Fry's PLanet Word

New series on Beeb 2

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Fry's Planet Word

#21  Postby Emmeline » Sep 27, 2011 11:03 am

Ah - I didn't see the other thread - I've asked for a merge. Good to see it up on youtube for others!
Emmeline

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Fry's PLanet Word

#22  Postby Pulsar » Sep 27, 2011 4:02 pm

Saw it last night on the beeb. Very nice indeed.
Also, I saw the tv ads last week and I was immediately reminded of this youtube video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY[/youtube]
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Onyx8 » Sep 28, 2011 12:17 am

Pulsar wrote:Saw it last night on the beeb. Very nice indeed.
Also, I saw the tv ads last week and I was immediately reminded of this youtube video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY[/youtube]

Lovely.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby jaydot » Sep 29, 2011 7:41 pm

'twas every bit as good as expected. the lad's a natural born teacher.
jaydot

Print view this post

#25  Postby Mr.Samsa » Oct 17, 2011 6:52 am

A couple of questions for those who have been watching:

1) Does Fry only present the nativist argument for language (i.e. does he suggest that language is an "instinct" like Pinker suggests), or does he explore all the current theories?

2) I note that one of the summaries for the show suggests that he investigates why humans are the only species with this "gift": does this mean he doesn't delve into the research on animal language at all?

:cheers:
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#26  Postby Jehannum » Oct 17, 2011 8:16 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:A couple of questions for those who have been watching:

1) Does Fry only present the nativist argument for language (i.e. does he suggest that language is an "instinct" like Pinker suggests), or does he explore all the current theories?

2) I note that one of the summaries for the show suggests that he investigates why humans are the only species with this "gift": does this mean he doesn't delve into the research on animal language at all?

:cheers:

I think the standpoint of the programme is to accept that language exists and take it from there. There are a few references to origins of speech but not much neurolinguistic theorising.

Animal language was covered in the first programme; I had the feeling that Fry wanted to move on to human language as soon as possible since the conclusion was that animal languages are extremely limited.

He's a literary man more than a biology man. It's very different from what it would have been if Dawkins had made it. :)
Extraordinary claims require ordinary evidence.
Jehannum

Name: Peter
Male

Print view this post

#27  Postby natselrox » Oct 17, 2011 10:59 am

Fry's voice and accent! nomnomnom! :awesome:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 17, 2011 11:45 am

Last night was about writing.

I liked the bit about Chaucer. How he asked for more to be taken when copying his work.
It makes you wonder how the bible was copied. Apparently little care was taken about spelling as at the time there was no definite English language.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Mr.Samsa » Oct 18, 2011 1:55 am

Jehannum wrote:I think the standpoint of the programme is to accept that language exists and take it from there. There are a few references to origins of speech but not much neurolinguistic theorising.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to get around to watching it when I get time. :cheers:

Jehannum wrote:Animal language was covered in the first programme; I had the feeling that Fry wanted to move on to human language as soon as possible since the conclusion was that animal languages are extremely limited.

That's a shame, the research and extent of animal language is fascinating. It's unfortunate that it's so often overlooked due to overly narrow definitions of language - usually stemming from Chomsky's beliefs, which incidentally exclude a significant proportion of the verbal human population. I remember covering Chomsky's arguments on what constitutes 'language' in an evo psych course years ago, and we found that a guy in our class (who spoke normally, passed university exams up until that point no problem, etc) didn't meet the criteria for being able to use language.. :lol:

Jehannum wrote:He's a literary man more than a biology man. It's very different from what it would have been if Dawkins had made it. :)

:nod: Undoubtedly. However, I dare say that Fry's program would be much more evidence-based and less speculative than one made by Dawkins..
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#30  Postby ianryan1 » Oct 19, 2011 10:27 pm

biscuit
ianryan1

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Linguistics