Beginning sentences with "so"

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Beginning sentences with "so"

#21  Postby kennyc » Mar 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Blood wrote:I've noticed an alarming increase in the frequency with which people begin sentences with "so." Typically, someone is being interviewed on the radio, and the person asks a question, and for no reason at all, the interviewee inserts "so" at the beginning.

Q: Why did you go to Iceland in the dead of winter?
A: So I was sitting on a beach in Florida one day last summer, and I thought, you know, it's too hot down here.

This is a new phenomenon in grammar and I suspect it's limited to Americans, who also think it's fine to begin sentences with "Like."

It's incredibly annoying.

So. :naughty2:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Briton » Mar 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Double post.
Last edited by Briton on Mar 06, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Briton » Mar 06, 2013 5:21 pm

I've noticed this a lot when listening to science based podcasts. The American guests (mostly scientist types obviously) all seem to do it. Is this an example of a meme? I think it's arisen very recently and now seems ubiquitous. Seems a bit odd but I don't find it annoying as; say, Aussies ending every sentence as if it's a question, which has now spread to the UK.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Briton wrote:I've noticed this a lot when listening to science based podcasts. The American guests (mostly scientist types obviously) all seem to do it. Is this an example of a meme? I think it's arisen very recently and now seems ubiquitous. Seems a bit odd but I don't find it annoying as; say, Aussies ending every sentence as if it's a question, which has now spread to the UK.

I listen a lot of science related podcasts (Science Friday, Omega Tau, The Naked Scientist/Astronomer, etc...). This is where I hear it the most. I haven't really noted whether it was mostly British or Americans doing it, but I'll certainly pay more attention now.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby HughMcB » Mar 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Blackadder wrote:
HughMcB wrote:
Blackadder wrote:At least it isn't like the Irish, ending their sentences with so, so.

:lol:

What sort of 1950's Hollywood film are you living in?

I have Irish friends who do this. So.

None of my Irish friends do that, so. And I am Irish, so. Where are your friends from? Could be a regional thing.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Fallible » Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Ah shut up Hugh, ya big bollox.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Blackadder » Mar 06, 2013 6:52 pm

HughMcB wrote:
Blackadder wrote:
HughMcB wrote:
Blackadder wrote:At least it isn't like the Irish, ending their sentences with so, so.

None of my Irish friends do that, so. And I am Irish, so. Where are your friends from? Could be a regional thing.

I'm pretty sure my Dubliner friends don't but I know someone from Cork who does. I also have a friend from Galway and I seem to recall him doing it too, although my memories are influenced by the amount of Guinness and Jameson's I usually consume in his company so I could be talking bollocks there.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby orpheus » Mar 06, 2013 7:38 pm

I've noticed this as well. It often seems to be a substitute for "Well". Thus, instead of:

Q: "How did you come up with that idea?"
A: "Well, I was sitting at home one day..."

we now have:

A: "So, I was sitting at home one day..."

It's fucking irritating. I don't know when it started, but I began to notice it late last year.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Scarlett » Mar 06, 2013 7:43 pm

HughMcB wrote:
Blackadder wrote:
HughMcB wrote:

My mum lives in Ireland and she says a lot of the older Irish finish sentences with "....... god willing".

See you later, god willing.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby HughMcB » Mar 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Blackadder wrote:
HughMcB wrote:
Blackadder wrote:
HughMcB wrote:I'm pretty sure my Dubliner friends don't but I know someone from Cork who does. I also have a friend from Galway and I seem to recall him doing it too, although my memories are influenced by the amount of Guinness and Jameson's I usually consume in his company so I could be talking bollocks there.

Wow, I really haven't heard that and I'm from Cork. Animavore can probably comment on the Dubliners. I'll keep my ear out!
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#31  Postby HughMcB » Mar 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Scarlett wrote:
HughMcB wrote:
Blackadder wrote:
HughMcB wrote:

My mum lives in Ireland and she says a lot of the older Irish finish sentences with "....... god willing".

Yeah I could see that, old school Catholic thing there.

God is about to smite us at any given moment cause we're all a bunch of evil sinners. :shifty:
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#32  Postby mraltair » Mar 06, 2013 7:56 pm

I propose we replace so with Miaow. Does that make you feel better?

A: Miaow, I was sitting on a beach in Florida one day last summer, and I thought, you know, it's too hot down here.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Scarlett » Mar 06, 2013 7:57 pm

HughMcB wrote:
Scarlett wrote:
HughMcB wrote:
Blackadder wrote:

Yeah I could see that, old school Catholic thing there.

God is about to smite us at any given moment cause we're all a bunch of evil sinners. :shifty:

She's never seen such busy cemeteries either, she saw one one Sunday with an ice-cream van outside it :scratch:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby iamthereforeithink » Mar 06, 2013 8:33 pm

I find the preponderance of the word "like" even more irritating than "so". It seems to be especially popular among females below a certain age
- "She was like blah blah blah, and I was like really? and like I was like blah blah OMG! and she was like blah blah...."
Why can't these ladies converse properly with each other?
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Seabass » Mar 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Blood wrote:I've noticed an alarming increase in the frequency with which people begin sentences with "so." Typically, someone is being interviewed on the radio, and the person asks a question, and for no reason at all, the interviewee inserts "so" at the beginning.

A: So I was sitting on a beach in Florida one day last summer, and I thought, you know, it's too hot down here.

This is a new phenomenon in grammar and I suspect it's limited to Americans, who also think it's fine to begin sentences with "Like."

It's incredibly annoying.

Who gives a shit? What the fuck is wrong with you?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby NilsGLindgren » Mar 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Just to put it in context, these days, any Dane being interviewed in TV or radio will start his answer with, 'Yes, but'. Although in Danish. Of course.
Pray continue.
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
NilsGLindgren

Name: Nyarla Thotep

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Animavore » Mar 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Doesn't bother me.

Now starting sentences with, "As a Christian... " as if it validates succeeding dialogue...

:nono:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Blood » Mar 07, 2013 3:18 am

orpheus wrote:I've noticed this as well. It often seems to be a substitute for "Well". Thus, instead of:

A: "Well, I was sitting at home one day..."

we now have:

A: "So, I was sitting at home one day..."

It's fucking irritating. I don't know when it started, but I began to notice it late last year.

It seems to be a recent meme that only started rolling within the last couple of years. I guess you could credit the ever-increasing breakdown of education, especially in the USA, which has instead been replaced by social media. In the years of my youthful training (1970s), it must have been beaten into me that only an idiot would begin a sentence with "so" (unless you're asking a question), because I literally don't remember ever talking this way.
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 07, 2013 3:48 am

iamthereforeithink wrote:I find the preponderance of the word "like" even more irritating than "so". It seems to be especially popular among females below a certain age
- "She was like blah blah blah, and I was like really? and like I was like blah blah OMG! and she was like blah blah...."
Why can't these ladies converse properly with each other?

So, like, ermahgerd, this is cray-cray harsh and stuff. It's totes obvi ur prolly all, like, tragic and super old. YOLO. You know? But, whatevs.
Last edited by LucidFlight on Mar 07, 2013 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 07, 2013 3:55 am

So and so are so and so, so so and so sew so and other so to so and so so so and so are so, so, so, and so.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Linguistics