Meanings of surnames

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Meanings of surnames

#81  Postby lobawad » Aug 17, 2011 9:26 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Anubis wrote:
NineBerry wrote:Heißen is an old Germanic word for "to say"

What now?

Huh?

Nowadays means "being called". For example "Ich heiße NineBerry" means "My name is NineBerry, I am called NineBerry".
My dictionary says it is related to the Swedisch verb "heda" which today has the same meaning.

Only seldom the verb "heißen" is still used with the meaning "to order someone to do something" or "to ask someone to do someone".

"Habe ich dich nicht geheißen, dein Zimmer aufzuräumen?" - "Didn't I tell you to tidy your room?"

The adjective "heiß" (hot, high temperature) has the same spelling, but the words are not related in any way.

"Ich heiße NineBerry" - "I am called NineBerry"
"Eine heiße Tasse Milch" - "A hot cup of milk".

But "das heisst..." can mean "that is, ...." or "that is to say...." , so you can find the meaning of "to say" as well as "to name" in the word.
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Nostalgia » Aug 18, 2011 12:47 am

Scottish names are pretty easy to understand. My surname and my user name means 'Son of Ivor'. It's a anglicisation of 'Mac Íomhair', Íomhair being the old Gaelic version of the Norse name Ivor.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 18, 2011 1:34 am

It's not mine, but the name 'Palmer" denoting someone who has travelled to the holy land and returned with a palm leaf to prove their journey, has always intrigued me.

My name is Ogilvie from Scotland apparently via Ireland, I named my son after a mineral, can you guess which one?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Pulsar » Aug 18, 2011 1:50 am

Onyx8 wrote:I named my son after a mineral, can you guess which one?

Beryl? Emerald? Jade? Jasper? Mica? ... Cummingtonite?

:hide:
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Nostalgia » Aug 18, 2011 3:34 am

Onyx8 wrote:It's not mine, but the name 'Palmer" denoting someone who has travelled to the holy land and returned with a palm leaf to prove their journey, has always intrigued me.

My name is Ogilvie from Scotland apparently via Ireland, I named my son after a mineral, can you guess which one?

Strontium? :ask: :shifty:

Ogilvie's is the name of a furniture store in Inverness, my nearest town bizarrely enough.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#86  Postby akigr8 » Aug 18, 2011 4:59 am

MacIver wrote:Scottish names are pretty easy to understand. My surname and my user name means 'Son of Ivor'. It's a anglicisation of 'Mac Íomhair', Íomhair being the old Gaelic version of the Norse name Ivor.

Ivar is used as a name today in Norway., I'm guessing it's related to Ivor.
Iver is a word in Norwegian and means zeal, eagerness, enthusiasm.
:wave: @ MacZeal
I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
akigr8

Name: Kim

Print view this post

#87  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 18, 2011 5:56 am

MacIver wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:It's not mine, but the name 'Palmer" denoting someone who has travelled to the holy land and returned with a palm leaf to prove their journey, has always intrigued me.

Strontium? :ask: :shifty:

Ogilvie's is the name of a furniture store in Inverness, my nearest town bizarrely enough.

Perhaps related.

I had the name of my son in mind but checked out other minerals; the only one that really struck me was Anusite which I thankfully put at number 2 on the list.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby murshid » Aug 18, 2011 9:09 am

210karman wrote:
murshid wrote:My surname is 'Islam'. :( :whine:

At least you have 1.5 billion followers. :)

:yay:

:smug:
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" – Douglas Adams
murshid

Name: Murshid
Male

Print view this post

#89  Postby Wiðercora » Aug 18, 2011 11:47 am

My surname derrives from the Saxon word freo, meaning free, as in not a slave. So yeah. I don't have a family name, so much as a designation.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Nostalgia » Aug 19, 2011 12:15 am

akigr8 wrote:
MacIver wrote:Scottish names are pretty easy to understand. My surname and my user name means 'Son of Ivor'. It's a anglicisation of 'Mac Íomhair', Íomhair being the old Gaelic version of the Norse name Ivor.

I've always thought my name was missing an 'x' or a 'z'.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Emmeline » Aug 19, 2011 7:31 am

MacIver wrote:
akigr8 wrote:

I've always thought my name was missing an 'x' or a 'z'.

Fascinating distribution of MacIver in 1881:

http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/Map.a ... &type=name
Emmeline

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Linguistics