Het vs de

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Het vs de

#1  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 24, 2010 11:19 am

In Dutch, can anyone actually explain the use of "het" vs "de"?

As far as I know, het is used to identify an actual object, as "THAT man" or "THE train station", where "de" is just talking about "the train station" or "the man over there".
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Het vs de

#2  Postby Tursas » Mar 24, 2010 5:03 pm

It's simpler than that: grammatical gender. (Simpler as in you "only" have to memorise the gender of each word individually (or in groups in certain cases); there is no semantic difference between the two, for example.)
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Corneel » Mar 24, 2010 6:26 pm

Tursas wrote:It's simpler than that: grammatical gender. (Simpler as in you "only" have to memorise the gender of each word individually (or in groups in certain cases); there is no semantic difference between the two, for example.)

Maybe 914's confusion stems from the fact that when not stressed, "het" is often shortened to "'t" (as in "'t paard" in stead of "het paard") and when followed by a voiced consonant it might almost sound like a "d" (eg. '"t brood").
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Tursas wrote:It's simpler than that: grammatical gender. (Simpler as in you "only" have to memorise the gender of each word individually (or in groups in certain cases); there is no semantic difference between the two, for example.)

THAT'S your idea of "simpler"?

*sigh*

Ok, so "het" is used for all diminutives ending in "je" and for proper nouns, -isms, and worlds loaned from Latin or Greek.

Everything else is acceptable to use "de"?
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Corneel » Mar 25, 2010 1:49 pm

NineOneFour wrote:

<snip>

*sigh*

Ok, so "het" is used for all diminutives ending in "je" and for proper nouns, -isms, and worlds loaned from Latin or Greek.

Everything else is acceptable to use "de"?

Actually that is the simple version on that wiki page.

There are a lot of words that are not in the categories mentioned, some examples of some fairly common neuter gender words (which go with "het"): kind (child), paard (horse), varken (pig), schaap (sheep), schip (ship), brood (bread), bed (bed), station (station), hoofd (head), been (leg), oog (eye), oor (ear), vlees (meat, flesh), fruit (fruit), bier (beer), leven (life),...
(and that's just for starters).

And there are even exceptions to the rules mentioned on that page. For instance 'wijf' is a somewhat derogatory term for a woman, but is of neuter gender ('het wijf').

And just to remind you it's only latin loan words ending in -um (museum, mausoleum, unicum,...) and greek loan words ending in -ma (thema, panorama, drama,...) that are neuter. Most Latin or Greek loan words go with 'de' (logica, fysica, psychologie, crisis,...)

Also remember that gender reflects in what pronouns you use.

If it's any consolation, the plural always takes "de".
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Tursas » Mar 25, 2010 1:59 pm

You can use some of the rules given as guidelines, but probably a better way is to just learn the gender of each word when you encounter them (either by storing an extra bit of information in your mental lexicon alongside everything else, e.g. "{ WORD: spelling; pronunciation; meaning; HET/DE }", or by just remembering them as "het WORD" or "de WORD" instead of just "WORD" and then trying to think which it is). You'll have to check the dictionary, of course, but you'll probably be doing that anyway when learning a word.
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby katja z » Mar 25, 2010 3:08 pm

NineOneFour wrote:

Hey, don't complain. The language I'm trying to learn at the moment (err, that is ... that I should be learning) has SIX categories that function in exactly the same way as grammatical genders (hence, six forms of the definite article) and as far as I know some languages have even more. :grin:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 25, 2010 3:33 pm

NineOneFour wrote:In Dutch, can anyone actually explain the use of "het" vs "de"?

As far as I know, het is used to identify an actual object, as "THAT man" or "THE train station", where "de" is just talking about "the train station" or "the man over there".

De is masculine/feminine and het is neutral. All diminutives are neutral.

De man en de vrouw.

De jounger en het meisje. (meisje is a diminutive of the old Dutch word for girl "meid").

The annoying thing with languages what is neutral or masculine in one language doe not have to be the same in another.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Berthold » Mar 27, 2010 4:22 pm

NineOneFour wrote:THAT'S your idea of "simpler"?

Of course it is.

Just like in German. :grin:
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Mar 27, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm glad I speak a language that pretty-much dumped all this gender shite a long time ago.
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 28, 2010 12:07 pm

Horwood Beer-Master wrote:I'm glad I speak a language that pretty-much dumped all this gender shite a long time ago.

It does make it easier but loses colour. Mind you I do not envy Latin based language based speakers. The Germans dont do bad either.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Linguistics