Muslim's attitudes toward dogs.

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Muslim's attitudes toward dogs.

#161  Postby aban57 » Mar 20, 2019 10:22 am

Fallible wrote:I've never been bitten by a dog. That's because dogs give you warnings before they bite, as they don't really want to do it. I've been bitten by multiple cats though. That's because they give you no warning. Cats are basically sadistic bastards.

I've been bitten by a dog on the face, no warning, and my former cat scratched me so hard I'll keep the scars until I die. I still love cats and dogs though.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#162  Postby zulumoose » Mar 20, 2019 10:37 am

I've been bitten by a dog on the face, no warning, and my former cat scratched me so hard I'll keep the scars until I die. I still love cats and dogs though.

I have been bitten by dogs without warning, kicked by a horse without warning, and bitten by a cat without warning.
The horse, no injury, glancing blow.
The dog, minor nick, more severe injuries from breaking up a dog fight though, 3-6 months before full hand movement returned.
The cat, nearly 5 years later I still have traces of the skin infection, it has at various times been on one forearm, then both forearms, and is now present but fading on my neck, behind my ear, and one spot on one forearm. It almost always seems like it is about to disappear, but occasionally resurges.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#163  Postby aban57 » Mar 20, 2019 12:36 pm

She left me this :
20180918_221747[1].gif
20180918_221747[1].gif (921.06 KiB) Viewed 347 times

And there's more on the back of the hand an the other hand too.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#164  Postby Fallible » Mar 20, 2019 12:49 pm

I’m just putting it out there as a possibility that those of you bitten without warning may have just missed the warning, as I probably did with the cats that got me. Lots of people do. They can be quite subtle, like tension in the body, ‘whale eye’, intense eyes, feeezing, stiffened tail, change in wag, change in stance and a puckered mouth.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#165  Postby aban57 » Mar 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Fallible wrote:I’m just putting it out there as a possibility that those of you bitten without warning may have just missed the warning, as I probably did with the cats that got me. Lots of people do. They can be quite subtle, like tension in the body, ‘whale eye’, intense eyes, feeezing, stiffened tail, change in wag, change in stance and a puckered mouth.

You're most likely right. There's been a confusion (at least on my part) between "no signal" and "no obvious-and-human-understandable sign".
Also, I didn't mean that it was their fault. I know it was mine in both cases.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#166  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2019 3:04 pm

None of the 3 times that I was bitten on the job were my fault. They were all the owner's faults. Only 1 of the instances had obvious warnings, the dog following and barking at me all through the housing project. It was a little mini doberman thing. On the very last doorway in the project around a corner, he was hiding and leapt off the top step to bite my leg. The lousy owner just shrugged when I told her. It didn't hurt much. Another time I swung a metal mailbox lid open and was attacked by dogs who were indoors and ran out the open door. The third time it was a loose dog on the sidewalk who bit me out of fear as I walked by. That was a medium sized dog, and it's lousy owner also shrugged. the only warning it gave was holding it's head low, which I think is a sign of fear. If I didn't like dogs I could have reported the incidents. The one where the dogs came running out of the house was reported because their lousy owner slapped me in the face for using my pepper spray. Those were 2 large dogs who weren't playing around. If I had my 44 year old brain I would have sprayed him too.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#167  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 20, 2019 3:23 pm

I've lived in two Muslim countries and plenty of people have dogs. Not as many as in the West, of course, but that's a cultural and/or economic thing. Most people in the developing world typically have animals to do a job for them, so they often have dogs as guard animals and keep them outside. I'm sure there are plenty who don't like dogs either. I've seen the odd dog in my building, but most people rent, so it's normal to not allow pets anyway. But I also lived in Vietnam, where people largely treat dogs (and animals generally) like shit. I find you can tell a lot about a country by how wary animals are with you on the street, and let's just say that the animals I've seen in both Morocco and Malaysia have been far more friendly than the ones in Vietnam. We went hiking the other day and were followed by a dog for a few km. It let us stroke it and everything, suggesting that it's quite used to strangers being friendly and feeding it.

I've heard similar things about Indians often not liking dogs (although every Indian I know loves them) and one suggestion was that it's a country that still has packs of dogs that are dangerous, so people are taught to be wary of dogs. Most interpretations of Islam (AFAIK) recommend Muslims to avoid contact with dogs and wash if they come into contact with them, but most interpretations of Islam also ban Muslims from drinking alcohol, and yet every bar I go to is full of 'Muslims' drinking. Islam's like any other religion. The number of people are label themselves a Muslim dwarfs the number of people who actually practise it seriously. I think the cultural status of particular animals is far more of an indicator of people's attitudes towards them than their religion most of the time.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#168  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 20, 2019 4:18 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Alan B wrote:
minininja wrote:Dogs can often bite strangers.

Cats can scratch strangers.

Ban all pussys, I say! :snooty:

I got scratched by a cat once - it took me a week in intensive care and a decade of psychotherapy to recover :whine:

In light of recent posts I need to retract :this: sarcastic quip as apparently cat scratches can occasionally be very serious indeed :shock:
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#169  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 20, 2019 9:41 pm

When I lived in Jakarta, a lot of the Muslims there were Indonesian. We never had a dog. Was not bitten once. In Singapore, we had a Malay groundskeeper who would look after the local cats. I was once chased by a pair of Dobermanns when, at a young age, I strayed onto their property.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#170  Postby Thommo » Mar 20, 2019 9:51 pm

LucidFlight wrote:When I lived in Jakarta, a lot of the Muslims there were Indonesian.

:lol:
Thommo

Print view this post

#171  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 20, 2019 10:11 pm

Amazing in Indonesia.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#172  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2019 10:51 pm

LucidFlight wrote:When I lived in Jakarta, a lot of the Muslims there were Indonesian. We never had a dog. Was not bitten once. In Singapore, we had a Malay groundskeeper who would look after the local cats. I was once chased by a pair of Dobermanns when, at a young age, I strayed onto their property.

When I was a little kid, I had a nightmare that 2 dogs who spoke English and knew my name were eating me.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#173  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 20, 2019 10:54 pm

Any reason why?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#174  Postby The_Piper » Mar 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Any reason why?

Not that I can remember. I was only 5 or 6, I was probably afraid of big dogs then.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#175  Postby felltoearth » Mar 21, 2019 3:45 am

The_Piper wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Any reason why?

Not that I can remember. I was only 5 or 6, I was probably afraid of big dogs then.

Zo, vy don’t you tell me a leetle more about your muhzer.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#176  Postby The_Piper » Mar 21, 2019 6:14 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#177  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 25, 2019 5:41 am

Hermit wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:As Rachel said earlier in the thread the uncomfortable around dogs thing may gradually have permeated the culture in a nebulous kinda way so they didn't grow up around dogs and generally picked up a bad vibe. If they then become taxi drivers that nebulous "bad vibe" might just tip the scales against taking dogs regardless of religious dogma per se, when combined with the other reasons a cabbie might refuse to take dogs.

Worth remembering too that not that many years ago dogs, guide dogs, comfort dogs or not, were not allowed in taxis full stop. No exceptions. That kind of culture cannot be switched off with a change in law. It kind of peters out as older drivers leave the workforce thus no longer influencing their replacements with fossilised mindset. It's a (very) small-scale parallel to the 1964 civil rights act in the US still having to work its way through into the real world and women still struggling for practical equality decades after laws decreed they are entitled to it everywhere in the so called developed nations.

At the risk of derailing the thread, an illustration à propos the latter: Earlier this week channel 7 posted a photo of a women's Aussie Rules team member kicking the ball goalwards. It was a study of superb power, athleticism, determination and elegance. It really was. Here it is.

Comments flooded in immediately that were mostly either disparaging of womanhood, rude, insulting or plain smutty. Can you imagine that kind of reaction if the the photo was of a male AFL player in the same posture? No, neither can I.

But there's worse to come. Someone at channel 7 decided the best course of action was to take the photo offline and leave the comments where they were. As if the photo was the problem, rather than the trolls' comments! Women's liberation when?

That is a truly awesome "display" of athleticism and devotion. By my gods she is fit, and I would not presume to so much as mention an item of her underwear even to myself. Unfortunately mental children have access to the internet. Call Tim Berners and complain.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#178  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 25, 2019 8:09 am

Women displaying themselves in public is haram. Do not be tempted by the jinns.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#179  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 25, 2019 6:47 pm

Please don't make me think of gin and tonics Lucid.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#180  Postby Svartalf » Mar 25, 2019 6:57 pm

LucidFlight wrote:Women displaying themselves in public is haram. Do not be tempted by the jinns.

I am tempted by jeans, especially when they display the roundness of luscious buttocks, and I relish in wine pork and other haram things
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Islam