What is appealing about being a Muslim?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

What is appealing about being a Muslim?

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 04, 2016 12:32 am

They say Islam is the world's fastest growing religion. This frightens people so much you get loonies like Anders Breivik killing innocents and anti-immigration/asylum hysteria. Seems to me that in order to disable the beast that is Islam we have to understand why people follow it. What's so appealing?

One thought I have is that it's appealing to men because it prohibits polyandry whilst allowing polygamy. Didn't Freud (I know he's not exactly widely respected around here but still, even a stopped clock is right twice a day) say something along the lines that sexual repression and anxiety are the pivotal factors influencing the Zeitgeist of our era? All the rules about unaccompanied females being forbidden and their having to hide their beauty....these seem to me to be the primary orthopraxic (actions, not beliefs) features of Islam. Isn't it the anxiety over infidelity (all those polygamous muftis projecting their promiscuity onto their many wives) which drives the religion?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: What is appealing about being a Muslim?

#2  Postby DougC » Jun 04, 2016 12:38 am

I don't drink, so that might count for me.
However I'm not do keen on believing that a child rapist is the most perfect person who ever lived.

What else?

I like falafel...
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 04, 2016 12:47 am

DougC wrote:I don't drink, so that might count for me.

Me neither. Tentatively. Non-muslims are free to not drink though - I don't see how Islam would appeal unless you didn't want anybody else to drink either.

However I'm not do keen on believing that a child rapist is the most perfect person who ever lived.

That's just a belief though. Anybody can pretend to believe anything - it's actions and behaviour which are important IMO.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#4  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 04, 2016 12:52 am

Well, some things they share with other religions:
Communities
Dogmatic certainty
Hope for an afterlife
Purpose and justice

Why Islam?
Because they claim to be the ultimate message of the Abrahamic god?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby DougC » Jun 04, 2016 1:01 am

Keep It Real wrote:
DougC wrote:I don't drink, so that might count for me.

Me neither. Tentatively. Non-muslims are free to not drink though - I don't see how Islam would appeal unless you didn't want anybody else to drink either.

That's just a belief though. Anybody can pretend to believe anything - it's actions and behaviour which are important IMO.

I don't drink (now) because it gives me shocking headaches. I did in my younger years, but as 'don't drink' is a big one in Islam, I could do that no sweat. But that does not mean I could not have a drink tomorrow, I would not want to be told I could not drink. Fuck that. Its my choice.

Muslims believe that Mo is the most perfect person to have lived. Ever. Bullshit in my opinion.
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mazille » Jun 04, 2016 1:03 am

With relatively few exceptions: Because they were born among Muslims.
As for the exceptions: They spent a lot of time with Muslims and then went wrong somewhere along the line.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 04, 2016 1:28 am

Mazille wrote:With relatively few exceptions: Because they were born among Muslims.
As for the exceptions: They spent a lot of time with Muslims and then went wrong somewhere along the line.

I'm not so sure. 100,000 British Muslim converts? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-islamification-of-britain-record-numbers-embrace-muslim-faith-2175178.html

It says in the artricle that young white women are the most likely to convert because they're fed-up with all the immorality in western culture.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby DougC » Jun 04, 2016 1:43 am

Interesting article.

It seems that a lot are at a crossroad in life and become disgruntled with society. Islam, like other faiths, provides a system of rules to follow. People with weak or damaged psyche's are vulnerable to a system whereby all the troubles and problems of the world can be swept away.
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby bert » Jun 04, 2016 6:55 am

Keep It Real wrote:They say Islam is the world's fastest growing religion. This frightens people so much you get loonies like Anders Breivik killing innocents and anti-immigration/asylum hysteria. Seems to me that in order to disable the beast that is Islam we have to understand why people follow it. What's so appealing?

If you open the quran you'll find a chapter full of rules. When my eye fell on it, I recognised it for what it was: They are the actions of the marketing plan to spread the religion. By way of example: A man is allowed to marry a christian or jewish girl, but a muslim girl is not allowed to mary anyone other than another muslim man. The children in either case will be muslim. Similarly, when it comes to eating with other people it shouldn't be at their place. At their place, they are the host and the guest has to be grateful, respectful and not start a rowe. The host is on his home turf and it is harder to speak against him on religious matters. If they are over at your place, you provide them with the food of your religious tradition. With rules like that, you build in growth.

What you will not find in that chapter (or elsewhere in the quran, or in any other religious book), is anything indicative of supernatural origin. Bonus chapter 13 in my booklet (http://www.aGreatGift.org) is dedicated to the subject of the built-in marketing aspect of successful religions.

Bert
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Jun 04, 2016 7:46 am

The fastest growing demographic in the West is the nones. I wouldn't worry about it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Briton » Jun 04, 2016 8:02 am

Spot on. You wont be hearing much about the people who are rejecting Islam.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby don't get me started » Jun 04, 2016 9:28 am

Yep, one of my closest friends is originally from the Muslim community in Bradford. He was a lot more observant when I first met him some 20 years ago.
He still self-describes as a Muslim, but he's one of those beer drinking, pork eating, non-mosque going Muslims, married to a non-Muslim and his kids are not being brought up as Muslims....
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Alan B » Jun 04, 2016 11:09 am

Therefore he still 'self-describes' as a Muslim to avoid being called-out as an Apostate with the attached consequences? :ask:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby crank » Jun 04, 2016 11:27 am

The most appealing thing I could see about being a muslim would be how much it pisses off a lot of christians, but as an atheist, got that covered, so there would be no value added to switch. Anyone making a profound switch in what faith they adhere to is usually also profoundly troubled in some way, and not because they think western societies are too immoral, in what ways could you possibly think muslim societies are better?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#15  Postby don't get me started » Jun 04, 2016 11:43 am

Alan B wrote:Therefore he still 'self-describes' as a Muslim to avoid being called-out as an Apostate with the attached consequences? :ask:

That might be part of it. But I wouldn't really like to speak for him on this issue.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby don't get me started » Jun 04, 2016 11:57 am

crank wrote:The most appealing thing I could see about being a muslim would be how much it pisses off a lot of christians, but as an atheist, got that covered, so there would be no value added to switch. Anyone making a profound switch in what faith they adhere to is usually also profoundly troubled in some way, and not because they think western societies are too immoral, in what ways could you possibly think muslim societies are better?

And (some) Christians do indeed get their knickers in a twist. A member of a research group I'm involved with is from the Midwest US and married to a Japanese. Her family back in the US are pretty much down the bible thumping end of the spectrum. She astonished me one time by saying that she had to carefully select her computer position when she Skypes back to the US so that none of her family see any of her husband's Buddhist stuff in the background while they speak. Apparently her family can kind of accept that she married someone who is not a Christian, but when confronted by Buddha statues and household shrines and the like, the reality is too much to bear....
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#17  Postby laklak » Jun 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Fuck if I know. I could say the same for any religion other than Dudeism.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jun 04, 2016 8:50 pm

The appeal is not being subjected to the violent or social consequences of saying you're not one. I've just started working in a Muslim country, and it's obvious to me that most of the people couldn't give the slightest shit about it. But equally, no-one would openly announce to the world that they weren't a Muslim.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 14, 2016 4:06 pm

All the reasons given so far don't seem very pragmatic when compared to the reason given in the OP. I remember a documentary called something like "My brother the muslim" in which a 20ish white male british convert, when questioned as to why he converted, said "But what are we going to do about all the cheating?". He was a good looking boy I recken - tall, blonde, slim. Maybe one of his friend's girlfriends had tried it on with him or something like that. That shit can fuck with your head - it's happened to me in the past. He had a look of desperate panic on his face as he said it. I'm 80% sure it's behind Islam's popularity. As usual around here though nobody seems to agree with me.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#20  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Keep It Real wrote:All the reasons given so far don't seem very pragmatic when compared to the reason given in the OP. I remember a documentary called something like "My brother the muslim" in which a 20ish white male british convert, when questioned as to why he converted, said "But what are we going to do about all the cheating?". He was a good looking boy I recken - tall, blonde, slim. Maybe one of his friend's girlfriends had tried it on with him or something like that. That shit can fuck with your head - it's happened to me in the past. He had a look of desperate panic on his face as he said it. I'm 80% sure it's behind Islam's popularity. As usual around here though nobody seems to agree with me.

You're begging that the question that religion is not only a concious, but pragmatic choice.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Islam