Meanings of surnames

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Meanings of surnames

#21  Postby NineBerry » Aug 12, 2011 1:34 pm

"Schulze" is shortened form of "Schultheiß" originally in the old Germanic "sculdheizo" this literally means "taskgiver".

Sculd meant task
Heißen is an old Germanic word for "to say"

Meier, Schulz, Vogt, Vikar and some other names all were used for a wide and varying field of positions representing political power, while not holding any themselves: From the assistant of the emperor to a simple administrative clerk in a small village.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby NineBerry » Aug 12, 2011 1:45 pm

Delvo wrote:
The Romans in the old Roman republic & empire had family names, but the names I know of from central/northern Europe (like in English & German) are only a few centuries old. Did it take that long for that region to adopt the idea, or was it adopted, then dropped, then adopted again?

Yes, it is only a few centuries that family names are used in Germany with blanket coverage. They were just not needed before. If you look at older official documents concerning "normal" people, you often see how such people are identified giving a whole list of different properties that apply to them: Their profession, where they live and where they lived before and the nick names (not always charming ones) that people have given to them.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby Evolving » Aug 12, 2011 2:08 pm

hackenslash wrote:My name is an Anglicisation of Ó Murchadha, and it means 'sea warrior'.

My ancestors were the kings of Galway, and were allegedly responsible for the kidnap of St Patrick.

Oh, that was you?

Can we have him back now, please?
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#24  Postby cavarka9 » Aug 12, 2011 2:14 pm

my surname is a mixture of my grandpa's place + his name which is also name for a religious place, which means tirumala hills. :(
I was under the impression that it was another name for a mythical giant 1000 headed serpent the size of a planet. :( :( :waah:
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Scarlett » Aug 12, 2011 2:48 pm

My married surname is Coy, which is funny because I'm most certainly not :dunno:

My maiden name is Massie, which allegedly derives from Du Mass, which is an area of France. My grandfather said we were descendants of French aristocracy who fled France during the revolution. Ooh la la!
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Ironclad » Aug 12, 2011 2:50 pm

Evolving wrote:
hackenslash wrote:My name is an Anglicisation of Ó Murchadha, and it means 'sea warrior'.

My ancestors were the kings of Galway, and were allegedly responsible for the kidnap of St Patrick.

Oh, that was you?

Can we have him back now, please?

Bloody oIrish thieving gits! :nono:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#27  Postby james1v » Aug 12, 2011 2:56 pm

I have OBrien on me birf citificut. :think:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby NineBerry » Aug 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Paula wrote:
My maiden name is Massie, which allegedly derives from Du Mass, which is an area of France. My grandfather said we were descendants of French aristocracy who fled France during the revolution. Ooh la la!

So, that's why you are opposed to the London riots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: SCNR
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#29  Postby Scarlett » Aug 12, 2011 3:08 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Paula wrote:

So, that's why you are opposed to the London riots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: SCNR

:lol:
Off with their heads!

That was a joke :hide:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Anubis » Aug 12, 2011 3:11 pm

NineBerry wrote:Heißen is an old Germanic word for "to say"

What now?
Anubis

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#31  Postby NineBerry » Aug 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Anubis wrote:
NineBerry wrote:Heißen is an old Germanic word for "to say"

What now?

Huh?

Nowadays means "being called". For example "Ich heiße NineBerry" means "My name is NineBerry, I am called NineBerry".
My dictionary says it is related to the Swedisch verb "heda" which today has the same meaning.

Only seldom the verb "heißen" is still used with the meaning "to order someone to do something" or "to ask someone to do someone".

"Habe ich dich nicht geheißen, dein Zimmer aufzuräumen?" - "Didn't I tell you to tidy your room?"

The adjective "heiß" (hot, high temperature) has the same spelling, but the words are not related in any way.

"Ich heiße NineBerry" - "I am called NineBerry"
"Eine heiße Tasse Milch" - "A hot cup of milk".
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#32  Postby Anubis » Aug 12, 2011 3:53 pm

NineBerry wrote:My dictionary says it is related to the Swedisch verb "heda" which today has the same meaning.

Indeed, only it's "heta." "Wie heißen Sie/heißt du?" = "Vad heter du?" If I'm not mistaken, there is even an old English equivalent, "hight." Its correct grammatical use is archaic though, so I wouldn't know how to translate it from German or Swedish.

I was just a little thrown off by not having heard the word has ever meant "to order someone to do something" when I recognize the etymology of the word, being Swedish and studying German. Thanks for enlightening me though.

The adjective "heiß" (hot, high temperature) has the same spelling, but the words are not related in any way.

In Swedish we spell "hot" differently, so we won't have to embarrass ourselves saying "Ich bin sehr heiß."
Anubis

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#33  Postby NineBerry » Aug 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Well, there is a difference between "Ich bin sehr heiß (auf etwas)" and "Mir ist sehr heiß" ;-)
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby Anubis » Aug 12, 2011 4:39 pm

NineBerry wrote:Well, there is a difference between "Ich bin sehr heiß (auf etwas)" and "Mir ist sehr heiß" ;-)

My point exactly. =)
Anubis

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#35  Postby ramseyoptom » Aug 12, 2011 10:12 pm

On the Isle of Man a lot of the surnames have gaelic roots for instance Collister/Callister (both spellings occur and are pronouced the same "Collister") it is a shortened version of MacAllister. There are a lot of surnames which are mainly of Manx origin eg:- Kermode, Kinvig, interestingly in 'english' a lot of the names begin with either a "c" or a "k".

Kermode is from the gaelic " Mac Dhiarmada" son of Dairmaid (a freeman)

Kinvig is from the gaelic "Mac Con Bhig" = son of Cu Beag (little hound)

(The explanations are from 'Personal Names of the Isle of Man' by J J Kneen OUP 1937)

There has recently been a revival in Manx first names like "Orry", "Fenella", "Illiam", "Finlo". The first name "Juan" is common on the Island and is pronounced as spelt JuAN and not 'Wan', pronouncing in the Spanish way can cause offence. :)
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby DaveScriv » Aug 14, 2011 4:04 pm

Mine's a simple ancestor's job surname. Scrivener = scribe/clerk/writer.
There are several spelling variations, & it probably came to the UK with the Normans (originally 'Enscrivier'?)
DaveScriv

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Sciwoman » Aug 14, 2011 4:44 pm

My maiden name is Irish and means 'curly-haired.'
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Mononoke » Aug 14, 2011 5:03 pm

mine means 'tooth fairy'
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby cavarka9 » Aug 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Mononoke wrote:mine means 'tooth fairy'

you are not serious
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Agrippina » Aug 14, 2011 5:13 pm

My ancestors hail from here, they took the name of the place they came from.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Linguistics