be tested and is found to be earlier than Mo, then that would suggest that Mo was a plagiarist.
Suggest? There;s no doubt about it - half the stuff in the Koran is pinched from Jewish or Christian stories. Not a little from the Ancient Greeks, either.
As or the mss, I'm surprised that they say it's on "sheep or goat skin": compared with what they'd need for C14 dating, a mere snippet should give them enough DNA to answer that question. It's also surprising that nothing has been said about whether it could be a palimpsest - surely a critical factor with such mss. Can we assume that the author knows her job and has excluded it?

I assume that's why they want to date the ink. But yeah C14 the skin before bothering to test the ink. The ink should be the confirmation of the age not the test.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Oeditor » Sep 09, 2015 1:40 pm

They have this to say about the ink:
Do you have any information about the ink?
The brown ink from this period used on the manuscript would have been made from a carbon-based pigment, applied with a reed pen. The red ink, which may have been added later, could be made from kermes lake pigment, which was available at the time. The inks have not been age-tested as there is currently no scientifically reliable method of dating inks.
Interesting point about the red ink - the ornamentations have been suggested as ruling out an early date. This casts doubt on that argument.
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/events/quran-manuscript/faqs.aspx
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby kennyc » Sep 09, 2015 1:42 pm

Oeditor wrote:They have this to say about the ink:
Do you have any information about the ink?
The brown ink from this period used on the manuscript would have been made from a carbon-based pigment, applied with a reed pen. The red ink, which may have been added later, could be made from kermes lake pigment, which was available at the time. The inks have not been age-tested as there is currently no scientifically reliable method of dating inks.
Interesting point about the red ink - the ornamentations have been suggested as ruling out an early date. This casts doubt on that argument.
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/events/quran-manuscript/faqs.aspx

Interesting maybe the ornamentation was added later. That certainly would be a consideration in testing/dating the ink!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Islam