Gender pronouns - the singular 'they'

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Gender pronouns - the singular 'they'

#21  Postby minininja » Sep 15, 2019 8:38 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
kiore wrote:The singular 'they' has a very long history and is not a modern politically correct invention at all.
Good article on this from the OED:
https://public.oed.com/blog/a-brief-his ... ular-they/

Yeah I've read that, but that's not actually the same usage at all. That's using 'they' to refer to an unspecified singular person, not a specified one.

But it shows it's also historically been used to refer to a specified singular person with an unspecified gender.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Ironclad » Sep 15, 2019 12:11 pm

Woke.. microaggressions.. fucking spare me! This decade is full of pretensious baby wimps. Grow the hell up
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#23  Postby laklak » Sep 15, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm woke as fuck, since about 8:15 AM. Might have a nap this arvie, though.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#24  Postby The_Piper » Sep 15, 2019 1:26 pm

Throw another shrimp on the arvie m'laddie?

"The seller told me they had already shipped it, but it hasn't arrived."

They motherfucker had lied.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Fallible » Sep 15, 2019 2:01 pm

:scratch:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby scott1328 » Sep 15, 2019 2:15 pm

Ironclad wrote:Woke.. microaggressions.. fucking spare me! This decade is full of pretensious baby wimps. Grow the hell up

i love the subtle insight, and nuanced analysis Ironclad gives to all her posts. She is why I visit this site everyday.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby The_Piper » Sep 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Fallible wrote::scratch:

I have a childish sense of humor, usually.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Macdoc » Sep 15, 2019 2:41 pm

arvie is afternoon ( arvo actually ) ...barbie and while the phrase is common no one calls prawns shrimp in Australia tho the phrase endures from Crocodile Dundee I think....Americanized.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#29  Postby The_Piper » Sep 15, 2019 2:50 pm

Macdoc wrote:

arvie is afternoon ( arvo actually ) ...barbie and while the phrase is common no one calls prawns shrimp in Australia tho the phrase endures from Crocodile Dundee I think....Americanized.

Is that where the phrase came from? :lol: :lol:
I figured arvie meant evening from Lak's sentence. Because it rhymes with barbie...I was being purposefully dumb.
As for the thread's subject, we already use they when the gender is unknown. We can also use it when someone is gender fluid, and to me it's the same thing, so doesn't seem unnatural to adapt that usage. Someone who is gender fluid
(or whatever other term means not necessarily male or female) is, from my perspective, an unknown gender.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 15, 2019 2:58 pm

I'm pretty sure a segment of every generation consists of spoilt, entitled crybabies. When those are the ones you pay attention to, it may give the impression there's a disproportionate number of them in that generation.

My mother thinks she had it particularly tough coming up. She never went to university and so never went into the associated debt, had two kids, owned cars and homes, had a high paying career, most of which she worked part-time in, retired at fifty-three to a house in Vancouver and travels intercontinentally for a month or more at a time up to three times a year. Based on the moaning of people like my mom, I often feel people in their fifties are entitled brats.

Truth is that segment probably is not representative of the entire generation.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby laklak » Sep 15, 2019 3:48 pm

I don't know if they're entitled brats, but I do know that the things they're bitching about are very privileged 1st world problems.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 15, 2019 3:54 pm

People who whinge about first world problems exist in every generation. What's reported on doesn't represent the generation as a whole, just some of what happens in humanities departments in North American universities.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Fallible » Sep 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Who cares whether wokeness or microaggressions point to entitled babies? If that connection can be made should we then automatically disregard their opinions or statements about what they would prefer? I’ve never understood this. It’s often been said that if you’re “too soft” on a child you’ll “ruin” them. Number one I’ve not seen anything that conclusively backs that statement up, but number two, who honestly thinks it’s their business to not “ruin” someone who isn’t even their child by paying attention to what they say? You can have any opinion you like on what you think of these “babies”. You’re just a reactionary twat if you think you can inflict your opinions on others by referring to them in the way you find acceptable, against their explicit wishes. Hence Scott’s comment above. What, exactly, does it cost you to be mindful of others asking specifically for something in relation to themselves?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#34  Postby laklak » Sep 15, 2019 4:29 pm

No reason not to try to respect their wishes, it's common courtesy. If someone wants to be refered to as 'ze' or 'they' or 'Elf Lord' I'll do my best to remember. Might slip on occasion, but it's no great shakes to at least try. If they take high umbrage at a slip of the tongue then I don't want to be around them anyway and will avoid their company in future.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Fallible » Sep 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Just to be clear, I wasn’t calling you a twat, lak. :)
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby laklak » Sep 15, 2019 4:59 pm

De nada, Fall. You can call me a twat whenever you feel like it. Hell, around this house it's a term of endearment. I think it's a Geordie thing.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#37  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 15, 2019 5:25 pm

minininja wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
kiore wrote:The singular 'they' has a very long history and is not a modern politically correct invention at all.

Yeah I've read that, but that's not actually the same usage at all. That's using 'they' to refer to an unspecified singular person, not a specified one.

But it shows it's also historically been used to refer to a specified singular person with an unspecified gender.

Can you quote the exact bit that shows that?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Destroyer » Sep 15, 2019 5:48 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:

Yeah I've read that, but that's not actually the same usage at all. That's using 'they' to refer to an unspecified singular person, not a specified one. It seems to me that people are using one historical usage to claim that a completely different usage isn't new. So that's why I'm interested to know if anyone has an example of it that goes back further than the fairly recent usage.

How is it fundamentally different? It's the same principle: using they for a singular person. What does it matter if that person is identified or not?

It matters in the same way that "a chair" is different from "the chair." It's a linguistically distinct usage.

Exactly.

Language has one purpose: to convey meaning! It matters not, whether I use the word turkey, when what I am actually referring to is a dog. All that matters is that the recipient of language grasps the exact meaning of its usage. If certain humans feel themselves to be gender neutral, and consider that languages, in general, have a tendency to misrerepresent their individuality, then, clearly, the solution is not to bring about ambiguity and confusion by using language that generally conveys a specific meaning, when what is now intended is to convey something totally different. The solution is clearly not 'they' when referring to specified individuality - this can only lead to ambiguity and confusion. The solution is to accept that language is not about individuality or gender, but the conveyance of meaning in a social context.
Destroyer

Name: Patrick Mills
Male

Print view this post

#39  Postby scott1328 » Sep 15, 2019 5:52 pm

everyone listen to Destoyer, she’s got it going on.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Destroyer » Sep 15, 2019 6:10 pm

scott1328 wrote:everyone listen to Destoyer, she’s got it going on.

Thank you. It matters not whether I am male or female, but that language is generally understood. If one wishes to convey meaning that deviates from usual concepts, then one has to be prepared to clarify.
Destroyer

Name: Patrick Mills
Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Linguistics