Blogger fired from language school over "homophonia"

Created perception school promoted a "gay agenda"

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Utah teacher fired for teaching homophones

#21  Postby Varangian » Aug 09, 2014 6:48 am

surreptitious57 wrote:What makes this even more sad is that it is happening in the most advanced nation in the world

...as of now. Continue with the aforementioned stupidity, and there will be another nation claiming that place.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 09, 2014 7:51 am

surreptitious57 wrote:What makes this even more sad is that it is happening in the most advanced nation in the world

Sorry? :scratch:

What is advanced about America?
You do read data I hope to make that claim. Read the OECD data. You might just change your mind a teenie-weenie bit.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Peter Brown » Aug 09, 2014 9:36 am

America, making the world's population feel good about itself since 1776. :)

Actually joking aside, this is a demonstration of a larger picture within America where the population have grown into a delusional insanity. Politicians, Fox News, Evangelicals, Educational centres and a host of others have been freely using the right to lie so that bigotry needs no quasi-logic to base its foundation. It only needs a catch phrase, a fake talking point, and a whole new psyche kicks into gear. Brainwashing at its finest.

For me this is why the 1776 experiment has failed.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#24  Postby campermon » Aug 09, 2014 12:02 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Duplicate topics merged
:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Homophonia Strikes Again in Utah!

#25  Postby lofuji » Nov 11, 2016 7:06 am

wtargentina wrote:They'll be lynching the paediatricians next.

Close. There was a notorious murder by a paedophile in the UK back in the 90s (I think) that provoked outrage because nobody knew the killer, who was known to the authorities because of previous offences, was living in the area. There were demos up and down the country, including one where the house of a leading paediatrician was daubed with the slogan "Fuck off paedo".
Blog: The View from Fanling (mostly bollocks, but some posts may be of interest).
...the emperor's cavalry on parade
lofuji

Name: Dennis Hodgson

Print view this post

#26  Postby Blackadder » Nov 11, 2016 7:59 am

surreptitious57 wrote:Obviously a serious story but there was a rather humorous aside to it since one of the examples given was ant and aunt
and someone over at the other place said they would have sacked them just for that. But that notwithstanding however
it is sad that this is happening in Twenty Fourteen. Similar to that other example in Texas where it was decided against
teaching algebra because of the unfamiliarity with the symbols which were not American. And as I stated then : do they
not realise that the number system is Indian and actually predates the discovery of America by many millennia. Ditto all
the Greek symbols too. What makes this even more sad is that it is happening in the most advanced nation in the world

If I may take slight issue with that last sentence (my bold). The USA has some of the most advanced technology in the world because of its elite universities and its military research programmes. However, it has always seemed to be a nation divided. For every smart scientist or professor, there is a back-yard full of ignorant yahoos armed with pitchforks who are suspicious and hostile to "stuff they can't figure". The recent election demonstrated that, IMO.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Matt_B » Nov 11, 2016 8:59 am

Blackadder wrote:If I may take slight issue with that last sentence (my bold). The USA has some of the most advanced technology in the world because of its elite universities and its military research programmes. However, it has always seemed to be a nation divided. For every smart scientist or professor, there is a back-yard full of ignorant yahoos armed with pitchforks who are suspicious and hostile to "stuff they can't figure". The recent election demonstrated that, IMO.

Most of them seem to have traded up their pitchforks to the closest thing resembling an automatic rifle that they're allowed to own these days, but other than that I agree.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Linguistics