"What ISIS Really Wants" - 'The Atlantic' Article

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: "What ISIS Really Wants" - 'The Atlantic' Article

#61  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 09, 2015 6:50 am

metacristi wrote:What points? Moving the goalposts to claim that Christianity leads to the same violence as Islam?

Nope.
Again, stop engaging with fantasy and adress what I really wrote.
My points about Chrisitanity, were purely about refuting your fantastical view about it.
They were not offered to prove anything in relation to Islam.

metacristi wrote:I told you from the beginning in that thread that you do not fully understand either Christianity or Islam (check with more attention for example the attitude toward Reason in the theology of islam and Christianity, also most of what you present as 'violence' has not been used even by the cardinals of Pope urban II to justify the crusades, you recreate Christianity in accordance with what you want to prove).

And I've told you're accusations of ignorance are not just completely baseless since you know fuck all about my knowledge in those area, they're factually incorrect.
It's nothing but blind dismissal. And it won't fool anyone.
You've failed to demonstrate my ignorance. All you offer is blind dismissal, wild off-base accusations and straw-men.

metacristi wrote:Waste of time to debate you. Sometimes you'll understand, let's at least hope, not my obligation to make you understand now.

Translation: I cannot adress the points being made so I'll dismiss them out of hand by blindly asserting my interlocutor isn't worthy.
Disengenuous horse shit that will be clear to everyone metacristi.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby THWOTH » Apr 09, 2015 8:04 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Thread locked for review.
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#63  Postby THWOTH » Apr 11, 2015 9:59 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Dear all,

I would like to encourage all participant to expend a little more time and energy in forwarding their own views than they have in recasting the views of others. Parsing inferences about the character, capacities, motivation, and/or the level of education on one's interlocutor serve only to raise the general level of contumely and lower the general standard of the conversation.

:cheers:
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby aban57 » Apr 11, 2015 10:22 am

Well, repeating the same shit over and over again, while playing the victim over inexistant attacks and failing to adress every single argument doesn't really improve the standard of the conversation either...
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 11, 2015 10:29 am

Nothing new then?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#66  Postby laklak » Apr 11, 2015 1:04 pm

SSDD.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#67  Postby aban57 » Apr 11, 2015 3:12 pm

same shit day and day ??
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Oeditor » Apr 11, 2015 4:45 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:The best way to defeat islam is education. It is the only way to restrict it in the west. It is working but again a slow process. We are only onto the third and at the most fourth generations.
In muslim countries natural evolution will have take place. Only when enough people realise how false it is will the scales tip but it is not going to happen tomorrow that is one thing certain. It will only happen if the so called moderates stop giving the extremists room and air to function.
Unfortunately, education away from religious indoctrination is negated in the UK by the Gadarene rush to get children into publicly funded religious schools. started by Blair and increased to lemming-like proportions by Gove.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Fallible » Apr 11, 2015 7:30 pm

aban57 wrote:same shit day and day ??

Same shit different day.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#70  Postby aban57 » Apr 11, 2015 8:23 pm

Fallible wrote:
aban57 wrote:same shit day and day ??

Same shit different day.

ok, thanks :thumbup:
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#71  Postby tuco » Mar 24, 2016 10:40 pm

7 Things I Learned Reading Every Issue Of ISIS's Magazine

http://www.cracked.com/blog/isis-wants- ... -magazine/

---
Listing for quick overview:

#7. The Islamic State's Official Publication Is Pretty Slick
#6. They Are Very Honest About Some Things
#5. They Are Unbelievably Media-Savvy
#4. Violent Reprisals Are Exactly What They Want
#3. Here's What Scares ISIS
#2. They Consider The U.S. A Reliable Source Of Weapons
#1. We Don't Really Understand How ISIS Sees The World
---

Last issue of Dabiq is #13, from here: http://jihadology.net/category/dabiq-magazine/, though personally I do not find it readable/understandable for many references I have no clue about. No tl;dr version?

Interestingly enough .. or not .. the last issue has article headed: Know your enemy.
tuco

Print view this post

#72  Postby metacristi » Apr 16, 2016 9:16 pm

aban57 wrote:Well, repeating the same shit over and over again, while playing the victim over inexistant attacks and failing to adress every single argument doesn't really improve the standard of the conversation either...

It is ironic that you have as signature a site which would agree almost 100 percent with me. Face it dude you, and especially that fanatic smatterer who started all this row, did not really understand my stance but for some reason decided to 'teach me a lesson'. No I'm not the 'fascist some seem to believe, if that's the perception the fault is rather in their big lacunae in the knowledge of this subject I'm afraid.

Yes there can be rational alternatives not only to the Saidist propaganda of our days (https://www.washingtoninstitute.org/upl ... Towers.pdf), or the author of the article in the OP but even to some of the views of let's say Bernard Lewis (part of the mainstream paradigm after WW2 before the advent of Saidism). Finally restating some dogmatic atheist materials about the nature of Christianity and the 'necessity' to take wholesale the Scriptures (there is no path from the basis of Christianity to accepting the primacy of unaided human Reason and so on) does not make them more credible, after all History itself offer the best defeater here.

Yes the same shit. From you and some others here (I do not want to generalize). And this will be my last post here, I wrote this only to make things clearer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-rev ... skept01-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-rev ... skept01-21 - scroll down the page to see my answer
metacristi

Print view this post

#73  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Apr 21, 2016 11:31 pm

metacristi wrote:Atheist fundie version.

Atheist fundie: Points out religious nonsense on a forum.

Religious fundie: Slaughters people.

I know which one I prefer...
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Islam