Origin of the word 'Bamp'

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Origin of the word 'Bamp'

#1  Postby Riaz_Ali » May 09, 2010 11:02 pm

Can anyone enlighten me on the origin of the word 'Bamp'? My grandfather hailed from Preston, Lancashire, moving to South Wales in the sixties. From my earliest memory of a being a child in the seventies until his death in the late eighties I always called him 'Bamp' though cannot remember how I came to call him that. I can't remember any of my friends at the time calling their grandfather 'Bamp' though a later friend of mine who lived in Swansea called his grandfather 'Bampa'.

Typing 'Bamp' into the search engines at Askoxford.com or etymonline.com yields no results. Typing the word into Google brings up a lot of scattered references - many by random Facebook users who have entered a discussion on the use of the word but shed no light on how widespread it is used or its origins.
Riaz_Ali

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Origin of the word 'Bamp'

#2  Postby Jain » May 10, 2010 8:43 pm

My Blog- http://lucyjain.wordpress.com/

When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion. Then I go out and paint the stars. Vincent Van Gogh
Jain
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Origin of the word 'Bamp'

#3  Postby aspire1670 » May 10, 2010 8:51 pm

I grew up in Dorset where grandfathers were often called by the welsh term Bampy. Bamp is a shortened version of bamby
psikeyhackr wrote: Physics is not rhetorical pseudo-logic crap.

I removed this signature at the request of another member.
aspire1670

Male

Print view this post

Return to Linguistics