"An" before a "H" word.

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

"An" before a "H" word.

#1  Postby Animavore » Sep 04, 2011 7:28 am

I just recently noticed recently a lot of people don't put an 'an' before 'h' words where the 'h' is silent ('an hour' 'an heir' compared to 'a hollow' 'a hero'). Is this not practised every where?

EDIT: Some may have noticed I said "a 'h'" and not "an 'h'". In Hiberno-English we pronounce it 'haitch' not 'aitch'.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: "An" before a "H" word.

#2  Postby katja z » Sep 04, 2011 7:52 am

The rule is as you described it, I'm not aware of any differences on this level between the different varieties of English. It's just that not everyone follows the rules. ;)
ETA I suppose sometimes this might also reflect differences in pronunciation.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Sep 04, 2011 7:55 am

By the way, do English people say 'an horror' ' an hero' etc... seeing as you never pronounce your haitchs anyway? :lay:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby ughaibu » Sep 04, 2011 8:00 am

An whosit.
ughaibu

Print view this post

#5  Postby natselrox » Sep 04, 2011 8:00 am

Birth of Silent Letters

X: I say a word, you say a word starting with the last letter of my word and so on.
Y: Okay.
X: Dead.
Y: Duck.
X: Kfuck.
Y: But "fuck" isn't spelled with a "k".
X: 'course it is. The "K" is silent.
Y: No, it ain't!
X: I have a gun.
Y: Arright then...

*best read in an Eddie Izzard voice*
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#6  Postby redwhine » Sep 04, 2011 8:07 am

Noooooooooo! Not another Andrew4Handel thread! Pleeeze.
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby katja z » Sep 04, 2011 8:09 am

:tehe:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Animavore » Sep 04, 2011 8:10 am

Who is this 'Handel' that Andrew is for anyway?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Varangian » Sep 04, 2011 8:36 am

Anhimavore.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#10  Postby redwhine » Sep 04, 2011 10:03 am

Animavore wrote:Who is this 'Handel' that Andrew is for anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Frideric_Handel

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6yIgN54R7k[/youtube]
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scar » Sep 04, 2011 10:21 am

Animavore wrote:Who is this 'Handel' that Andrew is for anyway?

Andrew doesn't think that's the kind of information 4 you to handle.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#12  Postby The_Piper » Sep 04, 2011 11:34 am

I say "a historic" because the H is not silent in the US. Other than that, it seems about the same. My French-speaking mother also says "the letter haitch". :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby mraltair » Sep 04, 2011 12:06 pm

mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Blip » Sep 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Animavore wrote:I just recently noticed recently a lot of people don't put an 'an' before 'h' words where the 'h' is silent ('an hour' 'an heir' compared to 'a hollow' 'a hero'). Is this not practised every where?

Count me in: that's the rule I follow. That is, 'an' if the 'h' is silent.

I have noticed people saying 'an hotel', which I find odd. But then, I see 'of' replacing 'have' from time to time (as in, 'he might of dropped an aitch'). Repetition don't make it right ;-)
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby thaesofereode » Sep 04, 2011 5:09 pm

While we're on the subject of "h" words, I'm noticing with increasing frequency the phrase "might of," when people actually mean to say "might have" -- as in, "I might have left the door open." Is this also a result of unpronounced letters "h" in common usage?
thaesofereode

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby The_Piper » Sep 04, 2011 5:19 pm

thaesofereode wrote:While we're on the subject of "h" words, I'm noticing with increasing frequency the phrase "might of," when people actually mean to say "might have" -- as in, "I might have left the door open." Is this also a result of unpronounced letters "h" in common usage?

:lol: :lol: That one's grammatically wrong. They are spelling out "might've, could've, etc" the way it sounds.
I used to be a grammer nazi until Mozilla started using an automatic spell-checker. :oops:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby thaesofereode » Sep 04, 2011 5:36 pm

The_Piper wrote:
thaesofereode wrote:While we're on the subject of "h" words, I'm noticing with increasing frequency the phrase "might of," when people actually mean to say "might have" -- as in, "I might have left the door open." Is this also a result of unpronounced letters "h" in common usage?

:lol: :lol: That one's grammatically wrong. They are spelling out "might've, could've, etc" the way it sounds.
I used to be a grammer nazi until Mozilla started using an automatic spell-checker. :oops:

Yah. It's a bit more of a grammatical thing. But the use of "a" or "an" before an "h" word is a grammatical question, too, yes? And these questions have to do with pronunciation having an effect on how they're written out.

In any case, banish the thought — or even the slightest whiff — of my being a "grammar nazi." I've been roundly and thoroughly criticized (or "criticised" for our esteemed UK denizens) for bringing up points of grammar on this forum, so I've sworn it off . . . at least for now.
thaesofereode

Print view this post

#18  Postby The_Piper » Sep 04, 2011 6:05 pm

thaesofereode wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

Yah. It's a bit more of a grammatical thing. But the use of "a" or "an" before an "h" word is a grammatical question, too, yes? And these questions have to do with pronunciation having an effect on how they're written out.

In any case, banish the thought — or even the slightest whiff — of my being a "grammar nazi." I've been roundly and thoroughly criticized (or "criticised" for our esteemed UK denizens) for bringing up points of grammar on this forum, so I've sworn it off . . . at least for now.

The use of "a" or "an" before an "h" word is a grammatical question too, don't mind me. I was thinking of when I hear "an historic" spoken, it sounds off to me, while I don't detect "might of" in a conversation. Or your for you're. :lay:
Just kidding, I'm reformed too. :)
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Varangian » Sep 04, 2011 6:05 pm

thaesofereode wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

...but not without subtly correcting The_Piper's spelling of "grammar". ;)

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#20  Postby The_Piper » Sep 04, 2011 6:10 pm

I know how to spell grammar, but I did that by accident. I caught it after I posted but thought it belongs there. :lol:

I'm still used to calling myself a "grammer nazi" after correcting someone, so they know I'm messing around and not seriously upset about spelling. :shifty:
edit...or grammer.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Linguistics