A letter for the sound "th"

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: A letter for the sound "th"

#21  Postby Orange Proximity » Apr 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Very interesting, especially the Unifon. Also, did not realise English had 44 sounds.
If I do not like you. I probably hate you.
Orange Proximity

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Saim » Apr 29, 2010 7:49 am

We don't really need complete one sound to one letter phonetic writing system. What we really need is a consistent writing system (i.e., a sound can be represented by a diagraph or can change based on the position in the word so long as you can always tell the pronunciation from the writing and vice versa).

Honestly, "ough" words like hiccough, through, trough, though, thought and bough are just ridiculous.
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby rJD » Apr 29, 2010 10:50 am

Saim wrote:

Honestly, "ough" words like hiccough, through, trough, though, thought and bough are just ridiculous.

And lough (Irish of loch, itself a curious spelling), and chough (nowadays pronounced "chuff", though originally "chow"), a bird of the crow family in South Western England).

There are almost certainly even more variants of this spelling - is it the worst example of English spelling variability?
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Berthold » May 08, 2010 12:52 pm

natselrox wrote:Th (as in Goethe) - থ

You really mean, "as in the heinous way how native speakers of English mispronounce Goethe". :mrgreen:
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#25  Postby jeepyjay » May 13, 2010 10:29 pm

In my scheme of simplified spelling http://www.mayhematics.com/w/spelling.htm
I redefine j and x to represent the sounds of th in then and thin.

A completely opposite approach would be to expand the digraphs th, sh, ch to include ph (= f), dh (= voiced th), gh (= j), zh (as in azure), bh (= v). This would save a few letters from the alphabet but make some spellings rather longer.

Phul phadhom phaibh dhai phaadher laiz ...

There are whole forums on Yahoo devoted to spelling reforms, eg:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spellingreform/
GPJ
jeepyjay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby RaspK » Dec 02, 2010 9:13 am

Paul1 wrote:So in our lovely language, called English, we have a few sounds formed by combining consonants. The first two that spring to mind are the, and thought. How t and h make these sounds is beyond me, and we, and five other western European languages (Danish, Portuguese, Catalan, Spanish: sometimes d; Welsh: dd) are the only languages retarded enough to borrow letters to form this sound.

It's time you Danish stop being lazy and start putting the cross back through the top of the d!

For example:
[thought||| the]
Icelandic: Þ, þ ||| Ð (upper), ð (lower)
Greek: Θ, θ/ϑ ||| N/A
Albania: θ ||| N/A
Hebrew: ט ||| N/A
Arabic: ث ||| ط

And then we have "ch" and "sh"...need I go on? :crazy:

EDIT: Corrected the example

Should that post used as a good reason for anyone to tell you that should stop being lazy for not finding out anywhere near enough, when Wikipedia would have provided you with more of the most basic knowledge on the subject? :nono:

In case you don't get what I am talking about, you may wish to research delta/δέλτα (Δδ), and lots more besides... Such as where the Icelandic letters were received from! :snooty:
RaspK

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Anubis » Aug 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Paul1 wrote:Arabic: ث ||| ط

The Arabic letter ط is not a "th" sound, but an emphatic and pharyngealized "t" nonequivalent to any English phone (I'd say the AAVE "what-the" comes the closest). Even if you put a dot above it to make it a "th," ظ, it's still emphatic (and voiced). ث is the same "th" as in "thick," and ذ the "th" in "those."

I'm a little late with the correction, but hell.
Anubis

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby MrFungus420 » Aug 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Saim wrote:We don't really need complete one sound to one letter phonetic writing system. What we really need is a consistent writing system (i.e., a sound can be represented by a diagraph or can change based on the position in the word so long as you can always tell the pronunciation from the writing and vice versa).

Remember...you can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter"...
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#29  Postby LucidFlight » Aug 07, 2011 8:26 pm

DoctorE wrote:Þ

Þeriouþly, guyþ. Þtop making fun of my liþp.

OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Linguistics