What are the superiorities of Islam over Christianity ?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

What are the superiorities of Islam over Christianity ?

#1  Postby aliihsanasl » Mar 31, 2016 7:39 am

As I mentioned in Christianity over Islam thread I want to compare two religions from the eye of skeptics and atheists. Well of course you can contribute if you're a believer of any but don't fly too high there are hunters around :tongue:

I grew up in a Muslim society and took religion classes up to university level and still didn't find much about it for me. But still I find some of the things inside Islam beneficial for the modern society.

Once again someone can say "you say this but here there is such a practice". It's a 1400 years old tradition and each society shaped it according to their own way of life.

So here is my list.

First there is a very powerful monotheist message of Islam very often mentioned in Koran. There is one creater Allah and there are his servants humans. This way there are no holies or holiest people on earth. There are only humans who are all equal ( well as long as you are Muslim of course but keep in mind in the eye of Islam everyone born Muslim then their parent teach different teachings. Even a Christian woman who die giving birth to a baby counted as martyr simply because it's a Muslim coming to earth and didn't make a choice yet) even Mohammed very often said that "I'm just a servant of him too even I don't know what my fate will be when I die"

Anyway in short according to Islam anyone can lead a Muslim community, can make a call for prayer, make Friday speech in mosque. Nobody had the privilege to listen anothers sins and forgive them it's all between Allah and that person.

Another one; I mentioned absolute peace of Christianity on the other thread which I still find fascinating among the subcity but to tell truth that can have bad consequences. Our national independence's first bullet fired by an imam in Kahramanmaras when the community came to mosque for Friday prayer which is crucial for Muslims. Muslims wanted imam to lead the group but imam said "do you think your prayer has any value while there is French flag above the castle ? There won't be Friday prayer until this city is independent" this was how it started for this city and spread to others.

To tell the truth right wing and religious people all the time have a likely attitude and in christianity there is such a tendency too but not as powerfully as making a separation between a Halal land and infidel land of Islam.

There are very powerful, strict and clear objectives of political Islam which from time to time turning against itself too. For example Muslims until nowadays accepted conquering of Constantinople from Byzantine in 1453 as the first step of a holy event and accepted Fatih as a very crucial character in Islam history since prophet Mohammed said he'll be a very special person who get this city for Muslims ( keep in mind it's the centre of attention of the world in those days )and also there is a loose mentioning in Koran too. But when we came today ISIS saying what Koran and Mohammed mentioned wasn't Ottoman emperor we'll take Constantinople from infidel Turks.

Actually I was mentioning advantages of Islam but all of a sudden that advantage turned against it as you see.

Maybe if I can remember anything else I'll edit this post that's all for now.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: What are the superiorities of Islam over Christianity ?

#2  Postby Briton » Mar 31, 2016 8:22 am

It is superior to Christianity in protecting it's self from the Enlightenment.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby aliihsanasl » Mar 31, 2016 8:33 am

Briton wrote:It is superior to Christianity in protecting it's self from the Enlightenment.

And at the same time although there are voluntary and officially assigned missionaries of Christianity Islam spreading more rapidly somehow.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sendraks » Mar 31, 2016 9:55 am

They were ahead of the game in terms of medicine over Christianity for centuries.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby aliihsanasl » Mar 31, 2016 10:22 am

Sendraks wrote:They were ahead of the game in terms of medicine over Christianity for centuries.

Not just medicine astronomy and mathematics too, which isn't a surprise because science which is a byproduct of free thinking was under pressure during dark ages of Europe.

One more thing good about Islam I just realize; most of the time Islam didn't force anyone to change their religion by using brute force (as long as they pay the tax of it which is very acceptable if you think about the condition of Jews in Europe a few centuries ago) Jews of Spain moved to Ottoman empire, when Ottomans left Balkans in 19th and 20th century Greeks, Serbians, Bulgarians all both protected their culture and religion.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Sendraks » Mar 31, 2016 10:53 am

Forced conversion is prohibited under Islam. Which doesn't mean it never happens but, for the most part, it doesn't.

Which sounds neat and positive, but all it really means is either you "voluntarily" convert to islam or historically enjoy a status synonymous with the word "target" or "victim."
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Shrunk » Mar 31, 2016 11:00 am

Sendraks wrote:They were ahead of the game in terms of medicine over Christianity for centuries.

That's Muslims, not Islam.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby RealityRules » Mar 31, 2016 11:03 am

Less drunks
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Sendraks » Mar 31, 2016 11:12 am

Shrunk wrote:That's Muslims, not Islam.

A fair point. For whatever reason, the role of Islamic faith in the Muslim society didn't seem to have the inhibiting effect on learning and the development of medical sciences that was occurring over in Christian Europe. The advances in medicine were driven by the people, rather than by the religion itself.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 31, 2016 11:19 am

Science in general actually.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 31, 2016 11:21 am

Sendraks wrote:Forced conversion is prohibited under Islam. Which doesn't mean it never happens but, for the most part, it doesn't."

This is the problem. Are we talking about Islam as an ideal described in the koran, or the myriad different ways people practice it.
If the former, one way they´re superior, is that they see Christians as brothers of the book, unlike Christianity which sees Muslims as heathens.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 31, 2016 11:22 am

Shrunk wrote:

That's Muslims, not Islam.

It was also Islam in the sense that the spirit of scientific and philosophical inquiry was promoted and practised by the clergy.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Sendraks » Mar 31, 2016 11:23 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
This is the problem. Are we talking about Islam as an ideal described in the koran, or the myriad different ways people practice it.

Well I think the fundamentalists keep their consciences clear in respect of the Koran by not "forcing" anyone to convert by making them a Muslim but instead giving them the wholly fair choice between "convert or die." Obviously no one is being "forced" to choose under that scenario, they either go willingly to Allah or to their deaths.

Cake or death?

Cake or death?

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 31, 2016 11:32 am

Sendraks wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Well I think the fundamentalists keep their consciences clear in respect of the Koran by not "forcing" anyone to convert by making them a Muslim but instead giving them the wholly fair choice between "convert or die." Obviously no one is being "forced" to choose under that scenario, they either go willingly to Allah or to their deaths.

Cake or death?

Cake or death?

But that's something they made up themselves.
The early Muslims may have treated Christians as second class citizens, but they weren't given the choice 'convert or die'.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Sendraks » Mar 31, 2016 11:35 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Well yes, that's entirely my point.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:The early Muslims may have treated Christians as second class citizens, but they weren't given the choice 'convert or die'.

I didn't mean to imply, and I accept that I did, that all followers of Islam convert others throughout history through threat of death, the second hand citizen status is as you say, the historical norm.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 31, 2016 11:43 am

Sendraks wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Well yes, that's entirely my point.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:The early Muslims may have treated Christians as second class citizens, but they weren't given the choice 'convert or die'.

I didn't mean to imply, and I accept that I did, that all followers of Islam convert others throughout history through threat of death, the second hand citizen status is as you say, the historical norm.

:thumbup:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby aliihsanasl » Mar 31, 2016 11:55 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Cake or death?

Cake or death?

The early Muslims may have treated Christians as second class citizens, but they weren't given the choice 'convert or die'.

During the Ottoman period non-Muslim communities were not allowed to have house higher than Muslims, could only ride donkey clearly they were second class but their life and even more important than that their way of life and so culture was under protection. In a dispute between two Jews, Greeks or Armenians their own law was applied. But to tell the truth that's the practice applied during Ottoman period as I said. What was the method of Arabians during conquering Iraq, Syria, North of Africa and Spain there are different views. Even Islamisation of Turkish tribes of Anatolia is a discussion topic among historians.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Sendraks » Mar 31, 2016 11:58 am

I've never even ridden a donkey. :(

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby tuco » Mar 31, 2016 12:03 pm

aliihsanasl wrote:

During the Ottoman period non-Muslim communities were not allowed to have house higher than Muslims, could only ride donkey clearly they were second class but their life and even more important than that their way of life and so culture was under protection. In a dispute between two Jews, Greeks or Armenians their own law was applied. But to tell the truth that's the practice applied during Ottoman period as I said. What was the method of Arabians during conquering Iraq, Syria, North of Africa and Spain there are different views. Even Islamisation of Turkish tribes of Anatolia is a discussion topic among historians.

While hardly applicable today, it was probably one of the reasons the so-called "multi-culturalism" actually worked then. It was practised in similar fashion in Christian Europe too, at least around 1400, and if so question, to me, what lead to the end of such practices? Nation states?
tuco

Print view this post

#20  Postby aliihsanasl » Mar 31, 2016 12:06 pm

Sendraks wrote:I've never even ridden a donkey. :(

They don't have A/C and never fast enough too cool down.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Islam