Ablaut Reduplication

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Ablaut Reduplication

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 27, 2021 5:10 pm

I'm not sure whether I truly ever researched this sufficiently, but I vaguely recall finding that ablaut reduplication is essentially universal among all human languages, not just PIE descendants.

But I've recently been wondering whether it isn't also true of other animals too - that sounds truly odd, when you think about it, but as far as I recall there's no real explanation for this phenomenon even in human languages. It'd be even more fascinating if it's something more ancient than some linguistic groupings of sapiens.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re: Ablaut Reduplication

#2  Postby hackenslash » Aug 28, 2021 2:35 pm

What a fascinating idea.

TBH, I always just assumed it was a throwback to baby-talk and didn't give it much thought beyond that. In fact, I'd probably go so far as to say that many of our literary devices possibly originate there, which is why they're so effective, because they're from our earliest imprinting.

I have no idea if I'm even in the ballpark, just spitballing my assumptions. Never looked too hard.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

Return to Linguistics