Projection, power, polygamy and oppression in Islam.

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Projection, power, polygamy and oppression in Islam.

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 08, 2019 9:32 am

The classic example of psychological projection as identified by Freud is that of projected thoughts of infidelity. A powerful, decision/law making/influencing Muslim male (of course), throughout the centuries, is surely the most likely type of male to have multiple wives, as is legislated for in the Koran itself. It follows then that these powerful men would project their thoughts (well, actions really) of promiscuity onto their wives and consequently, en mass, women in general, and this explains by my mind why Islamic countries like Saudi Arabia have laws such as forbidding women to leave the house without a male relative, travel abroad without a male relative's permission, show their hair/flesh in public, drive, experience sexual pleasure (FGM) etc.

Groundbreaking or stating the obvious?
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Projection, power, polygamy and oppression in Islam.

#2  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 08, 2019 7:54 pm

There is, of course, the argument of unlimited and substantial pluralism, in that there should be a substantial polygamous society which demeans, brutalises and dehumanises millions of women, stunting their intellectual and manifest growth and freedom in multifaceted fundamental ways, In the name of the sexual gratification of a few of the comparatively very rich/powerful. That is a weak argument IMO, to say the least.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm

A quick thought is that the premise is not valid thus is not the conclusion.

It follows then that these powerful men would project their thoughts (well, actions really) of promiscuity onto their wives and consequently, en mass, women in general,

Let me offer an alternative hypothesis.

But the text is clear that polygamy is only permissible if all wives are treated justly. The Quran then goes on to say that it will never be possible for a husband to treat all of his wives fairly. This effectively limits the possibility of polygamy today.

https://www.islamicity.org/3079/a-quran ... -polygamy/

Premise 1: Man is to treat all wives fairly, sex included
Premise 2: This is practically not possible
Conclusion 1: Wives not treaty fairly get pissed and horny
Conclusion 2: Can't let them go alone ...
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 08, 2019 9:04 pm

What a load of shite. What is your explanation for the appalling treatment of women in, say saudi arablia? Is it seriously that? HINT: agree with me.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Feb 08, 2019 9:05 pm

Its not a pile of shit, you can google yourself or ask scholars. I've heard multiple saying it .. but if it does not work for you, its alright with me.
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 08, 2019 9:16 pm

I wonder if it works for the saudi royals...evidently not. You're a flake, tuco.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby tuco » Feb 08, 2019 9:29 pm

The question, here, is not what works ~ description of reality, at least the way I understood it. The question was whether or not projection, power, polygamy, and oppression in Islam are connected.

Psychological projection is a defence mechanism in which the human ego defends itself against unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

That Quran preaches to treat all wives in the same fashion is a fact. That, in reality, it's not possible seems reasonable to me. And when a wife is not satisfied, well, I know what mine did ;)
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Keep It Real wrote:What a load of shite.

The irony :lol:
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Fallible » Feb 08, 2019 10:22 pm

When you say 'as identified by Freud', my brain automatically replaces it with 'as made up by Freud'.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 09, 2019 2:52 pm

There's actually a fair amount of subsequent empirical support for projection type stuff eg https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=psychological+projection&btnG=

I'm aware through my own introspection (ergh, another yukky Freudian term spit hak spit) that I personally am prone to more than the occasional shallow spot of projection type stuff. In any case, if not projection through the mechanism Freud described, then false consensus effect perhaps:

Some studies were critical of Freud's theory. Research supports the existence of a false-consensus effect whereby humans have a broad tendency to believe that others are similar to themselves, and thus "project" their personal traits onto others. This applies to good traits as well as bad traits and is not a defense mechanism for denying the existence of the trait within the self.[34]

Instead, Newman, Duff, and Baumeister (1997) proposed a new model of defensive projection. In this view, repressors try to suppress thoughts of their undesirable traits, and these efforts make those trait categories highly accessible—so that they are then used all the more often when forming impressions of others. The projection is then only a by-product of the real defensive mechanism.[35]

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 09, 2019 3:24 pm

tuco wrote:That Quran preaches to treat all wives in the same fashion is a fact. That, in reality, it's not possible seems reasonable to me. And when a wife is not satisfied, well, I know what mine did ;)

Sorry to hear that tuco, and I retract the "flake" remark, my blood was up. I doubt horny saudi royalty who can have the most beautiful 2nd/3rd/nth wives in the land at the drop of a tea towel choose to interpret that passage that way...I mean evidently. Also, if treating even three people of the same gender, nationality, socioeconomic status and ethnicity "equally" is impossible then that's the SJWs doomed to failure :rofl:

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tuco » Feb 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Don't worry about it, I don't mind. Also, don't be sorry because I do not expect my partner to keep sexual monogamy, especially under the mentioned circumstances.
tuco

Print view this post

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2019 12:25 pm

So, how might the "projection" of promiscuity play out in said harem frequenting man, and why would it result in such manifest and draconian societal laws? Perhaps thus:

hidden inner voice of x wrote: I have sex with three different women each week. It is the most profound element of my life, the love making I enjoy. It would be unthinkable for me to go without it. I love my wives and feel closeness to them of unparalleled magnitude. We share the profoundest moments and thoughts. Surely they too must, then, at least desire such a situation for themselves, having sex with several men in a week...If I couldn't bear to go without that then how possibly could they! But...but...being a monkey man and given internal fertilisation it would be unbearably nightmarish for me if my wives were to have sex with other men! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH right, mandatory burkas, no leaving the house/country unaccompanied, no driving, FGM so they get no pleasure from sex and...and..and...the rest! No power or freedom for women in my neighbourhood! Did I say I love my wives?

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Return to Islam