No to Nynorsk

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: No to Nynorsk

#21  Postby MysteryTupperware » Jun 04, 2010 5:43 pm

juːtoʊpiə wrote:
Wanna study/live there :nod:

Hubby! You can come and live with me while you study!! :naughty2: And now that we are both 18... :drunk:
MysteryTupperware

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Ickypedia » Jul 06, 2010 7:33 pm

Blargh... I know this thread is dead, but someone has to stand up for Nynorsk.

It never had a fair chance... At first the educated classes preferred it, what with it being related to the Danish tongue which reflected their fancy schooling abroad... secondly it's never had much exposure in the media, which has really sped up the death of Nynorsk. Shedloads of papers not only writing in Bokmål, but also translating anything written by outsiders in Nynorsk, plus television to a large extent favouring dialects from the southeast, means people lose touch with the words that make Nynorsk its own language. Even a lot of people from the conservative west coast are neverminding it, because they've lost the intuition.

Iuno... maybe it's fair enough... I'd never use "korkje" or "byrgskap" (til dømes) in my daily speech... and there are a lot of examples like that... but I'm sure the animosity aimed towards it would be less pervasive if we all got more exposure... There's a reason why Bokmål is considered easy by people from all areas, whereas Nynorsk isn't... and it's not down to Nynorsk being inherently more difficult.
Ickypedia

Name: Eirik
Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#23  Postby timtom » Jul 07, 2010 7:02 pm

akigr8 wrote:

As established by law and governmental policy, there are two official forms of written Norwegian – Bokmål (literally "book language") and Nynorsk (literally "new Norwegian"). Historically, Bokmål is a Norwegianised variety of Danish ( Norway was in Union with Denmark for quite a while), while Nynorsk is a language form based on Norwegian dialects and puristic opposition to Danish (Nynorsk arouse after a nationalistic blossoming when we were freed from the Danes in 1814 (Napoleon war)).

I suppose being coerced at gunpoint into a union with Sweden is freedom of a sort :).
timtom

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Ickypedia » Jul 07, 2010 7:10 pm

At least we resisted them with much gusto in the two week war ;P
Ickypedia

Name: Eirik
Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post