Different Cultures and Languages

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Different Cultures and Languages

#21  Postby Aurlito » Apr 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Orange Proximity wrote:Who said Iranian are Arabs? If it an American, just call them Canadians

I despise this mistake/offence more than a simple verbal come back.
If your thoughts are the same as they were yesterday, your retired.
User avatar
Aurlito
Banned Troll
 
Posts: 652
Age: 28
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Different Cultures and Languages

#22  Postby Orange Proximity » Apr 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Aurlito wrote:
Orange Proximity wrote:Who said Iranian are Arabs? If it an American, just call them Canadians

I despise this mistake/offence more than a simple verbal come back.


People just don't know. Most of people only learn out of necessity and not willingness to learn. It is most likely that people who do not know that there is more difference between Arabs and Persians or Arabs and any other of peoples of Iran such a Baluchis or Kurds or Laks or Talish than between the Germanic or Slavic tribes of Europe simply never had a reason to learn.

I understand you despise the mistake, but a simple verbal come back is a way to open the conversation to educate, because everyone knows what they are not.

I used to get angry when people would mix me with whatever, or mispronounce my name, but humans simply don't know what humans don't know. :-)
If I do not like you. I probably hate you.
Orange Proximity
 
Posts: 436
Male

Print view this post

Re: Different Cultures and Languages

#23  Postby Agrippina » Apr 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Orange Proximity wrote:
Aurlito wrote:
Orange Proximity wrote:Who said Iranian are Arabs? If it an American, just call them Canadians

I despise this mistake/offence more than a simple verbal come back.


People just don't know. Most of people only learn out of necessity and not willingness to learn. It is most likely that people who do not know that there is more difference between Arabs and Persians or Arabs and any other of peoples of Iran such a Baluchis or Kurds or Laks or Talish than between the Germanic or Slavic tribes of Europe simply never had a reason to learn.

I understand you despise the mistake, but a simple verbal come back is a way to open the conversation to educate, because everyone knows what they are not.

I used to get angry when people would mix me with whatever, or mispronounce my name, but humans simply don't know what humans don't know. :-)


It's not lack of knowledge, it's simply laziness to learn.
When I was at school, in the "good old days" when dinosaurs roamed the earth, we used to have to discuss something in the news every day. We were expected to read a newspaper every day and at least one book a week and magazines were put into the school library. We were expected to know about other cultures and current events.

My kids grew up with two daily newspapers and extra newspapers at the weekends. We watched the news on TV and discussed the day's news around the dinner table. They still do this,although now, we watch TV news and read websites. But we still send each other interesting news items from the various sites we read. My husband still gets a daily paper and all the weekend ones.

This is how people learn about what's happening in the world. Parents and schools simply don't bother, either with the news or with discussions about current affairs, so kids grow up ignorant about everything outside of their own sphere of experience, and this is why you get someone who is a college student mixing up South Africa and Saudi Arabia, she simply doesn't know anything about them except that the names may be similar, so "what's the difference?"
Illegitimi non carborundum
User avatar
Agrippina
 
Posts: 36690
Age: 110
Female

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Different Cultures and Languages

#24  Postby Saim » Apr 29, 2010 7:31 am

Aurlito wrote:I'm happy that at least one specimen in this universe in aware that Iranians aren't Arab. no racism intended, but Arabs aren't very popular these days.

Some of them are.
User avatar
Saim
 
Posts: 1138
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Different Cultures and Languages

#25  Postby Saim » Apr 29, 2010 7:37 am

Orange Proximity wrote:
Btw. if you are.. is Persian still an "O.K." name?

I think I've heard Iranians call themselves Persian before... as far as I know, "Persian" generally refers to the culture, language, and majority ethnic/national group in Iran, while "Iranian" refers to the citizenship/nationality, but can also refer to Persians and related peoples (Baluchis, Pashtuns, Kurds) who speak "Iranian languages" (i.e., a language family with a common root language - not synonymous with the "languages of Iran").
User avatar
Saim
 
Posts: 1138
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Different Cultures and Languages

#26  Postby Berthold » Jun 13, 2010 10:32 am

Saim wrote:
[url=http://www.rational-skepticism.org/viewtopic.php?p=162087#p162087]Orange Proximity[/url] wrote:
Btw. if you are.. is Persian still an "O.K." name?

I think I've heard Iranians call themselves Persian before...

When you see a restaurant that declares itself as Persian, and some of its decorations refer to ancient Persian history, you can bet that the proprietors are not overly devout followers of the present Iranian theocracy. ;)
Berthold
 
Posts: 479
Age: 70
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Linguistics

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest